LW Andreas Johnson - Frolunda, SHL (2013, 202nd, TOR)

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Another kick in the teeth to Leivo if AJ gets in and he sits. Good for AJ though, should be an exciting game for him.
Leivo's in a tough spot. He's got a nice skill set and good size, could probably be a solid 2nd or 3rd line winger on a decent number of NHL teams, but Toronto has quite good winger depth. We've got 11 wingers who probably "should" be NHL regulars (Nylander, Marner, Marleau, Hyman, JvR, Brown, Kapanen, Komarov, Leivo, Martin, Johnsson), but only 8 spots. Tough for Leivo to earn a consistent spot, especially when he's not a great fit on a 4th line.

Johnsson is IMO a better fit for the 4th line than Leivo, and I personally think he's got higher overall upside too, but it'll be very tough for him to stick on the team this year, I do expect him to be sent down once Matthews is back. For Johnsson to keep his spot when Matthews is back, he has to beat out Leivo, Martin AND one of Komarov/Kapanen/Brown, which I think is unlikely (Kapanen has been excellent, Komarov and Brown I've been less psyched about, but Babs seems to love what they bring).

If we let JvR and Komarov walk, and trade Martin, it'll be much easier for both Leivo and Johnsson to stick next year, but those are significant "ifs".

Last edited:

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON

Just posted this on the Leaf's page, but it makes me smile so I hope it makes you smile too. This GIF had me hyped on Johnsson a while back.

Reactions: Kelly

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
Or he isn't. I mean he is already signed for next season lol.

He sat for 40+ straight games.

If you're going to burn a roster spot with a guy, at least make sure you can use him.

Babcock will make sure they move Leivo.

Leivo won't stand in the way of Johnsson or even Grundstrom.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
He sat for 40+ straight games.

If you're going to burn a roster spot with a guy, at least make sure you can use him.

Babcock will make sure they move Leivo.

Leivo won't stand in the way of Johnsson or even Grundstrom.
Grundstrom won't have a roster spot next year. Leivo and Johnsson could realistically slide in and replace JVR and Komorov next year. I think it is kind of silly to think that just because they prefer other players over Leivo to think that means they don't value him at all. They wouldn't have protected him in the expansion draft....or extended him if they didn't value him. This isn't to say I absolutely think he will be here next year either but it is far to premature to say he is absolutely out the door.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
1. Leivo is gone IMO, even if it doesn't seem like much they could find a spare forward and save 250-300k. I think he is moved in the off-season .

2. Congrats Johnsson.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He was buzzing out there! On top of the goal he had 7 shots, was named 2nd star of the game.

Still think he gets sent back down when Matthews and Komarov come back, though. When we’re healthy, he’d need to take the spot of one of Leo/Brown/Kapanen, and I don’t see Babs doing that. He’s getting a nice taste of the NHL now, though, and I expect him to make the team full time next season.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
I've watched the last three Marlies games and Johnsson is simply too good for this league. I think he could seriously be a dark horse calder nominee as long as he starts the season strong and earns Babcocks trust quickly (to get more minutes).

Reactions: LeafChief

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
The AHL brass might have to do an investigation into him because it looks like he's been using cheat codes in the playoffs.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
15 points in 9 playoff games...

Best player in the AHL right now and it's not close. I mentioned it on the Leafs board but he's one of the best forwards i've seen on the Marlies in the past 10 years and it's getting to the point where I think he's had a better year than one of my all time AHL favourites in Kapanen, although Kapanen was much younger in his dominant season. Johnsson's consistency and drive train are what separates him from most other stars at this level; he has the skill to outright dominate and score at rate that is impressive in itself, but he grinds out pucks in dirty areas and battles in a way that is uncharacteristic of a skilled sniper. Sometimes he literally dives head first after pucks in the crease.

Since being sent down post-Boston series, the Marlies are 9-0 with Johnsson and have swept two consecutive teams, including the Phantoms who were the 2nd best club in the AHL but looked like an ECHL team, despite boasting a defence with names like Sanheim, TJ Brennan, Freidman and Myers.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
I've watched the last three Marlies games and Johnsson is simply too good for this league. I think he could seriously be a dark horse calder nominee as long as he starts the season strong and earns Babcocks trust quickly (to get more minutes).
Does he still have that eligibility? If so, yeah, his very high end potential for next year is an Arvidsson like season so dark horse indeed.

Just depends which line he's on

weems

Jul 3, 2008
One thing that I've been extremely impressed with and somewhat suprised is the intensity he plays with.
Small player but plays much bigger and is willing to go to the dirty areas and sacrifice his body to make a play.
This allows him too not only be effective as an offensive player but hes also able to be a reliable PK'er.

I would actually really like to see him be given a chance to play with Matthews. I think his speed, forechecking ability and offensive upside would match up well on Matthews LW.

I'm the furthest thing from a Hyman basher and would have no problems if Babcock decides to stay with that tandem.

A line of Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander would be so fast and dynamic.

He could serve as a strong third wheel similar to Connor on that Winnipeg first line.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Does he still have that eligibility? If so, yeah, his very high end potential for next year is an Arvidsson like season so dark horse indeed.

Just depends which line he's on

Rule is 25 games in a season or 6+ games in each of the last two seasons. He's only played 9 games

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
"His fitness is terrible"
"He's not committed to training"
"He's gassed after 30 seconds"
"Better not draft this guy"

- 29 NHL teams

"Hmm let's call his agent"
"Oh he has Asthma that wasn't diagnosed until recently?"
"Oh all that was because he literally couldn't breathe?

-Toronto

As a Canucks fan I'm jealous, you got yourself a player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad