Confirmed with Link: Lucas Raymond signs 3 Year ELC

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I love Olympic hockey, it is basically all star teams that actually try hard and play physical. The 2010 games in Vancouver on NHL sized ice is the best tournament I have ever watched, even though the ending sucked. Rafalski played out of his mind, was a lot of fun to watch.

So yes, I am really hoping for the NHL to send players, and hopefully not on Olympic sized ice. It promotes perimeter hockey which is not nearly as entertaining.

I always wondered about having the 100ft. width of Euro/KHL/Olympic combined with the Rounded Corners of the NHL rinks, while length obviously remains the same. It'd open up the neutral zone & also increase puck possession time in Ozone. Also can see 1:30-2m+ shifts for the opposing Dmen, which would be entertaining too.

Re: China as an Olympic destination, certainly not my 1st choice, but as long as it's a safe & entertaining event that's what I care about the most (political differences of the 2 respective govts. of USA/China aside).

also they got a fairly recent Olympics, XXIX Beijing, China, August 8-24, 2008, albeit summer games.

Not So Fun Fact: Europe has only hosted 4 Winter Olympics since 1968!! FOUR!! (4/14possible)

So why not have it in: Austria/Slovakia/Czech Rep./Hungary/Romania/Poland/Sweden/Finland/Norway/Germany etc....assuming they have the prerequisite mountains & facilities etc. or even Back In The U.S.S.R.? (Beatles reference). Sochi was 2014. Edit: Apparently Austria is on total LockDown (rolls eyes).

The snow skiing, Downhill/Super-G etc. is the best. HM to the hockey.

Last edited:

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
Am I alone on not wanting the NHL at the Olympics - especially considering it's in China of all places...
Have you watched Olympics with NHL players before? It’s the most entertaining hockey ever. Better than the playoffs. No Salary cap, All Star teams where the players want to win just as bad as the Stanley Cup. Nothing compares

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Have you watched Olympics with NHL players before? It’s the most entertaining hockey ever. Better than the playoffs. No Salary cap, All Star teams where the players want to win just as bad as the Stanley Cup. Nothing compares
No - never once had I watched Olympic hockey - even with the NHL players...

:sarcasm:

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I

So why not have it in: Austria/Slovakia/Czech Rep./Hungary/Romania/Poland/Sweden/Finland/Norway/Germany etc....assuming they have the prerequisite mountains & facilities etc. or even Back In The U.S.S.R.? (Beatles reference). Sochi was 2014. Edit: Apparently Austria is on total LockDown (rolls eyes).
It's too expensive. An application to host the Olympic Games costs US$15-20M, and the event itself runs at US$2-3B.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Thanks for the info.

Wouldn't the hosting country make their $ back though?
Maybe.

I am in Norway, and I remember it being a huge deal over here. They were in the process of applying for the 2022 Olympics, but most people didn't want it because of the cost. Personally, I wanted it. I live near Lillehammer, and can see what the '94 Olympic Games did for the community here.

Reactions: 14ari13

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I think the Salt Lake city olympics is the only Olympics to ever go + in terms of economics.
Interesting. I've never cared to look, but maybe should've?

I know the Seoul, Korea & Atlanta,GA games weren't well received iirc.

I was in the '96 Atlanta olympics & it was a disaster from a planning standpoint.

(and by "in" I mean I was there for work...confidential)

fun fact: I met & shook hands with Charles Barkley + VinnyDel Negro, both of whom were friendly, especially Charles. Not a hoops fan myself (too many reasons to list), but Charles is a cool dude, very funny. Scotty "Non-Tippin'" Pippin was also with them, he was aloof at best & stood by himself in a velvet-roped off area. I didn't get the best vibes from Scotty. I met them ~4-6pm EST @ a bar in Buckhead called The Tongue & Groove. The place was supposedly very popular, but it was early so hardly anybody there. Considering Atlanta's population of ~1M in '96 & there was ~5-8x that many on any given day, it made this even more bizarre. I brought 3 beautiful women with me, but after we left 1 stayed behind...I was glad to get out of the 24/7 grid-lock.

SwedeChristoffer

Jul 30, 2019
I had heard the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics were the last one to actually be profitable.

Looking at the Wikipedia page, it looks better than what I thought. The question I guess is who it's profitable for. I just remember that the Salt Lake thing as a "selling point" for Mitt Romney during his presedential campain (wierd stuff to remember for someone who doesn't live in the US and can't vote...).

As for the LA thing it seems to be "the first summer olympics to be profitable since 1932".

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
I always wondered about having the 100ft. width of Euro/KHL/Olympic combined with the Rounded Corners of the NHL rinks, while length obviously remains the same. It'd open up the neutral zone & also increase puck possession time in Ozone. Also can see 1:30-2m+ shifts for the opposing Dmen, which would be entertaining too.

Re: China as an Olympic destination, certainly not my 1st choice, but as long as it's a safe & entertaining event that's what I care about the most (political differences of the 2 respective govts. of USA/China aside).

also they got a fairly recent Olympics, XXIX Beijing, China, August 8-24, 2008, albeit summer games.

Not So Fun Fact: Europe has only hosted 4 Winter Olympics since 1968!! FOUR!! (4/14possible)

The snow skiing, Downhill/Super-G etc. is the best. HM to the hockey.

EUROPE HAS HOSTED 6 WINTER OLYMPICS SINCE 1968.

Innsbruck 1976
Sarajevo 1984
Albertville 1992
Lillehammer 1994
Torino 2006
Sochi 2014

North America has only hosted 4 since 1968, Asia has hosted 3. Oh and there have only been 13 winter olympics since 1968 (1968 was also hosted in Europe just FYI).

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

Innsbruck 1976
Sarajevo 1984
Albertville 1992
Lillehammer 1994
Torino 2006
Sochi 2014

North America has only hosted 4 since 1968, Asia has hosted 3. Oh and there have only been 13 winter olympics since 1968 (1968 was also hosted in Europe just FYI).
Europe has hosted 5 since 1968. (I missed Albertville earlier)... Sochi is in Russia (which is in Asia) , so it's not "SIX" either.

https://www.loc.gov/rr/main/olympics/dates.html

WINTER:

Grenoble, France
February 6-18, 1968

Sapporo, Japan
February 3-13, 1972

Innsbruck, Austria
February 4-15, 1976

Lake Placid, New York
February 14-23, 1980

Sarajevo, Yugoslavia
February 7-19, 1984

Calgary, Canada
February 13-28, 1988

Albertville, France
February 8-23, 1992

Lillehammer, Norway
February 12-27, 1994

Nagano, Japan
February 7-22, 1998

Salt Lake City, Utah
February 8-24, 2002

Turin, Italy
February 10-26, 2006

Vancouver, Canada
February 12-28, 2010

Sochi, Russia
February 7-23, 2014

Pyeongchang, South Korea
February 9-25, 2018

Europe has hosted only 4 Summer Games since 1960

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Innsbruck 1976
Sarajevo 1984
Albertville 1992
Lillehammer 1994
Torino 2006
Sochi 2014

I mean can you blame Europe? It worked out so well for Yugoslavia....

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
I love Olympic hockey, it is basically all star teams that actually try hard and play physical. The 2010 games in Vancouver on NHL sized ice is the best tournament I have ever watched, even though the ending sucked. Rafalski played out of his mind, was a lot of fun to watch.

So yes, I am really hoping for the NHL to send players, and hopefully not on Olympic sized ice. It promotes perimeter hockey which is not nearly as entertaining.
I will never forget how dominant Rafalski was during those Olympics, he was one of the best players from any team.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

single elimination anything in a sport with as much luck as Hockey has over small sample sizes is pretty pointless in my opinion, especially when it's with teams that don't have very long to practice with each other either

I don't really care this time around since the Wings suck anyways but i'm usually pretty annoyed when the NHL stops play for several weeks in the middle of the season for it

Reactions: FMichael

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
At the end of the day, Olympic Hockey = More Hockey, which is a good thing.

Also means NHL until late-ish June. (shorter offseason).

'02 was an Olympic year & turned out "Ok"

Capture.PNG

though SY being hurt & coming back later was scawy, very scawy. Some fans blamed him for going, but he rose above & voila, The Cup baby!

Reactions: r0bert8841

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
single elimination anything in a sport with as much luck as Hockey has over small sample sizes is pretty pointless in my opinion, especially when it's with teams that don't have very long to practice with each other either

I don't really care this time around since the Wings suck anyways but i'm usually pretty annoyed when the NHL stops play for several weeks in the middle of the season for it
Who cares if it’s pointless, it’s entertainment value is unbeatable.

Anyways back to the topic. It would be awesome if Raymond made the team. I don’t think it’s that absurd considering he is a very responsible two way player and could player on any line. On the other hand I think he will be exhausted at that point in the season and will desperately need a break

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
Europe has hosted 5 since 1968. (I missed Albertville earlier)... Sochi is in Russia (which is in Asia) , so it's not "SIX" either.

https://www.loc.gov/rr/main/olympics/dates.html

WINTER:

Grenoble, France
February 6-18, 1968

Sapporo, Japan
February 3-13, 1972

Innsbruck, Austria
February 4-15, 1976

Lake Placid, New York
February 14-23, 1980

Sarajevo, Yugoslavia
February 7-19, 1984

Calgary, Canada
February 13-28, 1988

Albertville, France
February 8-23, 1992

Lillehammer, Norway
February 12-27, 1994

Nagano, Japan
February 7-22, 1998

Salt Lake City, Utah
February 8-24, 2002

Turin, Italy
February 10-26, 2006

Vancouver, Canada
February 12-28, 2010

Sochi, Russia
February 7-23, 2014

Pyeongchang, South Korea
February 9-25, 2018

Europe has hosted only 4 Summer Games since 1960
Russia is both in Europe and Asia and since Sochi is west of the Ural Mountains it seems to be considered on the European side. But this isn’t a geography forum so I won’t speak on that any further.

Trying to justify the locations the IOC chooses for its Olympics is a pointless task. At the end of the day they just want money and emerging countries and markets are willing to shell out more money than European ones. That’s really all it comes down to.

Reactions: Al48

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Russia is both in Europe and Asia and since Sochi is west of the Ural Mountains it seems to be considered on the European side. But this isn’t a geography forum so I won’t speak on that any further.

Trying to justify the locations the IOC chooses for its Olympics is a pointless task. At the end of the day they just want money and emerging countries and markets are willing to shell out more money than European ones. That’s really all it comes down to.

The almightly dollar, ruble, rupee, deutsche mark, lira, pence, schekel rules.

Never heard anyone refer to Russia as a European country though...2 completely different continents, even if they're attached. Considering Russia is 11 time zones wide & the aforementioned "logic", they might as well consider it a NorthWest Territory (N.America), b/c of The Bering Strait as it's only ~35 miles wide when not frozen, even narrower when it is frozen. Also could be considered a far eastern country.

Back on topic, even if Ray makes the SWE team (which he should imo), he's currently projected as the 13th F. I posted this the other day, citing a legit source iirc. 13th b/c he's not a bottom6 PK/grinder even if he's passable on dzone coverage. His fancy stats on D aren't that good though iirc. So he'll be rested not having to be the Go To Guy in the olympics, but still see game action I imagine.

another feather in the cap of our Superstar Rookie. <17m TOI/gp, leads the NHL !! Beats Svech Jr. etc

Capture111.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: r0bert8841

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Never heard anyone refer to Russia as a European country though...2 completely different continents, even if they're attached.
Racism is the only reason why Europe and Asia are considered two continents, they are both on the same tectonic plate.

To geographers, continents are also culturally distinct. The continents of Europe and Asia, for example, are actually part of a single, enormous piece of land called Eurasia. But linguistically and ethnically, the areas of Asia and Europe are distinct. Because of this, most geographers divide Eurasia into Europe and Asia. An imaginary line, running from the northern Ural Mountains in Russia south to the Caspian and Black Seas, separates Europe, to the west, from Asia, to the east.

Continent
75% of the population of the country live in the European portion, and culturally they are seen as a "white" country. The Russian ethnic group is considered European:
Russians - Wikipedia

And for what it's worth, Russia is covered in European history classes, not Asian history. I've always considered it part of Europe, I think most Americans do, though geographically it spans 2 continents and 75% of the land mass is in Asia.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I truly don't really care for NHL Olympic hockey. But to each their own.

I think it really highlights what would be bad about international sized rinks in the NHL. I also don't like what it does to the NHL schedule, pushing games further into summer where 3/4 of the rinks have ice bordering on slush at that point. If the league is really dead set on going to the olympics, kill the AS game that year and pull the start of the regular season back a few weeks.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad