Speculation: Loose-Leaflet: Leafs Schedule in March - the Race is On

Revolt

Mar 10, 2010
Toronto
Going to need Reimer to have some big performances to try to steal a few points on these back-to-backs.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Clarkson is playing well now, Bolland will be back soon, Holland as well. Some time off (for some) to heal. Not worried about making the playoffs. But it will be tight

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
7 point cushion on 9th with 22 to go. How many wins do you guys think we will need? I call 16.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Please stay away from the 18 wheeler

reinvent-18-wheeler-1.jpg

18 Wheeler right on course

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I am excited. This will tell us how good of a team we really have here. If they collapse then we know they are not that good. If they do well and clinch a playoff spot, then we know that this team has gone a long way and they are good. Personally, I am thinking they will be fine. Recently they won in 3 really tough buildings and got a point in another one. So why can't they pick up some points on the Cali road trip?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Anyone else feel that the Leafs don't need to make any deadline deals? Our team isn't perfect but I don't see any deadline deal (barring a blockbuster) that will improve them.

Getting Bolland back is similar to a deadline deal trade, we already made trades to get Holland and Gleason and it made us better.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
The 8th best team in the conference is on pace for 91 points.

I think it will take 88-92 points to make the playoffs as an 8th seed but I'll be disappointed if that's how we make it.

We have a great shot at the divisional spot.

People forget that the teams that are in the race have to play each other and not all of those games will be three pointers...by mid March about half of those teams will fall out.

Even a 3-5 point gap between a team and the playoffs is huge.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Anyone else feel that the Leafs don't need to make any deadline deals? Our team isn't perfect but I don't see any deadline deal (barring a blockbuster) that will improve them.

Getting Bolland back is similar to a deadline deal trade, we already made trades to get Holland and Gleason and it made us better.

I don't know. I can see them trying to get MacDonald from Long Island - but maybe not. I just don't see Nonis not trying to do something to get another piece for the blue line - but at the same time, I can see him 100 percent NOT doing anything.

I also agree with you Pi: a lot of the games are going to be inter-divisional/inter-conference. there are some games that you'd have to get an idea that it could be 3 pointers [ie: Tampa and Montreal games have all been 3 pointers - Us & Detroit have all been 3 pointers - if Ottawa doesn't get super spanked, they have a way to try to make them 3 pointers, even when generally losing].

but You know now with things being so tight/close - it's going to be total lock down. [which is why I am so glad, that Bernier seems to let in one goal, and then just completely shuts it down - even in Florida, it was the defense that blew it, not so much Him. THEN he comes out and goes "I'm getting irritated in letting in more than 2 goals" and tampa - 1 goal. vancouver - 1 goal." guy is locked. in.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
outside of the 5 game trip, I don't see the issue.

We have more games played than the majority of the teams in the east, so that means those teams will play more post Olympics and have more back to back or three in four.

And it all evens out we play the same teams as everyone else. Just win baby

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

I don't want anything too big to go down. I know guys like Raymond and Franson (ugh, Franson) have been harped on all season, but if our team stood pat I'd be content. Getting back Bolland is definitely like a deadline acquisition anyway. His coming back will be huge.

This team is gelling right now, but if you can get a solid right handed defenseman in a trade for relatively cheap, I'd do it.

Daisy brought up MacDonald, I don't know much about him. Is he a righty? Is he solid defensively?

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I don't want anything too big to go down. I know guys like Raymond and Franson (ugh, Franson) have been harped on all season, but if our team stood pat I'd be content. Getting back Bolland is definitely like a deadline acquisition anyway. His coming back will be huge.

This team is gelling right now, but if you can get a solid right handed defenseman in a trade for relatively cheap, I'd do it.

Daisy brought up MacDonald, I don't know much about him. Is he a righty? Is he solid defensively?

he's the guy playing top 4 minutes on the Islanders. [does it matter if he's a righty? - sorry it's just that seems to be the number one question asked, and I don't know if that really matters. anyway - the Islanders pretty much said they aren't going to sign him, so if we could pry him loose somehow - I'd totally try and do it. but apparently Snow's asking price [which is funny considering that he'd be better off giving MacDonald what he wants], is crazy high

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
he's the guy playing top 4 minutes on the Islanders. [does it matter if he's a righty? - sorry it's just that seems to be the number one question asked, and I don't know if that really matters. anyway - the Islanders pretty much said they aren't going to sign him, so if we could pry him loose somehow - I'd totally try and do it. but apparently Snow's asking price [which is funny considering that he'd be better off giving MacDonald what he wants], is crazy high

MacDonald is going to get traded because apparently he rejected an offer from Snow last week, I think it was reported to be a 4 year deal at 4 million per year. He's going to hit the jackpot this summer. There's a reason why he's so in demand right now. MacDonald led the Islanders in ice time and blocked shots I believe last season and is doing the same thing this year. He plays a TON of minutes of the Islanders. If Nonis inquires about him, Snow is going to be asking for a 1st round pick and probably a mid-level prospect and that's at the very least. I really hope we stay pat, I never like making trades at the deadline, players cost way too much at this time of year.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I'm not too worried about the schedule outside of the Cali trip. If we can go at least .500 against the Kings, Sharks, Ducks etc. then I'm pretty confident we can lock down a playoff spot. We can handle teams like the Habs, Caps, Lightening, Wings..what's so scary about them? The issue is how close the games are bunched together, but blame that on the Olympics, it's the one down-fall of having the tournament. But in all honesty we're in a great spot right now. Imagine being the Canucks right now! Yikes!! Lost 7 in a row they're out of a playoff spot, and some of their big name players will have to come back from the Olympics and play a bunch of games all wrapped up in a short period of time just like everyone else and battle their way back.

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
You guys should look at the capitals schedule. They easily have the toughest schedule amongst the big pack of teams in the east. The California road trip, home game vs the kings, Bruins 3 times, Flyers twice, Penguins twice, Blues, Blackhawks, Lightning and of course leafs are their toughest games. Safe to say you don't have to worry about them getting in the way of a playoff spot.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
You guys should look at the capitals schedule. They easily have the toughest schedule amongst the big pack of teams in the east. The California road trip, home game vs the kings, Bruins 3 times, Flyers twice, Penguins twice, Blues, Blackhawks, Lightning and of course leafs are their toughest games. Safe to say you don't have to worry about them getting in the way of a playoff spot.

wow! yeah and we all think we have it bad..LOL that's a brutal schedule.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Obviously we need to wait to see how everything unfolds but Mirtle thinks that .500 after the break should be good enough to get them into the playoffs.

CerebralDevil

Jul 14, 2011
I think that TML have to get rid of Franson for someone similar to a Gleason player. Franson is a RFA and will want big $$$ for points off the PP and crappy defense in the off season. It would a waste to keep him here and not get anything in return if they plan to continue without him and his contract demands most likely. Keep Raymond for playoff depth but trade Franson we need another Gleason

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Just to throw it out there, Randy said that just because the goalies have been splitting back to backs doesn't mean that that will continue for the entire season. But with that said, the scheduling is so tight that unless the team can somehow limit the shots against on the first night of a back to back, it's very likely that the goalie on the bench will have to start the second game.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Just to throw it out there, Randy said that just because the goalies have been splitting back to backs doesn't mean that that will continue for the entire season. But with that said, the scheduling is so tight that unless the team can somehow limit the shots against on the first night of a back to back, it's very likely that the goalie on the bench will have to start the second game.

I think it depends on what games they are.

like I can see Bernier playing the entire Death Valley trip - and then Reimer playing against the Isles etc. I think at this time, now, the goal is to see if Bernier can play like most starters do - regardless of the shots, can you play back to back, or 3 in 4 nights, when the pressure is on.

I also think .500 is enough to get in - providing that we don't lose too many games against the division. if we 3 point the metro teams, [lose/win], and then 3 point California etc - that leaves outright winning the 4 points games [Tampa, Montreal, Detroit, etc]. and I know the leafs can do that. I'm not going to count this team short. We are going to come back rested, and ready to kick some massive Eastern Conference butt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad