McKenzie: Lots of Jonas Brodin trade talk coming out of Twin Cities

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Didn't I see a post here yesterday from one of LeBrun/BobMac that Staal could be left unprotected?

Just because he could be exposed does not mean he's on the trade block.

No point in doing a fire sale on exposed players since the team actually plans on competing next season. Better to lose one player to expansion than to trade a bunch for lesser return only to still lose a player to expansion.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I think one of Brodin or Dumba is gonna be a Bruin. Which sucks because I wanted one of them on the leafs.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Ironically, Brodin+ for Duchene is still the only Brodin trade I've seen that I kind of liked.

Causing us to have to leave yet another forward unprotected, and possibly not allowing us to sign one of Nino/Granlund as a RFA because of Duchene's higher cap hit.

A few years ago when Duchene was a brilliant player then definitely, and you put up with the collateral damage, but he hasn't looked right recently, and acquiring him will cost us potentially 2 young forwards(maybe 3 if the + is a forward prospect like Tuch)because of cap problems.

I put a Duchene for Brodin swap in the highly unlikely category, unless the + is Pominville, and even then i don't see it.

Schm9311

Mar 19, 2013
At this point I'm hoping the Wild deal strictly with Vegas, but if there is a lot of interest in Brodin/Dumba I could see the return being substantial.

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
I must say, as an Avs fan, I'm pretty interested ! I've always liked the way he plays.

But seeing Duchene in a Wild jersey would probably make me puke so ... :laugh:

I guess if it was Brodin + 2nd rounder I'd do it. :naughty:

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
What I don't understand is Minnesota trading him or Dumba. Because then expansion they will lose the other or Scandella and then they are left with 3 decent dmen. At least losing one to he draft they will still keep 4. Unless Brodin is moved for an NHL ready dman but why would the other team do that?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
What I don't understand is Minnesota trading him or Dumba. Because then expansion they will lose the other and then they are left with 3 decent dmen. At least losing one to he draft they will still keep 4. Unless Brodin is moved for an NHL ready dman but why would the other team do that?

I don't understand it either, but it depends on what the return is.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Don't worry, Brodin hasn't been traded yet. ;)

This ED is killing me!

Unless we get an absolute haul i will be very unhappy if JoBro is traded. He is just starting to enter his prime.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
What I don't understand is Minnesota trading him or Dumba. Because then expansion they will lose the other and then they are left with 3 decent dmen. At least losing one to he draft they will still keep 4. Unless Brodin is moved for an NHL ready dman but why would the other team do that?

No, if Brodin is traded, Dumba will be protected and vice versa. in that situation it's Scandella exposed, Suter, Spurgeon, Dumba or Brodin protected.

If Scandella is selected, we have Olofsson ready to step in.

The bottom pairing would be Reilly or a UFA D-man with Folin.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I'll play...

#17 + a good RHD prospect or 2018 2nd.

Still would be a pretty underwhelming return.

we dont have a good RHD prospect our best one is like our 6th/7th best D prospect overall. Kap+17+18'2nd? yeah im out not even a real need, we need RHD

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
What I don't understand is Minnesota trading him or Dumba. Because then expansion they will lose the other or Scandella and then they are left with 3 decent dmen. At least losing one to he draft they will still keep 4. Unless Brodin is moved for an NHL ready dman but why would the other team do that?

It only works if they commit to trading not one, but two of Scandella/Brodin/Dumba. Then they won't lose a Dman to LV. It can also be argued that they can somewhat afford to lose Scandella, as they have a potential LHD replacement in Olofsson and losing Scandella's salary makes it easier for them to sign their RFA's.

So, in other words, either Dumba or Brodin need to be traded first if any of the Wild Dmen are going to be traded at all. Scandella can then be traded if a deal is there.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
The expansion draft not to happen.

The 2 prior expansion teams, Atlanta and Nashville were protected from the expansion draft when Minnesota and Columbus came into the league. It's only been a tiny 17 years since the last expansion why can't we protect Minnesota and Columbus from this one :sarcasm:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Would have to the picks...we don't exactly have a plethora of RHD....

Carrick fits the second description perfectly.

I would prefer to keep #17, but if it's 17+Carrick, I am sure the Leafs would jump on it.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Brodin for Galchenyuk

MTL upgrades from Galy to Drouin on LW and upgrades from Sergachev to Brodin on D.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
What about Lehkonen+Beaulieu+ 1st?

Lehkonen is a two way winger, expansion exempt, just put up 18 goals in 73 games as a rookie. He had a decent amount of time on our Penalty kill this year.

Beaulieu either lesson the dmg from expansion draft or for some reason is taken instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad