LW/C Jonathan Dahlen (2016, 42nd, OTT; traded to VAN; traded to SJS)

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Those 2 guys played in the NHL so long ago I literally haven't heard of them, I might have not even been born yet when they retired.

The rest of the list were complete non-impact pluggers, Zuccarello (who became an actual NHL player 3 years after playing in the SHL) and Franzen (who moved to the NHL 16 years ago and is also long retired).

So yes, once in a blue moon players like that emerge. Can you also make a list of SHL guys who didn't do anything? Like you know, the list guys like Wandell, Everberg or Nygard actually belong to.

Yup, found your problem ma’am.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
What were you, 7/8 when you made your account?
No but I haven't googled those guys so for all I knew at the time they might have retired in the 90s. Now, upon googling, they retired from the NHL when I was 11. As a boy growing up in Eastern Europe where NHL games are not broadcasted and played in the middle of the night I knew next to no NHL players, never mind some 2 random Swedish guys. In any case, my personal background aside, they retired from the NHL 17 years ago.

orginally they came from swedish leagues
Yes, Swedish players come from Sweden, that's one of the main reasons why they are Swedish. I don't think we were ever debating that.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
No but I haven't googled those guys so for all I knew at the time they might have retired in the 90s. Now, upon googling, they retired from the NHL when I was 11. As a boy growing up in Eastern Europe where NHL games are not broadcasted and played in the middle of the night I knew next to no NHL players, never mind some 2 random Swedish guys. In any case, my personal background aside, they retired from the NHL 17 years ago.

Yes, Swedish players come from Sweden, that's one of the main reasons why they are Swedish. I don't think we were ever debating that.

arvedsson was far from random. Finished 2nd in Selke voting in his second NHL season, Averaged almost 45 points/season through his career with virtually zero PP time.

Magnus Arvedsson

dackell 30+ points 8 season in row.

both of them should have been on olympics 1998.

Markus Näslund - Peter Forsberg - Ulf Dahlen
Mikael Renberg - Mats Sundin - Daniel Alfredsson
Jörgen Jönsson - Michael Nylander - Niklas Sundström
Andreas Dackell - Mats Lindgren - Magnus Arvedsson

how many of these guys do you know? :laugh:

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
5: Naslund, Forsberg, Sundin, Alfredsson and Nylander. I'm going to guess they simply played the longest or had the biggest impact even late in their careers.

thats funny becuse jonathan dahlens dad is ulf dahlen :laugh::laugh:

suprised you never heard of renberg, legion of doom and all that. Leclair - Lindros - Renberg is one of the best lines ever.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
suprised you never heard of renberg, legion of doom and all that. Leclair - Lindros - Renberg is one of the best lines ever.
I have heard of them much like I have heard of many players from the 60s, 70s, 80s, etc. But I wouldn't say I know them as players in the real sense of the word in this context.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
He scored an impossible-to-see tip (if you can even call it that) and an empty net tap-in. Hardly the time to eat the crow yet.

i mean, he plays on first line together with couture and meier. he gotta have done something in the camp to get the chance to play that high up. not saying he is gonna be a ppg or something, but i think he could be a guy who does 40 points

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
i mean, he plays on first line together with couture and meier. he gotta have done something in the camp to get the chance to play that high up. not saying he is gonna be a ppg or something, but i think he could be a guy who does 40 points
They kinda just pencilled him in there to start with but he played well enough that they never had a reason to take him off the line. He's been looking solid. I'm hoping for 40-50 points but we'll see.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
A snowball’s chance in hell of being an NHLer. Right before that, someone said it’ll be a win if he just isn’t waived.
I said "meaningful impact". But I missed the post talking about waving I guess.

Most of these European FA signings: Tkachyov, Prokhorkin, Gusev, Brunner, Omark for example, start out playing high up because that's what they are suited for and teams obviously have invested interest in their success. Some of them even end up with pretty good numbers before they fizzle out. So these 2 goals haven't changed much in the overall picture.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I said "meaningful impact". But I missed the post talking about waving I guess.

Most of these European FA signings: Tkachyov, Prokhorkin, Gusev, Brunner, Omark for example, start out playing high up because that's what they are suited for and teams obviously have invested interest in their success. Some of them even end up with pretty good numbers before they fizzle out. So these 2 goals haven't changed much in the overall picture.

yeah i guess you are right. but dont you see the skillset dahlen actually has? if he fails in NHL i dont see how he dont turns out to be a very good KHLer, SHLer, NLAer.

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
He needed a wakeup call, getting dumped out of the Canucks organization helped achieve that. He assumed he would be gifted a spot next to EP due to their time together at Timra, and didn't put the work in when that didn't happen.

Happy to see him finally work for an opportunity and get it. He's looks like a completely different player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad