Prospect Info: Logan Mailloux, RHD, London Knights (OHL), 31st overall : hockey-talk only. (OHL approves return)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hansem1979

Jun 25, 2021
I don't think you need to worry about these "X player would have been a 3rd round pick" comments. They are based on nothing and pure idiocy.
Certainly hope you are right, at least if the pick is controversial make him a gem

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
I'm confident the Hunters will get him to a good enough level on defense. He loves to hit and he's got reach and mobility so the base is there , he just needs to learn better positioning and to make better reads.

We don't even know if he'll play in the OHL. :/

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
On the bright side, I feel like the only way to go for him now is up. Both personally and professionally, I expect him to work extra hard to improve. If he turns out to be weak mentally though it can pose a problem.

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
What do we know about the league he will be playing in? Is it a decent level?

Not really. But he was a 2nd round OHL pick. Should play a prominent role for London Knights next year. That will give us all a better picture of what he’s capable of. Intriguing skill set though. Big home run pick, with strike out potential. If he pans out, he’s everything our team is missing at RD, both on the roster and in the pipeline.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I'm confident the Hunters will get him to a good enough level on defense. He loves to hit and he's got reach and mobility so the base is there , he just needs to learn better positioning and to make better reads.

Which is usually called hockey IQ and can rarely be teach at a level to make you very good at the NHL level.à

But yeah, if one team can teach him, it,s them. Though, we have no idea if he'll play there this year.

Reactions: Et le But

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Kid is big, fluid skater, soft hands, has a good shot, can hit and pass the puck. From purely a skill and hockey standpoint, I actually really like the pick.

Hopefully the knights can develop him well over the next couple years.
This is a piece of good news....did you see him play with the Knights? The kid obviously has a physical size about him...

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
Sounds like he has good offensive skill combine that with his size this could end up being a really good pick.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Why was i under the impression he was 6'6'? I only read 6'3''....but I swear I saw 6'6'' somewhere...

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Pure project that has no idea how to play defense. He's a rover. He's all over the place on the ice. Good puck skills, huge shot, big frame. Good skater.

But if he doesn't play defense, he has no room for him in the league. Good luck.
The London Knights are perfect for the kid and his development.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
Which is usually called hockey IQ and can rarely be teach at a level to make you very good at the NHL level.à

But yeah, if one team can teach him, it,s them. Though, we have no idea if he'll play there this year.

A lot of good offensive defensemen play rover styles in lower levels because they can. As the game gets more structured, those who succeed pick their spots better. I hope he will be able to do that.

In a comparison that I think is interesting, Subban was a rover when he was drafted also. To be fair, even in the NHL he had some bad tendencies that he could never quite fix, but it didn't stop him from becoming a star defenseman.

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
Read somewhere he has a canon shot and the best of the draft

From the LastWordonSports scouting report:

"Mailloux has an absolute cannon of a slap shot. He has one of the best point shots in the draft class. He also has an excellent one-timer and is able to adjust his feet to get it off even when the pass isn’t the greatest. Mailloux also has an excellent wrist shot. He can sneak into the top of the circles to let it go. Mailloux is also able to use it off the rush. He has a quick release. Mailloux is also able to toe-drag the puck and change his release angle."

So it does look like the shooting part of his game is up-to-par.

Seriously, skills-wise, is there any downside to this player? Play selection, hockey IQ, tactical and defensive play may be a work in progress, but in terms of attributes, he seems like the real deal.

PS: I really like the 6f4 defensemen. I feel this is often the best mix of physically imposing (with good reach) and retaining a good balance and footwork.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
From the LastWordonSports scouting report:

"Mailloux has an absolute cannon of a slap shot. He has one of the best point shots in the draft class. He also has an excellent one-timer and is able to adjust his feet to get it off even when the pass isn’t the greatest. Mailloux also has an excellent wrist shot. He can sneak into the top of the circles to let it go. Mailloux is also able to use it off the rush. He has a quick release. Mailloux is also able to toe-drag the puck and change his release angle."

So it does look like the shooting part of his game is up-to-par.

Seriously, skills-wise, is there any downside to this player? Play selection, hockey IQ, tactical and defensive play may be a work in progress, but in terms of attributes, he seems like the real deal.

PS: I really like the 6f4 defensemen. I feel this is often the best mix of physically imposing (with good reach) and retaining a good balance and footwork.
2021 NHL Draft: Logan Mailloux Scouting Report - Not Ranked

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Keep this topic open even if it reaches + than 1000 posts... I'm ignoring his prospect discussion until the stone is over. Hockey talks matters. We're hockey fans, let's stick to that. It's gods and justice job to judge humans not us.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Looks to me like Tinordi 2.0.

Easy to make that comparison but the twos players are nothing alike. Mailloux is still so raw in his development and the fact that he is getting that much praise for his shot and skating is a plus. Ceiling is unknown. It could be very high however.

Last edited:
Reactions: Just Linda

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Pure project that has no idea how to play defense. He's a rover. He's all over the place on the ice. Good puck skills, huge shot, big frame. Good skater.

But if he doesn't play defense, he has no room for him in the league. Good luck.

I like that, seems to me like a good gamble for a 31st overall

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
The thing is, if teams would have listened to this guy and not drafted him, and then he goes on to have a dominating season in London while being a model citizen, do you think teams wouldn't want to draft him in the first round next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad