Player Discussion Loui Eriksson

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Yeah. New contract, new team. Sedin factor, PP time.

He better score 60 pts...

New contract means nothing. If anything, since it's a non-contract year I wouldn't be surprised if his production falls.

New team, means nothing.

Sedin factor doesn't mean much either. It's not like they're PPG players anymore.

PP time is something he had last year too. The Canucks PP was worse than the Bruins. He goes from the 7th ranked PP to the 27th.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
45-50 points bouncing on and off the IR all season. He's always been a complimentry player and I think he fades here.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
45-50 points bouncing on and off the IR all season. He's always been a complimentry player and I think he fades here.
Yeah, I think health is going to be the biggest thing. 60 points only seems realistic if he and the Sedins are all healthy all year, and stay together. The Canucks aren't going to be a team that scores a lot of goals in general.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
You are very insistant that everything is going to suck.

*Insistent

And yes. This team just came off a 28th place season. I didn't say that Eriksson was going to suck. Just that he won't be worth that awful massive contract that our idiot GM gave him. He'll still get his 50-55 points.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
How did that go for them?

aSYiQUY.png

Compared to #2 overall draft pick Tyler Seguin, not very good.

Not compared to #2 overall draft pick Tyler Seguin, decent.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The world cup is five games max for a team that makes the final. And it's not like they'll be playing any games on the other side of the regular season :sarcasm:

I realize that the tournament is only five games max, but players can hardly go into a high-level competition like that 'cold turkey'.....they're got to start their heavy training and skating program even earlier in the summer, and there won't be much time for the body to heal before the start of NHL training camps.....my prediction....a lot of the participants in that 'money-grabbing World Cup of Hockey will get off to very slow starts once the NHL season is underway.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Guessing 25 goals, 30 assists for 55 points.

This is probably a reasonable guesstimate. But then again, a lot of it probably comes down to just how much he plays with the Sedins, obviously how healthy he stays. But of course, there's also the factor of...if Vrbata can score 30g and notch 60pts here, why couldn't Eriksson who is a better and much more versatile player?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
New contract means nothing. If anything, since it's a non-contract year I wouldn't be surprised if his production falls.

New team, means nothing.

Sedin factor doesn't mean much either. It's not like they're PPG players anymore.

PP time is something he had last year too. The Canucks PP was worse than the Bruins. He goes from the 7th ranked PP to the 27th.

I think the Sedins factor can mean a lot. The Sedins are in decline but they still create opportunities for their linemate. Hansen was able to put up a career high 22 goals and almost career high in points in 67 games. Eriksson is going to help the Sedins and the Sedins are going to make it easier on Eriksson to produce offensively.

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
aSYiQUY.png

Compared to #2 overall draft pick Tyler Seguin, not very good.

Not compared to #2 overall draft pick Tyler Seguin, decent.

We're all aware Eriksson had a couple of good seasons half a decade ago. The question was how did it work out for the Stars with Eriksson being their go-to guy? Considering the Stars didn't make the playoffs once during Eriksson's peak there and didn't get their act together until committing the most lopsided trade of the decade. Ironically involving Dear Jim and Muh Eriksson. I'd say not well.

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
We're all aware Eriksson had a couple of good seasons half a decade ago. The question was how did it work out for the Stars with Eriksson being their go-to guy? Considering the Stars didn't make the playoffs once during Eriksson's peak there and didn't get their act together until committing the most lopsided trade of the decade. Ironically involving Dear Jim and Muh Eriksson. I'd say not well.

Hockey is a team sport lol.

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Hockey is a team sport lol.

Would he have gotten the opportunity and playing time to knock down 70 on a decent team? Why did the Stars fall into the basement right as he peaked. The conversation was that Eriksson is a complimentary player. Do you also think Jason King was a first line NHLer because he played with the Sedins?

Why is this hard for people?

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010

New team, means nothing.

All of those things mean something regarding my judgement of his character and thus him as a player if he does not perform

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm expecting 50-55 points and good two-way play for the first two years of the contract, then a long, painful decline over the final 4 years as he becomes a complete albatross.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

There's lots of various ways to criticize a player... but this angle is ALWAYS the weakest argument a person can use.

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
Would he have gotten the opportunity and playing time to knock down 70 on a decent team? Why did the Stars fall into the basement right as he peaked. The conversation was that Eriksson is a complimentary player. Do you also think Jason King was a first line NHLer because he played with the Sedins?

Why is this hard for people?

No I fully understand your point the first time you made it. It's just a dumb point.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
The lack of puck-moving defensemen is going to hurt his points totals compared to past years, Sedins or not. In Boston he at least had Krug, in Dallas he had a few different puck movers in Goligoski, Niskanen, Daley and even Zubov for a year. Our best puck movers right now are Edler, Tanev and Hutton and the first two are likely to get injured and Tanev is a stretch. If Hutton has a huge break through then maybe Eriksson hits 50+ but otherwise I'm thinking under 50.

I don't think some people realize just how bad our defense as a group are at moving the puck up the ice. A previously failed project/wildcard in Larsen is likely not going to be able to replace Hamhuis and Gudbranson is certainly not going to help in this regard. A LOT is riding on Hutton taking a huge step this year and any significant injuries to defense (a given at this point) is going to mean some guys are playing way over their head.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Funny, I've been trying to find a comparable to Hutton (not that two players are ever a like), but Krug actually isn't that bad.

I've got a lot of faith in Hutton, and think he's gonna be our best PMD next year. As effective as Krug, who knows. Say what you want but that guy makes things happen when the puck hits his stick on the point.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The lack of puck-moving defensemen is going to hurt his points totals compared to past years, Sedins or not. In Boston he at least had Krug, in Dallas he had a few different puck movers in Goligoski, Niskanen, Daley and even Zubov for a year. Our best puck movers right now are Edler, Tanev and Hutton and the first two are likely to get injured and Tanev is a stretch. If Hutton has a huge break through then maybe Eriksson hits 50+ but otherwise I'm thinking under 50.

I don't think some people realize just how bad our defense as a group are at moving the puck up the ice. A previously failed project/wildcard in Larsen is likely not going to be able to replace Hamhuis and Gudbranson is certainly not going to help in this regard. A LOT is riding on Hutton taking a huge step this year and any significant injuries to defense (a given at this point) is going to mean some guys are playing way over their head.

Yeah, this is why it's so freaking ridiculous when people say we 'needed' a mean defensive 'crease-clearer' like Gudbranson. We're going to have 4 guys on the team next year who are 'defensive' guys who can play the RS and kill penalties.

We needed skill defenders who could move the puck. Gudbranson is the worst fit imaginable. And we're going to have a ton of problems scoring goals as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad