Lucas Raymond

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Since Moritz has his own thread I thought it was only fair that Lucas does as well.

His production has slowed but he's still been playing stellar hockey for a teenager. Datsyukian in a lot of respects, especially his ability to win puck battles against much larger opponents. I do wish he'd shoot more and I also think there's room to improve on his powerplay tendencies. Overall though he makes plus plays all over the ice and is beginning to carry the puck more which is really exciting.

Also let's not forget he's still atop the rookie leaderboard in points!

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Losing Bertuzzi and replacing him with Namestnikov certainly hasn’t helped.

I’m not shocked to see him slow down, but we are clearly blessed with Raymond being the guy we hoped him to be. He’s not even 20 yet. Teenagers don’t step into the league and look at home very often.

I’d like to see him be a bit more selfish though. His shot is an NHL caliber weapon and we don’t set him up to use it enough, nor does he choose to use it enough when given the chance.

Reactions: Oddbob

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Losing Bertuzzi and replacing him with Namestnikov certainly hasn’t helped.

I’m not shocked to see him slow down, but we are clearly blessed with Raymond being the guy we hoped him to be. He’s not even 20 yet. Teenagers don’t step into the league and look at home very often.

I’d like to see him be a bit more selfish though. His shot is an NHL caliber weapon and we don’t set him up to use it enough, nor does he choose to use it enough when given the chance.
Raymond is on the same page with Bert and Larkin, but he struggles with Vlad and Fabbri. I think for the long run it's probably better to have him play with different wingers so he can make that adjustment. I haven't seen Raymond hit Vlad with a pass yet (though I've only watched 2 of the 4 games since the switch).

If this team was competing for the playoffs I'd say put Bert back on line 1, but it's a throwaway season. Seider is gonna take the Calder anyways.

SwedeChristoffer

Jul 30, 2019
Raymond is on the same page with Bert and Larkin, but he struggles with Vlad and Fabbri. I think for the long run it's probably better to have him play with different wingers so he can make that adjustment. I haven't seen Raymond hit Vlad with a pass yet (though I've only watched 2 of the 4 games since the switch).

If this team was competing for the playoffs I'd say put Bert back on line 1, but it's a throwaway season. Seider is gonna take the Calder anyways.

He's had a few great passes to Namestnikov who has been standing alone with the goalie. Off the top of my head he had a great spinorama pass to Names in one of the first games of that line, and then he had a takeaway / pass (not sure if it was lucky or intended) to Names in front of the net in either the Toronto or Anaheim game. I'm sure there's more, just can't think of them now. Neither of them obviously went in. He's also had a few great scoring chances himself. In general I think Raymonds struggles are slightly exaggerated on here. Some parts are a decline, some parts is him getting focused on more, and some is just luck (or lack thereof).

When it comes to Fabbri... I think it's a bit difficult to analyze. Even with everybody healthy Wings is not a deep team. Raymond + Fabbri has only been a thing when Larkin has been out. Fabbri as 1C is probably not going to work well no matter what wingers you have. Not sure if they are going to do it (I get the feeling that they want Raymond with Larkin, similar to how Larkin was with Z his rookie year), but at some point it would be interesting to see if Raymond could drive a line on his own.

Last edited:

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Ray is hitting the rookie wall a bit. He isn't used to the amount of games and physicality of the NHL yet. I think he'll start to pick it up again following the trade deadline.

The guy is just so smart and good with the puck. He's going to be a lot of fun to watch for the next decade.

Reactions: Realgud

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I've been bummed about him not getting goals lately, but man a 19 year old with 35 points in 46 games is really great. Not even his final form yet.

Just noticed, that he has one more point already than Lafreniere, in NHL career games.

Lafreniere 101 games
Raymond 46 games.

Reactions: 14ari13

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Just doesn't have the IQ or skillset to become an impact player. Probably should just trade him at the deadline along with other OLD washed up none NHL caliber vets like Hronek. Package them up for a couple 2nds or something while they still have some value left before other teams fan bases also realize just like we have that they aren't the second coming of McDavid and Hedman and enlighten their GM, scouts and coaching staffs of their discoveries which would completely tank their value to like a couple 4th rounders or something. Lets get out less behind while we still can guys.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Ted Kulfan with some rather inane questions today.

TK: "Have you been watching Lafreniere?"
Ray Ray: "...No, not really."

TK: "Did you think you'd be drafted higher than #4?"
Ray Ray: "No it was an amazing night."

Gee I wonder what Ted's angle for his next piece will be, haha.

Reactions: Gniwder and Bench

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Ted Kulfan with some rather inane questions today.

TK: "Have you been watching Lafreniere?"
Ray Ray: "...No, not really."

TK: "Did you think you'd be drafted higher than #4?"
Ray Ray: "No it was an amazing night."

Gee I wonder what Ted's angle for his next piece will be, haha.

I'M WRITING A PIECE ABOUT HOW YOU'RE BETTER THAN LAF COULD YOU PLEASE GIVE ME A HEADLINE QUOTE!

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
I bet he's keeping an occasional eye on Zegras' numbers though, no? How do you not?

As well as, uh, a certain someone named Seider...

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I bet he's keeping an occasional eye on Zegras' numbers though, no? How do you not?

That's the real angle. How he feels being in the rookie scoring race.

Not dunking on Laf and his 13 points. Speaking of, anyone else feeling #blessed that the Wings got lottery screwed that year?

I'm not complaining if it's Byfield or Stutzle, but that #1 pick might be Yakupov curved.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Which, meh, kinda cringe if it's what I'm imagining but hey... #ContentGeneration

Looks like the article hit:
Red Wings' Raymond, New York Rangers' Lafreniere take different paths to stardom

I don't have access so I can't comment really, but from the opening lines, looks like it's a #blessed comparison just like I posted above. And to think, I give this content away for free to you guys.

Funny how NHL Entry Drafts work.

In 2020, every team was angling and hoping to get that first pick overall and select forward Alexis Lafreniere, a much-hyped junior out of Quebec.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad