Lockerroom clean out 2024

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I don't either, but I still want my players to have that drive. This was Thrun's first full season and it was a grueling one. But that helps him understand the grind and the physical and mental tolls a full season takes. But now he can go into the summer with a clearer perspective on what to train.

It would be great if he turns out like you suggested
Maybe he could become a top pairing D in the same context as Braun who was a top pairing D when paired with Vlassic.

He doesn’t have the tools to be a traditional 1D but could complement a 1D.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I don't either, but I still want my players to have that drive. This was Thrun's first full season and it was a grueling one. But that helps him understand the grind and the physical and mental tolls a full season takes. But now he can go into the summer with a clearer perspective on what to train.

It would be great if he turns out like you suggested
Drive and confidence is crucial, but being realistic about one's capabilities is important. That'll be the bedrock of how he trains.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
Drive and confidence is crucial, but being realistic about one's capabilities is important. That'll be the bedrock of how he trains.

Yes, we all understand that only true first pairing dmen should be hitting those offseason barbell hip thrusts. Don’t even get me started on Belgian split squats, if a dman like Thrun, clearly not first pairing material, even thinks about adding them to his training regiment he can kiss middle pairing good bye. Might even find himself out of the league.

:laugh:

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I liked what I heard from Thrun there honestly. He is taking a very growth oriented mind-set which I think is good to see. He clearly wants to be better and believes if he works hard enough it will happen. That belief is like 90% of life. That was always my problem with Goldobin. He was very much the opposite. Thought he was the best and that it would happen naturally. But it doesn't.

Thrun is 6'2", 190 lbs and former Capitan of the Harvard team. He has the tools. The body, the brain, the leadership, it's all there. He puts 10lbs of muscle on this summer and then another 10 the summer after and he will be in good shape. At 190 he is in the bottom 10/15% of defensemen in terms of weight and muscle mass. 210 would put him in the same category as someone like Drew Doughty, top 1/3rd or so. Ferraro is 2 inches shorter and weights 209 for example.

I think he knows what to do and has the right mind for success. Look forward to seeing what he comes back with.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
Thrun: "You don't think I can be a top pairing defenseman in the NHL? Okay, fine."
Narrator: It was not.
Thrun: "That's when it became personal for me."

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
I would hope every player his age would have that mindset. The only risk is a player who fails to realize, after time, they will never be that and fails to shift their focus toward being the best role player they can be to maximize their value in the role they are suited for.

Id rather a player accept that they are at best a #4 or #5 defenseman and try to maximize their ability specific to that role than play like a #6 or #7 because they are constantly trying to do things they just lack the skillset to do. Not sure if that makes sense...

If you are a REALLY good shutdown defenseman you can spend time trying to develop the offensive side of your game because maybe you can be even better all around. But if doing that results in your defensive play declining and you don't develop an offensive game that offsets that reduction in your core ability, you are better off just being good at what you are good at.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
There's nothing wrong with what Thrun said, imo. He's allowed to think he can be a top pairing dominant defenseman. He's young enough that it's possible, though unlikely, to take those steps. I think he has a lot of the tools to be that but I don't think he has dynamic playmaking capability but not all top pairing defensemen in the NHL are that. Even if all he becomes is a middle pairing guy that runs the power play for them effectively, that's a huge win for the team after trading their 3rd round pick this year to get such a player.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
There's nothing wrong with what Thrun said, imo. He's allowed to think he can be a top pairing dominant defenseman. He's young enough that it's possible, though unlikely, to take those steps. I think he has a lot of the tools to be that but I don't think he has dynamic playmaking capability but not all top pairing defensemen in the NHL are that. Even if all he becomes is a middle pairing guy that runs the power play for them effectively, that's a huge win for the team after trading their 3rd round pick this year to get such a player.
Vlasic managed to stay a top pairing defensemen for a long time without the ability to understand or ability to handle the puck on his stick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad