Dreger: Lots interested in Horvat but if Kuzmenko is available, the number of teams interested would be the same as Horvat if not more.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Looks like Van found free money by winning the Kuzmenko sweepstakes last summer.

Dreger is reporting that there would be a herd of teams that would want Kuzmenko at the trade deadline for rental purposes. Mainly because Kuzmenko has been more talented than advertised but more so because his cap hit is an ELC of 950k. Almost every playoff team can afford that.

Recent reports is that it would take around 6mil AAV for Van to re-sign him to a bridge deal.

I don't think Vancouver has made a decision yet on whether Kuzmenko is in their long term plans.

The soon to be 27 year old Russian Sniper is on pace for 38 goals and 74 pts in his first NHL season in what he claims to be an "adjustment" year for him.

Best case sceneario for Van is they trade him at the TDL and then re-sign him on July 1st.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
It’s wild how good of place vancouver would be in if they sold Miller

-You have that cap space for Pettersson and kuzmenko
-You have the return in prospects and picks which helps the re-tool

The answer was so logical to everybody…… except Vancouver, and now they are like. Maybe we shouldn’t have signed Miller.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't know if his market would be bigger because EVERYBODY wants a center but I have no doubt there would be a ton of interest

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Perpetual mediocrity just like GMJR’s Carolina teams

Mediocrity? They have the 7th best odds for Bedard currently

I don't know if his market would be bigger because EVERYBODY wants a center but I have no doubt there would be a ton of interest

Canucks will probably field more calls on Kuzmenko strictly because more teams can afford him. But if both are traded, no doubt Horvat returns more imo. Kuzemenko will not be cheap though.

950K cap on pace for 37 goals. Not past his prime. What would be the cost of that? 1st minimum.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
This is common sense given Kuzmenko’s cap hit is $950,000 compared to Horvat’s $5.5 million, and teams having more openings for wingers compared to top 6 centres.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
So are they rebuilding or not?

Depends what you define as rebuilding? like a full out tear down?? No they arent.

I think they will however re-tool ( be bottom feeders) over the next 2 years or so and try to rebuild the roster and surround the main core which is Pettersson, Hughes, Miller, Demko.

Canucks have lots of weight coming off in the next 2-3 years.

Myers
Boeser
Pearson

Probably moving Horvat and Garland.

Then you can build. How long it will take for the management to surround the core to be competitive again? who knows. id say at least 2 seasons.

OF course that can change with one lucky drop of a ping pong ball this summer.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022
Would love to see what Vancouver fans think.

Is Horvat for sure leaving? And you go with Kuz? Or does Kuz go and you’re still working things out with Horvat.

Or do both get shipped out? And you look at the off season with what’s available on the market.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
It’s wild how good of place vancouver would be in if they sold Miller

-You have that cap space for Pettersson and kuzmenko
-You have the return in prospects and picks which helps the re-tool

The answer was so logical to everybody…… except Vancouver, and now they are like. Maybe we shouldn’t have signed Miller.
Miller was a generational rental. If no one offers 3 unprotected firsts and their best prospect you just can't lose the trade like that.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

Is Horvat for sure leaving? And you go with Kuz? Or does Kuz go and you’re still working things out with Horvat.

Or do both get shipped out? And you look at the off season with what’s available on the market.
I think management will make one last attempt to re-sign Horvat before the deadline. They are absolutely loathe to take any steps back but if Horvat doesn’t re-sign, I don’t see how they avoid taking a stepback. In that case it wouldn’t surprise me to see Kuzmenko moved.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021

I think the Canucks are going to try one last offer with Horvat. Its not going to go over 8mil AAV tho so it will be up to Horvat if he wants to give a bit of a discount and stay or not. If he rejects that offer, I see him being traded in February.

Kuzmenko I think they will bridge unless they get an offer they cant refuse such as a 1st round pick and more.

I think Van's plan is to move other contracts out first like Boeser, Garland.

Myers will be dealt this summer. Pearson traded or bought out.

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022
I think the Canucks are going to try one last offer with Horvat. Its not going to go over 8mil AAV tho so it will be up to Horvat if he wants to give a bit of a discount and stay or not. If he rejects that offer, I see him being traded in February.

Kuzmenko I think they will bridge unless they get an offer they cant refuse such as a 1st round pick and more.

I think Van's plan is to move other contracts out first like Boeser, Garland.

Myers will be dealt this summer. Pearson traded or bought out.

My team is looking at about 26 million available this off season before we re sign Zegras and Terry if my calculations are correct. Lots of money….. still not sure what direction our team is going. It’s probably going to be draft related on position as well.

Anaheim has a good relationship with Vancouver. If you hear anything on your cap dumps to make your contracts work? Please post about it. Thanks bud.

Could see something work with Vancouver before March 3rd with draft compensation so they can get their players signed.

Reactions: Salish Kukwpi7

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
I'll be surprised if either is traded. Van will likely re-sign them both and then buy out or pay to offload contracts (such as Pearson or Myers) in the offseason. In the unlikely event that they are traded, it won't be futures-based, it will be lateral "compete now " moves.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Makes sense - Horvat is a tricky guy to trade given his career year and UFA status intersection. The market of teams who can afford both a big asset trade package and who would be able to structure a long-term deal is small and his price seemingly demands you better try to fit in him long term if you trade for him.

Kuzmenko could be viewed as more of a pure scoring punch playoff rental. Has almost no financial impact on any of the top contenders. No obligations. Just cheap production for a serious run.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Would love to see Yzerman sign Andrei Kuzmenko this summer, We desperately need more right handed shots. say 5 years $30,000,000 would be a very reasonable offer.

I believe Detroit was on the Short List for the Kuzemonko Sweepstakes.

Van, Edm, Detroit, Tampa. Florida

I dont think Kuzmenko would sign that deal... Report is he wants a bridge deal and he is betting on himself being more than a 6mil player. Detroit will also have to come up with a number that Van cant beat.

Skittles is overpayment. Need settle for M&M's.

Years worth of free dinner at Joeys will get it done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad