Lucas Raymond

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Kucherov signed his contract in 2018 for 9.5M cap hit at a league cap of 79.5M, 11.9% of the cap. This was right after he had his first 100 point season. The same contract today would be 10.4M.

If Kucherov was signing a contract after he put up 120+ pts multiple times, it woudl be closer to 13 or 14M. The point is that signing Raymond to 8x8 gives us a situation where we have a possible 85-90 point player in his prime making 8M on a ~100M cap, which is a much smaller proportion than Kucherov makes today. Nobody is saying we should be paying him that kind of money. If Ray was Kuch, we'd be talking 10 or 11x8, not 8x8.

I would try to go something like 7.8 x 8 , DeBrincat money. And I'm certain Raymond outplays that number.
Well, it's a waste to chat about. We'll just see what happens. I'd be shocked if he got an 8 year deal. We both can talk about what "we'd" do but it's whatever. I can just say the difference is people that want long-term now are attempting to get a discount/deal without TRULY knowing if he'll be anything better than DeBrincat( good example ). I'll take the bridge, and if he develops into something more like Kucherov/Tkachuk type scorer/point producer during that 3-5 year run, great, I'll gladly pay him more. He'll be one of the best players in the whole league.

Oh jeez, my bad, totally forgot to consult those super helpful and informative Jfresh cards before I formed an opinion on Lucas Raymond. My bad. Thanks, Jfresh!
You formed an opinion?

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Well, it's a waste to chat about. We'll just see what happens. I'd be shocked if he got an 8 year deal. We both can talk about what "we'd" do but it's whatever. I can just say the difference is people that want long-term now are attempting to get a discount/deal without TRULY knowing if he'll be anything better than DeBrincat( good example ). I'll take the bridge, and if he develops into something more like Kucherov/Tkachuk type scorer/point producer during that 3-5 year run, great, I'll gladly pay him more. He'll be one of the best players in the whole league.

You formed an opinion?

In theory a bridge should also give us some extra cap space to work with this summer. I'm not stuck hard in either camp, there are pluses and minuses to both approaches. Have to say, though, for everyone wanting this or that prospect in now..., well, that's good and all but we also want some of those contracts to come in later to offset future raises to Seider, Raymond, etc.

So yeah, we might not happy with Danielsson, Soderblon, Mazur, and Kaspar in GR next year, but it can pay big cap dividends down the road and I don't think them being in GR next year would be a negative impact on their development or the Wings.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Yeah defenceman ratings won't work with this system.

Forward ratings will work very well.

Forward ratings don't work. No ratings will ever work. If everything was that simple, hockey would be played in an Excel spreadsheet and there would be very predictable results for every player on every team in every game, every season. You would never have breakout players, you would never have hot streaks and cold streaks, there would never be a miraculous Florida run last year in the playoffs. Contract negotiations wouldn't be negotiations, but retail purchases off the rack.

You can never summarize everything that makes a player who they are with a handful of stats rolled up into half-assed display.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Assuming DBC doesn't sit for a game (I think it is warranted at this point but I doubt it happens).

I'd like to see Ray with Kane and DBC up with Larkin. The DBC/Kane connection is broken and neither is defensively responsible/ good around the boards. Larkin's speed works really well with DBC on the give and go, and DBC doesn't just setup for one timers with him. DBC moves around more even in the offensive zone with Larks. I really liked the progress Ray was making on his own, and being more of a line driver. He defers a bit too much to Larkin and I think his ability to battle along the boards will do better for puck possession with Kane.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Forward ratings don't work. No ratings will ever work. If everything was that simple, hockey would be played in an Excel spreadsheet and there would be very predictable results for every player on every team in every game, every season. You would never have breakout players, you would never have hot streaks and cold streaks, there would never be a miraculous Florida run last year in the playoffs. Contract negotiations wouldn't be negotiations, but retail purchases off the rack.

You can never summarize everything that makes a player who they are with a handful of stats rolled up into half-assed display.

Yes, they will. Many will match with the eye-test and development curves.

Probably the best site for those currently. No site is perfect, but JFresh for forwards is the best currently.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
what a monster game that was last night

He's had some growing pains over the last 3 years, but he has really matured into a consistent NHL scorer. Ever since he was a teen, Raymond knows how to elevate his game in important moments.

Reactions: Realgud

minimal

Apr 12, 2024
So impressed by him this season, wasn't expecting a 70(?) point campaign at all. Last night reminded me of how he showed up in that gold medal game before the 2020 draft. I think he'll have many, many more clutch moments in the future.

Reactions: Winger98

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Just so awesome to see, reminds me some of the Nyquivst explosion excitement. When the team has so little going for it but you get a star like this.

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
Possible. He did start slow this season. If I remember correctly, he was kind of the forgotten son for a bit while the excitement of Debrincat and all of the other new hires were settling in.
He also hasn’t consistently been on PP1

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
No reason to think he can't turn into an elite star. Check out say Mackinnons first 3 years in the league, or Marner. 70 points as a 22 year old, he will.hit his prime in another 2-5 years.

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
Would not be a Skinner look alike. Skinners deal accounted for 11.3% of the cap. Raymond would need a 9.9m contract next year to account for that. An 8m contract would be 9.1% of the cap. Quite the difference.
It’s amazing people don’t understand this. It’s not the number, it’s the percentage of the cap.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
No reason to think he can't turn into an elite star. Check out say Mackinnons first 3 years in the league, or Marner. 70 points as a 22 year old, he will.hit his prime in another 2-5 years.
He was 21 all season until 2 weeks ago, makes it more impressive. No reason he cant be a 90 point player

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He's been pretty disappointing this year imo. Not seeing the development in his game I'd hoped we'd see atp. For a smaller guy he lacks that extra gear and the offensive skills, IQ, and vision just have not improved. No creativity, not playing with any confidence, still far too easy to push off the puck.
Bump

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad