Dreger: Lots interested in Horvat but if Kuzmenko is available, the number of teams interested would be the same as Horvat if not more.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Mediocrity? They have the 7th best odds for Bedard currently

Canucks will probably field more calls on Kuzmenko strictly because more teams can afford him. But if both are traded, no doubt Horvat returns more imo. Kuzemenko will not be cheap though.

950K cap on pace for 37 goals. Not past his prime. What would be the cost of that? 1st minimum.
Mediocrity may not be the best word; "not quite bad enough" might be a better phrase.

And that is a good description of Rutherford's post-Cup run in Carolina:
06-07: Missed playoffs, pick #11
07-08: Missed playoffs on last day, pick #14
08-09: Made a late run into the playoffs and a playoff run to conference finals.
09-10: 80 points, pick #7
10-11: Missed playoffs on the last day, pick #12
11-12: 82 points, pick #8 (traded for Jordan Staal)
12-13: 13th in the East in the shortened season, pick #5
13-14: 83 points, pick #7

Ron Francis was named GM in 2014.

Only made the playoffs once in those 8 years, but also never picked earlier in the draft than #5 because they were not quite bad enough. Rutherford never seemed willing to fully embrace a tank of a season.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Only made the playoffs once in those 8 years, but also never picked earlier in the draft than #5 because they were not quite bad enough. Rutherford never seemed willing to fully embrace a tank of a season.
Several teams seem to struggle with this. Now by no means should they be looked at as a team that has done it right, as they have not produced in the playoffs. BUT Toronto struggled with this vision for years and years until they drafted Marner in the 4 slot and Matthew's in the 1 slot. Pain seems to have to accompany a true rebuild?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Mediocrity? They have the 7th best odds for Bedard currently

Canucks will probably field more calls on Kuzmenko strictly because more teams can afford him. But if both are traded, no doubt Horvat returns more imo. Kuzemenko will not be cheap though.

950K cap on pace for 37 goals. Not past his prime. What would be the cost of that? 1st minimum.
Kuz is also a complete unknown in the playoffs and is a bit of a pile on scorer not exactly a player one watches and screams playoff warrior.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
I believe Horvat and Kuz are pretty much the best available. (Kuz has 10 more goals and 9 more points than Kane while having a cap hit that is $9.5m lower).
Though I agree, Kane has pedigree as a 3x cup winner and an Art Ross. That alone has value. Chi will need to retain 50% to trade him, and could even look to get a 3rd party involved for retention.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Kuz is also a complete unknown in the playoffs and is a bit of a pile on scorer not exactly a player one watches and screams playoff warrior.
He is having an amazing season, and produced well in KHL playoffs. There is more pointing towards him being a contributor in the playoffs than a bust. Plus 3rd seed and wild card teams are still in danger of missing. They will want a guy who will help solidify a spot.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Any Carolina Huricanes fans in here...

Would Carolina have interest in Kuzmenko? If so what would they offer for him...pure rental or would Carolina entertain a short term bridge deal with Kuz if he fits in well with the team?

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Mediocrity may not be the best word; "not quite bad enough" might be a better phrase.

And that is a good description of Rutherford's post-Cup run in Carolina:
06-07: Missed playoffs, pick #11
07-08: Missed playoffs on last day, pick #14
08-09: Made a late run into the playoffs and a playoff run to conference finals.
09-10: 80 points, pick #7
10-11: Missed playoffs on the last day, pick #12
11-12: 82 points, pick #8 (traded for Jordan Staal)
12-13: 13th in the East in the shortened season, pick #5
13-14: 83 points, pick #7

Ron Francis was named GM in 2014.

Rutherford isn't even the canucks GM

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam

Watch him play. This logic is like saying no one can ever project anyone in any league they haven't played for. Kuzmenko plays a heavy game in the tough areas, while having a brain.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Any Carolina Huricanes fans in here...

Would Carolina have interest in Kuzmenko? If so what would they offer for him...pure rental or would Carolina entertain a short term bridge deal with Kuz if he fits in well with the team?
I think there would be interest in him. I also think given how the Canes front office has worked up until now, I think they'd prefer a longer term deal for him vs. just a rental.

No clue what to offer for him in that situation though.

Edit: Personally, I'd love Horvat on the team, but unless Carolina changes how they have been operating, I don't see it happening:
1) They haven't gone after high priced rentals in the past.
2) They've shied away from signing big dollar, long term deals to guys at his age (28 for his next deal). Eventually they are going to have to change that philosophy IMO, but I'm not convinced they'd do it with Horvat.
3) Unless Pacioretty goes back on LTIR (he got injured in last night's game), they won't have cap space.

Last edited:

ohnoeszz

May 5, 2010
no. they haven't leaked anything

way to make stuff up

They have leaked everything.

On purpose.

To drum up trade interest.

I'm a Canuck fans and it's insane to me that other Canuck fans aren't seeing this. There is a clear and stark difference in the media buzz since Benning left and Rutherford came in. Stories are constantly coming out about Canucks trade rumors - what they want, who they'd move....

Rutherford has played into this multiple times with his statements - we may be heading towards a rebuild, we'll get more in trade if a player plays well.... this are all things that would keep the phones hot.

It feels like how NJ and now Isles fans would create fantasy narratives around Lamoriello being a hard-ass negotiator who doesn't leak and walks around backhanding betas who dare speak to him.

Someone is leaking right? There are presumably sources for these stories? They are constantly about the Canucks right? The stories are largely beneficial to the Canucks bargaining standpoints - Miller is worth a haul, Horvat is worth a haul, there is interest in blank, teams are circling back with more reasonable offers, the Canucks turned down an offer of blank, there is a lot of interest around the league in blank...etc.

Please recognize this pattern and see it for what it is.

The Canucks management engages in countless efforts behind the scenes to manipulate the market and other realities to their advantage. I would argue this is good management. There are too many fans shocked and accusing when they find a GM lied - it is par for the course and part of the game.

There are many people in hockey in between the GMs and decision makers and the Canucks seem geared towards working that - working agents, executives and others... the Dan Milsteins of the world that will help you bring in a Kuzmenko for pennies because you've built a relationship the agent can trust for their client.

I say all this as a Canucks fan with no inside info. I just think it is readily apparent in how things have shifted in the media with the regime change.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
If Kuzmenko gets anything less than a 2023 1st, I’ll be stunned. His AAV doesn’t even require retention it’s so low. Incredible rental contract. I’m sure the demand is high for him if he’s on the market. Any playoff team could use a guy like that in their middle six and PP 1 or 2. All of them could fit him into their cap.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
The Canucks moto should be to stockpile draft picks aka OKC Thunder style.

With or without Pete/Quinn our roster imbalance is not going anywhere anytime soon.

But hey $25 million tied to Brock/Garland/OEL/Myers will do that to you.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I believe Detroit was on the Short List for the Kuzemonko Sweepstakes.

Van, Edm, Detroit, Tampa. Florida

I dont think Kuzmenko would sign that deal... Report is he wants a bridge deal and he is betting on himself being more than a 6mil player. Detroit will also have to come up with a number that Van cant beat.

Years worth of free dinner at Joeys will get it done.
Meh we didn't get him for free when we were in, no reason to pursue him now. We have bigger issues on the roster that need to be fixed before paying to get someone that wanted to go elsewhere. I think if VAN was serious about moving him they could get a nice return though.

LBCANUCK

Jun 26, 2012
the interest is higher with kuz based on the contract, the return on horvat should be more.

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
If Kuzmenko gets anything less than a 2023 1st, I’ll be stunned. His AAV doesn’t even require retention it’s so low. Incredible rental contract. I’m sure the demand is high for him if he’s on the market. Any playoff team could use a guy like that in their middle six and PP 1 or 2. All of them could fit him into their cap.
And because his value is so high and he could return a huge package, Canucks will sign him to an overpayment.

Reactions: McJedi

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Kuzmenko would get a 1st and a good prospect minimum

• Haha
Reactions: Canuck86 and McJedi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad