London Knights 2017-18 Season Thread (Part 1)

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Watching Moskal vs. Whittaker, it's pretty clear who the coaching staff prefers. For a team that values skill, it's Whittaker. Moskal can play a serviceable role in the bottom six but it'll be Whittaker who starts creeping his way into offensive minutes and secondary power play duty.

DuHart is eligible to play Jr. B so he may end up there eventually but ya, likely both to see spot duty for a while to start the season.

Management has some options with depth on defence and forward. Interested to see how they approach things.

Solid post.
I didn't realize that DuHart was eligible to play Jr. B--thanks for mentioning that.
I'm finally seeing that there's something to Whittaker's game--that he can be an asset. Not too long ago I said that he needs to step up, and he's done that. In some ways, he reminds me of Chris Tierney--similar skating style; comfortable cycling the puck; hockey I.Q.
Stiff competition for a spot on that 4th line. I think the top 9 has been pretty much solidified.
I appreciate MacKinnon's work ethic, and the physical side of his game, but I also don't see him with the Knights this season (except perhaps as a fill in until the regulars return from NHL camp).
Nelson scored a beautiful goal on Friday night to help his cause. He has the skill, just needs to find some consistency. Add Turko to the mix. I'm looking forward to watching Rowe's development in the O.
And, I'm waiting anxiously for Moskal to live up to management's expectations as a 2nd round draft pick. He was voted rookie of the year in Jr. B last season, and I thought it would be a seamless transition to the O even if that meant starting on the 4th line--and perhaps it will be.
Is it Friday night yet? :)

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
It's fascinating to see the knights after making a run last year. The players and picks we subtracted would have needed to have been traded away this season due to crowding anyway. It's going to be a good season...
Could we won it all... It's highly unlikely but if crawley and juolevi come back I think we are a few acquisitions away.

I don't see Rowe to be relevant at all this year see Foudy last year with the same development curve.

I think we might have the best 1st line in the league if Pu and Jones stay motivated and disciplined.

Are biggest upside is D depth so I would keep Mattinen and find a place for the younger D. If we get Juolevi back the trade Golden. I like the speed and offensive ability but an we were lacking a d last year that could dominate in the corners and Mattinen can be that guy this year.

the man22

Jun 11, 2014
Watching Moskal vs. Whittaker, it's pretty clear who the coaching staff prefers. For a team that values skill, it's Whittaker. Moskal can play a serviceable role in the bottom six but it'll be Whittaker who starts creeping his way into offensive minutes and secondary power play duty.

DuHart is eligible to play Jr. B so he may end up there eventually but ya, likely both to see spot duty for a while to start the season.

Management has some options with depth on defence and forward. Interested to see how they approach things.

How is DuHart eligible to play JR B? does he have duel?

KnightWatch

Sep 7, 2011
I think we might have the best 1st line in the league if Pu and Jones stay motivated and disciplined.

Pu and Jones may end up being irrelevant to our 1st line's success, but yes, Thomas, Bratt and Formenton may end up being the best line in the league! :naughty:

Somebody needs to teach Jones how to pass the puck...

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
not sure it means much but.....
both Juolevi & Crawley aren't listed on the knights roster on the OHL website

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
I'd read that Juolevi would be going to Finland this year to play pro since he can't play in the AHL and isn't going to make the NHL team.

I think it was Corey Pronmn that commented around that on twitter.

KnightWatch

Sep 7, 2011
if hes that close, they may put him in the ahl to start like what the jets did with roslovic. roslovic is probably better, but the devils may want to see if bratt is good enough to play ahl before sending him to london

Don't believe that's possible....like Kuokkanen, I believe he'd have to play one year in junior before being eligible for the AHL.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Don't believe that's possible....like Kuokkanen, I believe he'd have to play one year in junior before being eligible for the AHL.

No, Kuokkanen could have went straight to the AHL last season because he was drafted out of Europe, but Carolina chose to send him to London for a year of development.

Bratt, as he was also drafted out of Europe, could even have played in the AHL last season (2016 pick). It will be up to New Jersey where he plays.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
No, Kuokkanen could have went straight to the AHL last season because he was drafted out of Europe, but Carolina chose to send him to London for a year of development.

Bratt, as he was also drafted out of Europe, could even have played in the AHL last season (2016 pick). It will be up to New Jersey where he plays.

yup, the rule is where your drafted. if your drafted while playing outside of the chl, you can go to the ahl at 18. bratt was drafted when he was playing in sweden.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Alex Formenton..............Biggest Surprise at Ottawa's Rookie Camp

Ken Warren: Ottawa Citizen
September 17, 2017
FORMEN’ AN EARLY OPINION
Senators coach Guy Boucher cautions that the pace of the game will ramp up in a hurry as the exhibition schedule begins this week,
which is often an eye-opener for younger prospects.
So far, though, the biggest surprise of camp has likely been Alex Formenton, the 18-year-old left winger
who was drafted in the second round, 47th overall, by the Senators in June.
“Formenton was outstanding last weekend (at rookie camp) and everyday is more impressive,”
Boucher said following Sunday’s scrimmage.
“Let them sort it out, but right now, he looked great at the beginning
and now he looks even better. That’s what you’re looking for.”
Formenton, who scored 16 goals and 18 assists in 65 games with London of the OHL last season,
is expected to play Tuesday in Toronto — effectively a home game for the King City native.
http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/hockey/nhl/senatorsextra/warrenspiece-stone-adds-leadership

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Alex Formenton: playing tonight for Ottawa Senators
Logan Brown..........Windsor Spitfire will also be dressed.
NHL Pre-Season Game Tonight
Ottawa @ Toronto @ 7:30pm
TSN

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Robbie Thomas............20th Pick 2017 NHL Draft St. Louis Blues.
Thomas has impressed at the Blues Camp.
Tonight:
St. Louis @ Dallas
St. Louis Projected Line-Up:
Projected Lineup at Dallas
Forwards: Ivan Barbashev, Samuel Blais, Kyle Brodziak, Robby Fabbri, Klim Kostin, Jordan Kyrou, MacKenzie MacEachern,
Wade Megan, Justin Selman, Vladimir Sobotka, Alexander Steen, Robert Thomas, Tage Thompson
Defense: Robert Bortuzzo, Vince Dunn, Carl Gunnarsson, Nate Prosser, Jordan Schmaltz, Thomas Vannelli, Jake Walman
Goalies: Carter Hutton, Jordan Binnington
Play-by-play will be available via KMOX.com and on HD radio on Y98 HD3 in St. Louis.
Fans can follow the action at stlouisblues.com, by using the Blues mobile app or by following @StLouisBlues on Twitter
https://www.nhl.com/blues/news/blues-open-preseason-tuesday-in-dallas/c-291131684?tid=282288828

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Carbonara.............Knight's Coach says, "He has great skill."

Ryan Pyette: LFP
Spetember 16, 2017
Adrian Carbonara: London Knights Over-Ager
Rick Steadman London Knight's Assistant Coach:
"Great Skill-Big part of the Knight's Team!"
CARBO-LOADED: Adrian Carbonara is a vital cog in the Knights' minds this season. Sure, he'll bang-and-crash and control the corners,
but London has always seen more in the ex-Barrie Colt. They're counting on some offensive production from the overager, too.
"He has great skill," assistant coach Rick Steadman said. "He showed a couple of flashes when he got close to the net.
We expect a hard-nosed game, but when he gets chances, we want him scoring.
We need him to get points and take pressure off other guys.
"He's going to be a big part of our team."
Carbonara was lucky to stay in the game for the third period. He was involved in a late-second period scrum
in front of the Erie net, ripped off Otters' d-man Kurtis Henry's helmet by the visor and threw it onto the ice.
He ended up with a double-minor -- one for cross-checking and another for roughing.
http://www.lfpress.com/2017/09/15/down-elite-talent-otters-not-out-of-contention

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
That is a lot for Mattinen.

London continues to flip expendable talent to stock up on picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad