Confirmed with Link: Lou Lamoriello Resigns as President of New Jersey Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
But with that said above, I am damn happy we have Shero guiding the way from now on. Wanna know why im excited about it? Because Lou hired him. If Lou didnt think he was absolutely the right man for the job, he wouldn't have done it. Lou is a genius, and I'm positive that 3, 5, and 10 years down the road, we are gonna still be thanking Lou for hiring Shero.

GhostofKenKlee

I hope we are thanking LL for Shero sooner than 5/10 years. LL reign here is an anomaly. Most GM's shelf life is way shorter than the span you cite.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
This is why IMO Shero will never be able to please everyone.

Well, Lou didn't manage to please everyone either, but Shero does have a tough act to follow like Cory did stepping into Marty's skates. Cory did an admirable job, in my opinion. I'm sure we'd all like to see Shero do the same.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I think Shero's going to be in New Jersey for a long time. Just the vibe I get.

Lou long? Psh, no. But long enough to be another storied GM for this Devils franchise.

I feel bad for the guy that has to follow up this two-headed monster.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
It's always hard to be the guy that replaces a hall-of-famer and legend. So far I have no complaints about what Shero has done - with the exception, perhaps, of cutting Conte. I think that was unnecessary.

It would have been a lot harder to replace Lou a few years ago. Now since it's like 50/50 (and the team stinks) the ratio of people who are happy that Lou is gone gives Shero gets a long break in period.

GhostofKenKlee

It's always hard to be the guy that replaces a hall-of-famer and legend. So far I have no complaints about what Shero has done - with the exception, perhaps, of cutting Conte. I think that was unnecessary.

I agree on Conte. That's a huge loss IMHO.

I also agree on Shero, I like the moves he's made so far.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Shero's highlights so far:

Hired Hynes - From an early look, he seems like the perfect coach for where this team is at right now. I like it

Palmieri trade - Lets see how it works out. I am happy with it for now.

Moore signing - How could you not like it? Great deal, gives more competition on defense, and allows us to move a defenseman for young forward help.

Larsson deal - Love it

Gelinas deal - Love it. Fair.

Letting Gomez, harrold, fraser, bernier walk - was upset at first regarding bernier and gomer, especially since Gomez was arguably our best forward last season. But as time has passed, i realize it is the right move. Getting younger at F is the most important thing to do right now.

I'm already excited for next offseason, when Zubrus 3.1 and Ruutu 3.8 come off the cap. And Elias 5.5 off the cap too, but hopefully he'll be resigned for like 2.5 mil.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
The Moore signing is a little puzzling. We already have a LD that needs to be baby sat in Gelinas. Moore is definitely a reclamation project too, not that his signing does any harm but it just wasn't needed.

Shero's highlights so far:

Hired Hynes - From an early look, he seems like the perfect coach for where this team is at right now. I like it

Palmieri trade - Lets see how it works out. I am happy with it for now.

Moore signing - How could you not like it? Great deal, gives more competition on defense, and allows us to move a defenseman for young forward help.

Larsson deal - Love it

Gelinas deal - Love it. Fair.

Letting Gomez, harrold, fraser, bernier walk - was upset at first regarding bernier and gomer, especially since Gomez was arguably our best forward last season. But as time has passed, i realize it is the right move. Getting younger at F is the most important thing to do right now.

I'm already excited for next offseason, when Zubrus 3.1 and Ruutu 3.8 come off the cap. And Elias 5.5 off the cap too, but hopefully he'll be resigned for like 2.5 mil.

No, this should be Elias's last year in NJ.

GhostofKenKlee

The Moore signing is a little puzzling. We already have a LD that needs to be baby sat in Gelinas. Moore is definitely a reclamation project too, not that his signing does any harm but it just wasn't needed.

It could one Hynes vouched for. It's for the bottom pairing and I guess you could argue it wasn't needed. Fans here wanted a veteran for the top six prior to the signing.

Shero CLEARLY isn't done with this roster yet. Who knows what opening night will look like. He also gave Mozik a deal and there probably be competition for spots.

Yourenext

Jul 21, 2015
Are we sure that it was Lou who hired Shero?
I remember Harris saying that he and Blitzer had lists with candidates and on each list was Shero a top candidate. So H & B did their own separate research and came up with the same candidate.
My theory is that Lou was probably just a messenger who called Shero to tell him good news...

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Are we sure that it was Lou who hired Shero?
I remember Harris saying that he and Blitzer had lists with candidates and on each list was Shero a top candidate. So H & B did their own separate research and came up with the same candidate.
My theory is that Lou was probably just a messenger who called Shero to tell him good news...

We'll never really know how much truth there was to that cover story...but the fact that Lou left after less than three months (and apparently had less of a role than he wanted or assumed he'd have as president) tells me not much if any.

GhostofKenKlee

LL did say on a cc that he and harris were comparing list and he was at the top of their list. I took that has they told Lou we want to hire Shero and Lou gave his blessing.

It has also come out that Harris wanted Shero since 2013.

Ders Effect

Jul 27, 2015
If you are a Devils fan you owe the world to Lou. But you also have to realize he where he stood he essentially had a position that had very little influence over the organization.

This was essentially a transaction that gave our team a third round pick for taking someone our ownership and GM did not see as a vital piece moving forward. Lets be honest, without Lou the Devils are not here anymore but no one can deny that over the past few years he arguably made some mistakes with the personnel, as well as sitting idly by while Pete DeBoer punished our youth and played Peter Harrold 17 minutes a night.

Change can be a good thing. The man spent almost 30 years here, but this made sense for both parties.

Much like the situation with Marty, accept it, move on and we will see you on the retirement night.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
It could one Hynes vouched for. It's for the bottom pairing and I guess you could argue it wasn't needed. Fans here wanted a veteran for the top six prior to the signing.

Shero CLEARLY isn't done with this roster yet. Who knows what opening night will look like. He also gave Mozik a deal and there probably be competition for spots.

I don't know if he clearly isn't done yet but I know for sure that the roster that starts the season will be drastically different than the one that ends it.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
I just finally read THN article about Lou tonight. Probably one of the best hockey articles I have ever read.

The Lombardi, Burke and Dano pieces are great. I would love to see the 1 on 1 meetings Lou and Dano had

Last edited:

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
It sure will be weird seeing Devils players wearing jersey numbers like #56, #45, #71 etc during regular seasons in the future. Also interesting to see if a Devil will wear #13 under Shero...

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
It sure will be weird seeing Devils players wearing jersey numbers like #56, #45, #71 etc during regular seasons in the future. Also interesting to see if a Devil will wear #13 under Shero...

Is this confirmed that Shero will allow players to do this?

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I just finally read THN article about Lou tonight. Probably one of the best hockey articles I have ever read.

The Lombardi, Burke and Dano pieces are great. I would love to see the 1 on 1 meetings Lou and Dano had

DANEYKO: We could write a book about the wars he and I went through off the ice. We had meetings in his office where I think we both wanted to swing at each other. He had a little secretary named Mary who worked outside his office at the Meadowlands. When I was going to announce my retirement, she congratulated me on my career and said, “I remember hearing you and Lou screaming at each other and chairs being thrown in Lou’s office, and I was going to call 9-1-1. I just didn’t know if I was going to call for you or Lou!†Lou and I laugh about it to this day.

Wow. I never would have guessed Lou could look past blow ups like that but I suppose it was part of that loyalty to a fault thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad