LW/C Jonathan Dahlen (2016, 42nd, OTT; traded to VAN; traded to SJS)

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
7 points in 10 games so far and +3

He's not really doing anything fancy, but he's putting himself in a good position to score very often - in the crease, in the slot, at the side of the net, etc - and has been very good at converting those chances. I haven't noticed too much how he's playing away from the puck, though I can't think of many errors there, so I think he's been generally competent defensively, is really playing well with his linemates, and just has a knack for going to the right places to score.

I don't think he's going to be a major play driver, but I think he's demonstrating the ability to perform at a 20 G, 30 A level for a few years. A legitimate top six forward, albeit not one you would want being the guy on his line, and a very useful player to have.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
He's not really doing anything fancy, but he's putting himself in a good position to score very often - in the crease, in the slot, at the side of the net, etc - and has been very good at converting those chances. I haven't noticed too much how he's playing away from the puck, though I can't think of many errors there, so I think he's been generally competent defensively, is really playing well with his linemates, and just has a knack for going to the right places to score.

I don't think he's going to be a major play driver, but I think he's demonstrating the ability to perform at a 20 G, 30 A level for a few years. A legitimate top six forward, albeit not one you would want being the guy on his line, and a very useful player to have.
Agreed. He's looked not like a world beater, but a legit top 6 forward with some skill, smarts, and decent enough defensive ability. Seems fairly versatile. I remember when the Sharks got him, my dad was upset and I said "meh, he won't amount to anything," For a couple of years I looked to be right. Now it looks like he was right. Any team would be happy to have him.

EDIT: Didn't realize the Sens drafted him. I thought the Nucks did. Kind of surprised this is his 3rd organization.

Reactions: Sandisfan

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Agreed. He's looked not like a world beater, but a legit top 6 forward with some skill, smarts, and decent enough defensive ability. Seems fairly versatile. I remember when the Sharks got him, my dad was upset and I said "meh, he won't amount to anything," For a couple of years I looked to be right. Now it looks like he was right. Any team would be happy to have him.

EDIT: Didn't realize the Sens drafted him. I thought the Nucks did. Kind of surprised this is his 3rd organization.

Traded to VAN for Burrows!

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
So after 7 points in the first 10 games, it's now 14 in 31. Cold streak or just coming back to Earth?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
19 points in 39 games is bad how? He also works hard and takes care of defensive duties. Still learning to play on small rinks too. 2 goals against Florida yesterday btw.
1. You are quoting the post I made 3 weeks ago, congrats on patiently waiting for the right moment. Of course, it all looks much better now after he just had 4 points in 3 games.
2. The post was a question that one of Sharks fans kindly answered. I wasn't judging if it was good or bad, I was asking what was happening. The difference between being on pace for 30 and 50 points is huge for that kind of player.
What’s the upside on this guy? His numbers in the SEL are crazy high.
He never played in the SEL/SHL, therein lies the whole mystery.

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012

I remember him on the Canucks and he was as you describe but not quite "there" yet. He had a lot of decent skills, but seemed just below the level he needed to be to stay on an NHL roster consistently. Seems like he has worked on all those little things to make him better in every facet, and in turn made himself a very useful player. Perhaps a guy that just needed a little longer to put it all together. Wish it had been with the Canucks but happy to see him doing well on the Sharks.

Last edited:

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I remember him on that Canucks and he was as you describe but not quite "there" yet. He had a lot of decent skills, but seemed just below the level he needed to be to stay on an NHL roster consistently. Seems like he has worked on all those little things to make him better in every facet, and in turn made himself a very useful player. Perhaps a guy that just needed a little longer to put it all together. Wish it had been with the Canucks but happy to see him doing well on the Sharks.
Another player Benning gave up on just like McCaan and Forsling :ha:

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
6 points in his last 17 games, and -14.

I haven't watched him play this year, but have some interest as a former Canucks prospect. He always seemed to me like a guy who if he wasn't scoring, he wasn't helping. Sharks fans, Is that the case, or has he just hit a dry spell?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
19 points in 39 games is bad how?
6 points in the last 20 games, -14 and demoted to the 4th line tonight. Played 10 minutes last night against Vancouver, remains to be seen but probably around the same tonight. Still good or are we allowed to ask questions at some point?

Edit: so 8.37 and -1 tonight. Almost 2 of those minutes are still on PP though.

Last edited:

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
6 points in the last 20 games, -14 and demoted to the 4th line tonight. Played 10 minutes last night against Vancouver, remains to be seen but probably around the same tonight. Still good or are we allowed to ask questions at some point?

Hes struggling, but the team is also struggling. Our coaching staff has no idea what they are doing with lines because we have far worse players playing over him

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

Congrats, he's a bust. Stroke yourself off for being so right.
south-park-thats-terrible.gif

Reactions: Bowie22

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad