London Knights 2022-23 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOrangePylon

Jan 4, 2023
London, ON
Strickly from a fan point of view since we are not in the room to see first players intereaction as well as in or out of the rink, I see Lionard a little step ahead of Dickinson, no doubt Dickinson has way more talent but he does make alot of rookie errors out there. Of which is very normal for a rookie, I think they are saving Lionard from getting a 3 fights league suspension and they are using George absent to give Dickinson more ice time expeprience. Lionard is playing really well, he is not without errors mind you but he is above all expectation for sure, nice acquisition.

I fully agree
I think Leonard's play stands out more, because he his physical, fights and plays with an edge. Dickinson is much more quiet with his game, but I would agree with you. I think at this point Leonard is playing a bit better.
But I would be shocked to see Dickinson come out of the lineup, they spent a lot to acquire him and will want him to learn as much as possible, just my opinion. Sometimes though, its not bad for a guy to watch a game from above, and learn that way.
Either way, both players were nice pick ups, and look good for the next several seasons.

Reactions: Fastpace and zman77
I think Del Monte gets his fair chance to slide into the top 9. He's a highly skilled player and is excellent in the O-zone. Someone sits in order for him to get his chance. Also the possible reason Hunter didn't fret too much when we didn't land Wright. Having a potential 60-70 point man slide into your lineup come playoffs is always welcomed...especially for free.

Blairwitch58

Sep 29, 2022
Really enjoyed Monday Game. Julien was impressive. Winterton would be our captain if he was here last year. Barkey and Cowan getting better every game. Hunter has always had his favorites and some i agree with others i do not (Timkin..drove me nuts on the PP).. I see the skill in Del Monte but sometimes its not always just what we see on the ice. Will come down to Paris, Federkow and Del Monte...will be Hunters call.

Reactions: zman77

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Yes the play that you described was right in front of me …. first time seeing Sam live …. it was the 1st period and if I remember correctly it was Colton Smith and O’Reilly broke up the play … smooth skater and didn’t look out of place …. just the basics… impressive being a forward and playing defence…. hopefully we get to see more of him playing his natural position before playoffs….
He’s a multi position player. That’s insane! Very nice to have a player with that unique skill set

Reactions: zman77

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
He’s a multi position player. That’s insane! Very nice to have a player with that unique skill set

London ( I mean Dale ) has a long history of using Fs on D, althou not lately.
Kell, Wellychka and others.
I heard Sam played some D in minor hockey as well thou I didn't check.

If he can score I'd rather just see him up front next year. Returning D can carry the load. But totally get why they did in this 1 game. Thought I saw him him up front for a shift on Monday but may be mistaken, had the volume off for a bit. His few shifts on D were fine also.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
I think Leonard's play stands out more, because he his physical, fights and plays with an edge. Dickinson is much more quiet with his game, but I would agree with you. I think at this point Leonard is playing a bit better.
But I would be shocked to see Dickinson come out of the lineup, they spent a lot to acquire him and will want him to learn as much as possible, just my opinion. Sometimes though, its not bad for a guy to watch a game from above, and learn that way.
Either way, both players were nice pick ups, and look good for the next several seasons.
I absolutely love the kid (Dickinson) for whatever reason he just ticks all my boxes. But he is young and just so happens to play arguably on the best "D" in the OHL. I think you will see him used wisely and kept out of harms way. Next year he explodes out of the gates most likely at the first practice and never looks back!

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
I absolutely love the kid (Dickinson) for whatever reason he just ticks all my boxes. But he is young and just so happens to play arguably on the best "D" in the OHL. I think you will see him used wisely and kept out of harms way. Next year he explodes out of the gates most likely at the first practice and never looks back!

Ya, I'm thinking he will be the best D in the league in 2 years. Ya never know but as long as he stays driven the combo of size n skill.......
Said at the time of the deal I loved it. If ya never draft high ya gotta get that top talent somehow.

Reactions: Fastpace

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Ya, I'm thinking he will be the best D in the league in 2 years. Ya never know but as long as he stays driven the combo of size n skill.......
Said at the time of the deal I loved it. If ya never draft high ya gotta get that top talent somehow.
If London’s had a better 16 yr old D-man than Dickinson, I haven't seen him play. Tell me his name!
Dickinson better than Harrington at 16.
Honourable mention: Mete.

Rubbers29

Jan 9, 2012
Can someone help me out? I understand that the 1st tie breaker is ROW as discussed here Monday night. However I feel like I must be missing something. ROW stands for Regulation and Overtime wins. According to the standings London has 39 wins and 28 ROW which would give them 11!?!?! Shootout victories? I only see 5. You would think it would be a bigger story if 30% of the wins were in a shootout.
That said the ROW should be at 34. Windsor has only been in 1 shootout this year which they lost, so they are ahead of London regardless at 37

Edit: Figured out the issue

Last edited:

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Can someone help me out? I understand that the 1st tie breaker is ROW as discussed here Monday night. However I feel like I must be missing something. ROW stands for Regulation and Overtime wins. According to the standings London has 39 wins and 28 ROW which would give them 11!?!?! Shootout victories? I only see 5. You would think it would be a bigger story if 30% of the wins were in a shootout.
London has 34 ROW

Reactions: TheCoach and zman77

Rubbers29

Jan 9, 2012
London has 34 ROW

👍🏻I was going off the app. Looking at it again it’s an error on the app standings where it’s listing regulation wins and ROW as the same number. I see the website is correct.

Attachments

• 41DB380C-870D-4BF5-9B95-EEC79E381C2A.png
    41DB380C-870D-4BF5-9B95-EEC79E381C2A.png
    178.8 KB · Views: 1

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
If London’s had a better 16 yr old D-man than Dickinson, I haven't seen him play. Tell me his name!
Check Brad March, if I remember correctly he came in for a few games as a 14 yr old and I think he had some 150+ penalty minutes as a 16 yr old, he was a total beast at this young age. He took control of the D at a young 16 even with Scott Campbell Rick Green and Rob Ramage on the team

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Check Brad March, if I remember correctly he came in for a few games as a 14 yr old and I think he had some 150+ penalty minutes as a 16 yr old, he was a total beast at this young age. He took control of the D at a young 16 even with Scott Campbell Rick Green and Rob Ramage on the team
Good info...those players were just a little before my 'viewing' time. I started watching the Knights when the D included, Steve Smith (Edmonton Oilers) and Larry Trader (Detroit Red Wings)...that era.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Good info...those players were just a little before my 'viewing' time. I started watching the Knights when the D included, Steve Smith (Edmonton Oilers) and Larry Trader (Detroit Red Wings)...that era.
Yes the walk right on in Steve Smith, inviting himself with a letter to Bill Long what a great team player he was and hard worker Dave Simpson Peter Reed days. You came in at a great time as well to watch some good Knights hockey.

rve24

Oct 26, 2022

I thought back to Wideman at first but I think he was a 2nd year player. ( Edit....yes)
Big trade at the time with Sudbury. I remember rumors of Wideman not being happy there and LK sending 2 vets (Kelly/Jancevski) in a big trade....Hunters first huge splash...and they seemed shook to move the vets, but thankfully pulled the trigger.
The Dickinson trade should pay similar overall dividends. JMO.

Geesh Wideman was a minute muncher. Never seen a D play so many minutes n still be as effective as he was. Knew how to log the big minutes n pick spots.
Erskine I was a huge fan of right off the bat but a slightly different player lol and a year older when a rookie so a no go.

If I recall correctly, I think Mete was asked to do alot more especially post trade deadline as far as minutes?
Bouchard earned his PT (not easy with Dale as a rookie D)

Memory time over lol.

But I'll give the nod to Dickinson as well. Good year for top end rookie D in the O.

I don't go back the to the Marsh, Green etal days. As a youngin in the 80s followed loosely n seasons since 99.
Fun times thou in the 80s/90s just can't comment on players.....

Fastpace......If ya mentioned Peter Reed ya gotta know of Wayne Thompson as well. Both good guys. Knew them outside the hockey world.
Some good stories of both. Great players n always said, just let me do what they do for 1 day on the ice....and that was Shiney lol.

Last edited:

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa

I thought back to Wideman at first but I think he was a 2nd year player. ( Edit....yes)
Big trade at the time with Sudbury. I remember rumors of Wideman not being happy there and LK sending 2 vets (Kelly/Jancevski) in a big trade....Hunters first huge splash...and they seemed shook to move the vets, but thankfully pulled the trigger.
The Dickinson trade should pay similar overall dividends. JMO.

Geesh Wideman was a minute muncher. Never seen a D play so many minutes n still be as effective as he was. Knew how to log the big minutes n pick spots.
Erskine I was a huge fan of right off the bat but a slightly different player lol and a year older when a rookie so a no go.

If I recall correctly, I think Mete was asked to do alot more especially post trade deadline as far as minutes?
Bouchard earned his PT (not easy with Dale as a rookie D)

Memory time over lol.

But I'll give the nod to Dickinson as well. Good year for top end rookie D in the O.

I don't go back the to the Marsh, Green etal days. As a youngin in the 80s followed loosely n seasons since 99.
Fun times thou in the 80s/90s just can't comment on players.....

Fastpace......If ya mentioned Peter Reed ya gotta know of Wayne Thompson as well. Both good guys. Knew them outside the hockey world.
Some good stories of both. Great players n always said, just let me do what they do for 1 day on the ice....and that was Shiney lol.
Of course I do remember Wayne Thompson, very exciting player to watch and always found a way to score timely goals, played for the Wildcats and the Smoke of the Colonial Hockey League for few years. I do believe he worked at Kellogg's and also played local industrial hockey as well.

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Of course I do remember Wayne Thompson, very exciting player to watch and always found a way to score timely goals, played for the Wildcats and the Smoke of the Colonial Hockey League for few years. I do believe he worked at Kellogg's and also played local industrial hockey as well.

Habs pick when the league was so much smaller. Huge talent. You'd love the stories I could tell lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad