LW Cole Eiserman - USNTDP U18 (2024 draft)

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
One trick poney but the trick is to score goals...

Might fall from the 2nd position he held for a long period, but won't be available passed the 5-6th overall..

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
I didn’t have the time to watch him this year. Is it true that he’s kind of lost in the offensive zone if someone doesn’t pass him the puck for him to shoot? That’s something i’ve heard some say.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I didn’t have the time to watch him this year. Is it true that he’s kind of lost in the offensive zone if someone doesn’t pass him the puck for him to shoot? That’s something i’ve heard some say.
I wouldn’t use the word lost. More like disinterested. I think he’s processing the game with the other players, but is waiting to be delivered the puck. Occasionally he’ll throw a hit or something like that, but he’s like a pure sniper in mentality.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
I wouldn’t use the word lost. More like disinterested. I think he’s processing the game with the other players, but is waiting to be delivered the puck. Occasionally he’ll throw a hit or something like that, but he’s like a pure sniper in mentality.

The question is how good he is at finding the soft spots. Shooting ability alone doesn't make for a great goal scorer, the best ones seem to have an instinct on where to be.

For all the highlights that Brett Hull had where he ripped a shot past someone, he scored a crap ton of opportunity goals where he slipped free and just got something on net that the goalie wasn't ready for, or somehow was there uncovered to clean up some garbage, etc..

Reactions: Blueston

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
The question is how good he is at finding the soft spots. Shooting ability alone doesn't make for a great goal scorer, the best ones seem to have an instinct on where to be.

For all the highlights that Brett Hull had where he ripped a shot past someone, he scored a crap ton of opportunity goals where he slipped free and just got something on net that the goalie wasn't ready for, or somehow was there uncovered to clean up some garbage, etc..
He’s good at that, but not great. Cole Caufield is great at that and it’s why he’s so good with more modest ability. Eiserman does a lot of his damage from hammering the puck hard when everyone knows it’s coming, although he does have decent sense of where to be, to be fair to him.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
Cool article in The Athletic:

Great read and there are a lot of positives I took, but the following quote really bothers me:

“I think I have a pretty well-rounded game, it just gets overlooked because of how much I score. It’s almost one of those things where the scoring rates work against you (…) And my 200-foot game from last year has gotten really good. My coaches are saying that it’s definitely not a problem anymore and it’s perfect.”

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Great read and there are a lot of positives I took, but the following quote really bothers me:

“I think I have a pretty well-rounded game, it just gets overlooked because of how much I score. It’s almost one of those things where the scoring rates work against you (…) And my 200-foot game from last year has gotten really good. My coaches are saying that it’s definitely not a problem anymore and it’s perfect.”
I agree, that quote made me raise my eyebrows. No matter how good you are at age 17, you're in a better spot if you know that you have an incredibly long way to go. If you think you're already a finished product when you're not even done growing your body and brain, you have an attitude issue that needs to change. For me Eiserman is a pass in the top 10. But I don't get paid to scout and draft players, just my gut.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I think GMs are more and more looking for kids with growth mindsets. These things are probably identified well before the combine interviews but certainly revealed in those interviews.

This one quote points towards Eiserman having a fixed mindset. Suggestive that he won't put in the extra work to reach his potential.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

I wouldn’t take much from that. If he actually believed it, that’d be bad, but plenty of elite athletes deflect off their failures. Not everyone wants to be open and vulnerable about that, especially in a macho and competitive sport.

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ
I wouldn’t take much from that. If he actually believed it, that’d be bad, but plenty of elite athletes deflect off their failures. Not everyone wants to be open and vulnerable about that, especially in a macho and competitive sport.
I will start off by admitting that I have only seen highlights of this player, so my opinion has little value.

I was intrigued by this player last season as the Habs have been bereft of forwards that can score naturally for almost 4 decades.

That being said, I have cooled on this player as it appears that his development has plateaued this year, and he 'just scores goals'.

Some teams may be ok with this, but I hope that the Habs go in another direction. Personally, I have an aversion to prospects who are considered fallers in their draft years.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Yep. It’s not good.

This is where teams have to make a decision. He’s 17 and really young. Does this represent immaturity that can be fixed or is it who he’ll always be? How coachable is this guy?

Personally I’m in the camp that he can be molded and developed. But I can see why others may not see it that way.

I agree, that quote made me raise my eyebrows. No matter how good you are at age 17, you're in a better spot if you know that you have an incredibly long way to go. If you think you're already a finished product when you're not even done growing your body and brain, you have an attitude issue that needs to change. For me Eiserman is a pass in the top 10. But I don't get paid to scout and draft players, just my gut.
I think the talent is too good to pass up. That shot’s insane. But you’d better be putting him in the right environment and work on development.

Especially at 17… this kid isn’t fully cooked yet.

I will start off by admitting that I have only seen highlights of this player, so my opinion has little value.

I was intrigued by this player last season as the Habs have been bereft of forwards that can score naturally for almost 4 decades.

That being said, I have cooled on this player as it appears that his development has plateaued this year, and he 'just scores goals'.

Some teams may be ok with this, but I hope that the Habs go in another direction. Personally, I have an aversion to prospects who are considered fallers in their draft years.
Bossy, Caufield both fell in their draft years. Brett Hull went very low as well.

Canadiens drafted Napier ahead of Bossy because they didn’t think Bossy had a complete game. It was a huge regret of Polloch’s later on.

Sometimes you just take the talent…

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Hi everyone, here's my Video Scotuing Report on Cole Eiserman.

Nice video. I agree with most of what you said, especially the d zone turnover stuff.

He could create his own offense as a U17 player. That's gone from his game now. That's my biggest concern is his developmental arc. He looked like an elite talent when he came to NTDP. He dominated the U17 challenge. He really hasn't gotten better since then. I thought he'd turn the corner at some point this season, but he hasn't. Is this another case of a player that peaked relative to his peers at 16?

Another question I have is Eiserman dumb or is he selfish? Maybe a bit of both. He forces a lot.

I still like him, simply because I believe he can fill the net at the NHL level. I can live with turnovers if he's potting 40+ a year. But I've liked him less and less as the season has gone on. I do believe the skillset is there, but his deployment will be important. He's risky.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I think the hate on his game is definitely warranted.. I actually think the guys currently talked about in that latter half of the Top 10 don't get enough hate. A ton of these high upside guys have gross stuff in their game too. I think Eiserman, for all his flaws, could and probably should still go around 5th.

I think he's actually a pretty good skater. His shot is obvious. He does play physical and does use his size. His hands aren't bad. I've seen people say Mantha and I think thats quite harsh.

@95snipes says is he dumb or selfish? I think he is just dumb.

Last edited:

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Bossy, Caufield both fell in their draft years. Brett Hull went very low as well.

Canadiens drafted Napier ahead of Bossy because they didn’t think Bossy had a complete game. It was a huge regret of Polloch’s later on.

Sometimes you just take the talent…
Those guys fell for other reasons. It was obviously about size with Caufield. Hull was complicated in several ways.

I have never ever believed for a second what held Bossy back in the draft was his 200' game, and not the fact that he was "different." It's speculative, because there was a lot of stigma back then, but in these somewhat more enlightened days he'd come across as neurodivergent in a totally benign way (and, btw, yes, I met him, and knew many people who knew him).

As a NYI fan I see some of Eiserman's play & I see a lot of the same things I saw with Bellows, and Wahlstrom: guys with big shots getting fed by elite centers. I see that James Hagens will be a star.

Goon42

Apr 12, 2013
Those guys fell for other reasons. It was obviously about size with Caufield. Hull was complicated in several ways.

I have never ever believed for a second what held Bossy back in the draft was his 200' game, and not the fact that he was "different." It's speculative, because there was a lot of stigma back then, but in these somewhat more enlightened days he'd come across as neurodivergent in a totally benign way (and, btw, yes, I met him, and knew many people who knew him).

As a NYI fan I see some of Eiserman's play & I see a lot of the same things I saw with Bellows, and Wahlstrom: guys with big shots getting fed by elite centers. I see that James Hagens will be a star.

Ahh yes very neurodivergent in a totally benign way (what the hell are you talking about)

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
The only reason this guy isn't a top 10 or even top 5 pick for me is because of his hockey IQ/playmaking ability. He is way too simple minded when it comes to playmaking. He forces stuff and he is narrow minded when attacking the goal. His vision is questionable and he will make up his mind on whether he is going to pass or shoot too far in advance. I don't see this kid thinking at a high enough level to warrant a top 10 pick. I had similar concerns about Oliver Moore last draft

Reactions: Blueston

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don’t think his passing accuracy is that good either. He misplaces way too many passes than you’d want for an elite skill top 6 forward, which may not be what he is. He might be a sniper only. His actual skill level is a little questionable I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad