Confirmed with Link: Lou Lamoriello named Leafs General Manager - Presser @ 2pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
I guess this really is happening. Or maybe I crossed into another dimension while I was sleeping. Maybe I should go back to sleep and try waking up again. :laugh:

Not sure I care for this plan. Lou seems to come from the (very) old school of General Managers. But I guess he is a mentor for Dubas for a few years and then Kyle can take over? Makes some sense from that point-of-view, I suppose.

Still need a bridge between old and new I think. Its a big credibility move as well considering all the flack Shanny has been getting for lack of experience. He must have bought into the structure here though which is interesting.

Maybe he'll fire Babcock at the deadline and make himself interim coach lol :sarcasm:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Not in a million years would I have seen this coming.

Not sure how I feel about this as its a complete surprise.

Cliff and Lou in the Leafs pressbox will be able to do some reminiscing of the good old days.

At least the Leafs will not be able to get taking advantage of due to inexperience in the GM position, however this seems like a short-term move while they develop Hunter and Dubas for the future.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
good signing, probably there to mentor the mangement team. He will probably be a better negotiator when it comes to deals. Dubas has his plate full with the AHL this year. l'm liking what is going on here.

Dubas may never be GM. Lou is arguably the best active GM in hockey. This is amazing.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
This is such a great hiring. Lamoriello is one of the most highly respected people in the hockey world. The Maple Leafs aren't cutting any corners. They are serious about this thing.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
How did the Insiders not know about this?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Not a fan. Out of touch with how to win in the new NHL.

New Jersey has drafted pretty badly in the cap era.

I'm opinionated and I'm fine with being proven wrong with this, but I don't like it.

I've been a fan of all of our moves pretty much up until now, but i'm not losing faith in Shanny etc etc, just saying I don't like this hire.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Jersey is he most screwed-up franchise.

As long as he doesn't make any decisions I'm fine with it.

This is so left field.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Was about to put my headphones back in at work and unlock my phone when I saw the message, literally dropped my headphones and came here....Wow!

Likely he will be GM until they feel Dubas is ready to take the reigns.

This will be interesting. I think it will be a good hire, one of the best hockey minds out there.

Joufreau

Jan 10, 2013
Ottawa
I don't see how this can be anything but positive. Seemingly the only thing missing from our management group, NHL experience. We definitely get that with Lou

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
Just look at the Devils thread to see how they feel about this. Lots of shocked individuals hating to see him go.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
This came out of left field

Lou is Dubas' mentor for the next couple of seasons IMO, then Lou retires and Dubas steps in

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
Not a fan. Out of touch with how to win in the new NHL.

New Jersey has drafted pretty badly in the cap era.

I'm opinionated and I'm fine with being proven wrong with this, but I don't like it.

Tbh I really don't see our GM role to be the traditional one

lastnotice

Jun 23, 2010
TSN/Sportsnet scrambling to get all their insiders to get their behind back to Toronto for this. No more vacation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad