London Knights 2017-18 Season Thread (Part 1)

Nabru

Aug 29, 2009
That was a physical game tonight. Nice to see the refs let the clean hits go unpenalized for both teams.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Kooy was full value for being named the 1st Star. He stole that extra point for his team, and that performance has to elevate his confidence level. Ordinarily, I'd say that he's earned the next start, but this situation is different. He'll be tired and playing back-to-back, and the Hounds will probably have a huge shot advantage, given how they performed vs the Spirit. Last thing you want to do is put a giant dent in a young goalie's confidence, and a tired start vs a rested team could do that. Personally, I'd much rather see Johnson get the start, and he gets the challenge of elevating his level of play to match or better what Kooy has done.

Fastpace

Do extra on every shift and you will be noticed !
Jul 25, 2015
; Now living in Northern Quebec region
Kooy was full value for being named the 1st Star. He stole that extra point for his team, and that performance has to elevate his confidence level. Ordinarily, I'd say that he's earned the next start, but this situation is different. He'll be tired and playing back-to-back, and the Hounds will probably have a huge shot advantage, given how they performed vs the Spirit. Last thing you want to do is put a giant dent in a young goalie's confidence, and a tired start vs a rested team could do that. Personally, I'd much rather see Johnson get the start, and he gets the challenge of elevating his level of play to match or better what Kooy has done.

I agree ! Bring in Kooy slowly maybe give him a start every second or third game to keep him sharp and have him workout his the goalie musles.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Jesper Bratt..........Playing Very Well for the NJ Devils

Jesper Bratt:
NJ Devils win 2-1 vs Rangers.
He played 18 minutes last night.
Assist on the Winning against the NY Rangers.
3 Shots-3 Hits............he's impressing the NJ Coaching Staff and Fan Base.

Comments from NJ Devils Fans on HF Boards:
Blender:
Same. I'm blown away from what he has shown honestly, because I had no expectations that a 19 year old 5'9"/10" 6th rounder from 2016 would show anything at all. His transition game has been fantastic, which is something this team really lacks. The zone exits and entries he and Zacha are making together are so smooth and effective, it's refreshing to see. The turnovers he has created, the puck control he has, and the quickness he has have all been impressive. He's also bowled over guys physically on a number of occasions, which shows some pretty good core strength and strong skates for a guy his size. I don't expect physical play ever from someone his size, but he uses his low center of gravity very well already so that he isn't just getting shoved off the puck like Wood does for example.
Cheddabombs:
Bratt just signifies the exact type of forward they've been trying to bring in, and the type of forward that is successful in today's NHL. Strong defensively but can quickly transition from the defensive to offensive zone, controlling the puck, and create good chances with their skill. Only thing is he was a 6th round draft pick only a year ago. Simply incredible stuff.
And I don't want to sound too homer-y but I think he's a different case than Speers last season. First of all there's more competition this year and Bratt is still shining among the rest. Second off all, Speers broke through based on his workman like attitude and strong defensive game more so than his ability to create offense. Bratt is doing it all. Penalty kill? Check. He's honestly been one our best forwards in that regard, he's basically causing more chances for than against while a man down. Even strength? Check, check! Smooth transitions, good in both ends, good along the boards, and more. Power-play? Sort of check. The team as a whole sucks so I won't single out Bratt, but he's been fine.
VoidCreature:
I don't want to get ahead of myself, but the way Bratt plays reminds me of Zach Parise.
Mostly a style comparison. Mostly.
Cheddabombs:
Do we make Bratt-pack t-shirts?
Sir Fenwick Corsi:
Bratt has really impressed. Even if he doesn't make it this season, I can't see how he doesn't make the jump sooner rather than later.
He's a really solid player.
captainscott:
i just don't see how you keep that kind of skill set off the ice... its top shelf
Devil X Moderator:
Im not sure how Bratt doesnt make this team.
The 29th Pick:
We'll have to watch the next game to decide...same Bratt time, same Bratt channel !
Brooklyndevil:
Bratt a 6th rounder? I thought he was a 2nd rounder. Anyway, that's pretty much a God send.
TheUnseenHand:
Bratt Zacha is amazing.
Devilsgrl35:
Bratt is awesome! We're overdue for a late round gem.
Blender:
Bratt's defensive play is probably what is going to push him over the edge for making this team.
The guy's puck control is fantastic and he is making plays happen, but he's also shown in the preseason to be a
solid defensive player and a great penalty killer. Those are the kind of things that make coaches comfortable
keeping you and letting you develop here.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2390469&page=17

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
So Bratt, Thomas, Formenton, Crawley, Militec and Jones are playing very well...Juolevi is not. At this point it's difficult to see who might come back... I think if we lose any three we are done.

Last night our defense sucked. Kooy was outstanding and Carbs and Nelson stepped up again. The Saginaw announcer was calling him out as a hot head and said the hit on Gilmore was predatory, I disagree.. two of Carbs minors were after the whistle where he should have just gone to the bench but no bad hits and the slashing call on Cormier was B.S. he has shown he has good speed and soft hands.

Pu was good in his first game back though he was picked off the half boards in the offensive zone a few times. He need to get better at winning those battles. It will help when we get a few players back to free him from coverage.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
So Bratt, Thomas, Formenton, Crawley, Militec and Jones are playing very well...Juolevi is not. At this point it's difficult to see who might come back... I think if we lose any three we are done.

Last night our defense sucked. Kooy was outstanding and Carbs and Nelson stepped up again. The Saginaw announcer was calling him out as a hot head and said the hit on Gilmore was predatory, I disagree.. two of Carbs minors were after the whistle where he should have just gone to the bench but no bad hits and the slashing call on Cormier was B.S. he has shown he has good speed and soft hands.

Pu was good in his first game back though he was picked off the half boards in the offensive zone a few times. He need to get better at winning those battles. It will help when we get a few players back to free him from coverage.

Only two goals against on an overtime win does compute to our defense sucked, perhaps the offense did'nt do so well by not taking over puck possession long and often enough. If the oposition has puck control they are likely going to be dangerous in your zone and have more shots on net. With a young offense it's to be expected, it's starting to show our young players are learning to play early the Dale's system of hockey.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

That's not against crappy pre-season competition either -- that's Shattenkirk, McDonagh, Zibanejad, Kreider, and Zuccarello. There's a few more videos on Cordell's twitter.

Bratt has been surprisingly strong for the Devils in the pre-season. He's had three very good games and looked like the perfect fit alongside Zacha - Stafford tonight.

KnightWatch

Sep 7, 2011
I sure hope Carbs, Tymkin and McKinnon learn quickly that all the penalties they're taking are going to cost us games. I love what they bring to the table, but they've gotta learn (and quickly) how to dial it back a notch or two....and I think having them on separate lines is a great idea, but only if they can learn to stay outta the box. It makes playing against 3 of our 4 lines somewhat of a nightmare for opposing teams. :naughty:

Also, I think we may have to trade for another defenseman (or two) if we don't get Crawley, Juolevi or especially Mete back. I know Coomer made a few mistakes last night, but he was also playing a regular shift....him, I can live with. Contrast that with Bangs and Fallowfield, in particular. In limited duty, they were both painful to watch defensively-speaking and are definitely not ready for regular duty. I had to hold my breath every time they stepped on the ice. :help:

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Ottawa vs Montreal last night
#59 Alex Formenton.........2 Assists-5 Shots-3 Hits............played 14 minutes.
2nd Star.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tQGeYyCW6o

Comments from Sens Fans on HF Boards:
starling:
Formenton has September 13 birthday. Born 2 days later and he's too young for this draft.
And here he is today outplaying most pros, 2 points, 3 hits, 5 shots, 2nd star.
This kid could be something.
FolignoQuantumLeap:
Someone compared him to Larkin in the gdt. The playstyle is similar. Probably doesn't have the hands of Larkin
but he's relentless in getting to lose pucks and going to the net. Really excited by his preseason showing thus far.
ReginKarlsonLehner:
Reminds me of Duclair.
L'Aveuglette:
Formenton (n.) Steal. Highway robbery.
A player who goes much further in the draft than he should.
Icelevel:
I like lazar. But was thinking this same thing. I don't remember being as impressed as I am with formenton so far.
Xspyrit:
It's incredible how he always create stuff in the offensive zone with his speed but also some very good hockey sense
and decent skill. He is still very raw but no idea how he wasn't picked higher than 47th
Hard to compare him to a veteran NHLer yet but will have to think about it. I dunno why but at first glance,
I am thinking about Erik Cole if he develops a more physical side. But Formenton seems to be always be going at full speed,
doing everything at full speed so hard to compare him, could be a special player.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2361957&page=3

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Formenton is definitely not making the team just because of how raw he is, but I think he gets a serious look next year. The sens got a potential steal of the draft. Should make the knights season really easy.

bear6

Feb 20, 2015
London has some good young talent from what I see, but down fall is a guy like carbonara does show leadership just runs around like a dummy. He will cost your team many games with some penalties,just my opinion

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
London has some good young talent from what I see, but down fall is a guy like carbonara does show leadership just runs around like a dummy. He will cost your team many games with some penalties,just my opinion

I hear that from every opposing fan yet he will be an mvp player come playoffs. Just needs to tweek things a bit.

bear6

Feb 20, 2015
I hear that from every opposing fan yet he will be an mvp player come playoffs. Just needs to tweek things a bit.

Yeah he does his job of being a pest good, but I think he will hurt you guys more with penalties. That foudy kid is very quick and has good hockey sense

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
Goaltending looks to be in trouble johnson hasnt looked good yet and the door is wide open for kooy ro step up imo

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
A goaltender has little chance when there is 40 shots on net. Johnson may not be as sharp as Kooy but neither goalie will be successful when shot counts get that high. We need to be far better defensively and we will by next weekend, a few returning players could start to right the ship.

I am a big supporter of Carbonara, no PM today and the lone goal. We need more Carbs!

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Blues have had the injury bug bad (bouwmeester, Sanford, Berglund, steen, fabbri) so there are some openings and Thomas is right in the running. He’s been excellent. He’s traveling with the team tonight for our/his third game in a row but he may be a scratch at game time.

Still that means he is really pushing for a spot which is a total surprise for us. Injuries aside.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015

Don't worry too much about Carbonara, it's not his first year he'll do just fine, but thanks anyway !!!

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Goaltending looks to be in trouble johnson hasnt looked good yet and the door is wide open for kooy ro step up imo

Not sure Kooy is ready for all the pressure of a starter yet, sure he's doing very well now knowing it could be a couple or three games before he see any action again. Johnson does not need to wear Parson's pads but his own, he is not so bad considering he plays behind a half of a team of rookies in their first ever actions with three games in 2 1/2 days. PP you are the ex-goalie what's your opinion on this subject given the fact most are viewing, including myself, Kooy as the better of the two?

Last edited:

Londoner Knight

Aug 31, 2016
London Ont
Carbonara has done everything asked of him while in a Knights jersey. Sure he's taken a few selfish penalties, but so has every Knight in every era. No complaints here.

Carbo was the most impressive Knight during the home opener...shades of everything needed to go deep this year. He got in peoples faces, stood up for teammates, made nothing plays into potential scoring opportunities...got on the scoreboard. He looks great and I'm looking forward to seeing him progress as the season moves forward. The addition of whoever comes back will certainly bolster his role with the club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->