Player Discussion Loui Eriksson

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
So I guess you could run the Franchise better than Benning?

If you want to go down that road, then yes. I think if you look at the fan consensus for first round draft picks over the last 3 drafts we would be ahead of where Benning has us.

Also, I have been very vocal about who my FA targets were this past year. For forwards my targets were Jonathan Marchessault, Sam Gagner, and Brett Connolly. The first two are out producing Eriksson, and Connolly has scored more goals.

But that's not the point. The fact that fans on a message board could do a better job is just sad and pathetic; the point is that Jim Benning as a professional in the GM job has been a massive failure.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Based on his history and production, Loui Eriksson was a great signing. Hindsight is a poor way to evaluate decisions.

Might want to re-visit the Eriksson signing thread. Many people, myself included, screamed that this was an awful signing at the time. Hell, I was calling this an awful signing BEFORE it was even made, just based on the rumours that Benning was interested in him.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Normally the "It's not like you can do better!" thing is a completely dumb, childish, and facetious argument, but Benning has gone so far past the point of acceptable that people are actually going "It doesn't matter if I can't, that's completely irrelevant fallac---..... Oh no wait a minute, yes, yes I can."

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
So why hasnt the owners fired Linden yet!?? Or if they want to keep him around to keep fans cause Linden use to be a good player for us then why not put pressure on Linden to fire Benning? What are we missing here? This team is a disaster going nowhere? Like who in there right mind actually would be contemplating not selling off assets at this point?? Like wth??!! :(

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm pretty sure I can duplicate consecutive 28th place finishes but end up with more picks, cap space and prospects by doing nothing at all. So yes! :)

If they'd just listed to Craig Button, they'd have had Nylander instead of Virtanen and Clayton Keller instead of Juolevi.....where do I sign up?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
If they'd just listed to Craig Button, they'd have had Nylander instead of Virtanen and Clayton Keller instead of Juolevi.....where do I sign up?

Actually, they would have Ehlers instead of Virtanen and Kamenov instead of McCann, Tkachuk instead of Juolevi and no Horvat.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
More related to this thread, did anyone else catch Bro Jake's laughable defense of Eriksson on 1040 this morning? Agreed with a caller who said Eriksson is notorious for starting out slow when he goes to a new team (how can a player be "notorious" for anything when they've only switched teams twice in their careers?) and listed his rookie season in Dallas as evidence of him being a "slow starter".

Yes Bro, it makes sense to include a players rookie season on the team that drafted them as evidence that they are "slow starters". I guess if I was a team looking to acquire the Sedins I'd be worried as hell that it would take them 4 years to get up to speed then. Ditto for Bo Horvat. Guy was so slow in his rookie season, he'll probably have a slow start on his next team too lol

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver
Further to this, even if those 3 players I mentioned weren't successful here at least their contracts wouldn't kill the team for the next half decade. I was right about Eriksson, as were some others who hated the signing when it was made. That's not hindsight, that's foresight.

Ya the team right now should be focused on signing younger, bottom 6 guys that could surprise. Shouldn't be signing any contracts with a lot of term.

I was really hopeful that Eriksson was gonna do well here but man was I wrong. This team can't be doing these types of contract any more.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
I think it probably is fair to say that if we acquired certain players we would have probably ****ed them up somehow.

That this is used as a defense of the organization is hilarious though.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I think it probably is fair to say that if we acquired certain players we would have probably ****ed them up somehow.

That this is used as a defense of the organization is hilarious though.

I blame Gillis is last line of defense for Benning acolytes.

At least that has some validity; I do find funny the old "let's see you do better as the GM of the team"....did they look where we currently are in the standings (as well as the previous season)?:laugh:

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
What are all the known living things in the universe, that could spend all the money, and end up in last place? It does take a certain level of intelligence... Humans, Chimpanzees, Pigs, Bottlenose Dolphins, Parrots, Whales, Dogs, Octopus, Elephants, Squirrels, Cats, Owls, Rats, Falcons, Rhesus Monkeys, Horses, Raccoons, Sheep, Crows, Pigeons, Orangutans, Sea Lions, Baboons, Ants, Spiders, and Squids... These are all the known living things that could do around a similar job to Benning.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
What are all the known living things in the universe, that could spend all the money, and end up in last place? It does take a certain level of intelligence... Humans, Chimpanzees, Pigs, Bottlenose Dolphins, Parrots, Whales, Dogs, Octopus, Elephants, Squirrels, Cats, Owls, Rats, Falcons, Rhesus Monkeys, Horses, Raccoons, Sheep, Crows, Pigeons, Orangutans, Sea Lions, Baboons, Ants, Spiders, and Squids... These are all the known living things that could do around a similar job to Benning.

You Sir are discriminating Mr Potato GM.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
What are all the known living things in the universe, that could spend all the money, and end up in last place?
..we also have less than the default number of picks in the upcoming draft (I don't expect Benning to do anything at the trade deadline - though I'd consider that a WIN for this management team as it means they didn't *give up any picks* for additional elite 4th line wingers or elite #6 D's.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Eriksson is notorious alright.....but the GM who gave him $6m a season for six yeas is the only who'll live in infamy.:help:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You know, as bad as Erikssen has been, the coaching is making him look a lot worse imo.....he needs as centre to service him, and Henrik is too slow now.

Look what happened to Vrbata in his second year with Willie.....once he was off the Sedin line, his production and play basically cratered as he was shunted from line to line.......now he's a useful player again in Phoenix and might actually fetch something at the deadline, as opposed to what Jimbo couldn't do last year.

My prediction is that Erikssen bounces back next year when Willie is gone....will be ever be worth the $6m he's being paid?..Doubtful...but might still be a useful player.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Actually, there might be a silver lining to this Eriksson signing....it's so bad, and for so long, that it could serve as a rallying cry for future GM's, not to mention the owner.

Whenever a future Canuck GM is preparing to blow his brains out with another bloated July 1st free agent signing, he can step back, draw a sober breath, and say "Remember Eriksson".

Sometimes the best trade/signing is the one you don't make.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Fair enough. But let's be positive about management, it's not like rooting against Benning or calling him out is going to make us a better team. If he fails to meet ownerships objectives, he's out and hopefully someone better comes in. Canuck fans are spoiled, and I don't think Benning deserves the constant abuse in the threads.

Why?

scorvat53

Jan 21, 2017
I always thought that Loui is a "players player" where that he does little things on the ice that you don't really notice if your a casual fan, he may be slow and is having a down year pts wise but he is always in the right spot and rarely makes mistakes.

I think he might find a home on the bo line, played there last night got 2 pts. Lets see if he finds a home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad