Lockerroom clean out 2024

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Sturms words about being embarrassed about being a professional hockey player makes me feel terrible that many fans were cheering these losses. Getting bent over wins. These guys have pride and want to do their very best.
Such is the way of sports.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Sturms words about being embarrassed about being a professional hockey player makes me feel terrible that many fans were cheering these losses. Getting bent over wins. These guys have pride and want to do their very best.
Such is the way of sports.
You keep saying “cheering for losses” when I never saw anyone here actually cheering for losses. It was more not being upset with loses because this team is bottom 2 in the cap era in win %. This team is absolute dumpster fire. Grier massively let down this team by not adding really anyone in FA last year.

Last edited:

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
You keep saying “cheering for wins” when I never saw anyone here actually cheering for wins. It was more not being upset with loses because this team is bottom 2 in the cap era in win %. This team is absolute dumpster fire. Grier massively let down this team by not adding really anyone in FA last year.
Cheering for losses. Slightly different.

Reactions: Grinner

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Sturm made $2 million dollars this year to play a game. I'm not really sad for him, especially since being in a position to play third-line minutes is partly why Sturm was continually being embarrassed (because he's not actually that good).

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Anyway, the interesting thing is trying to parse Grier's comments to understand how he sees the rebuild currently. Statements:
  • We were far worse than he intended. He takes responsibility. (It obviously didn't help that we lost our Captain/2C unexpectedly, and 1C Hertl was injured a fair bit also - 11-8-2 with three of four centers in the lineup. still probably would have ended last place, but was a big factor in how awful we were)
  • He thinks with our cap flex, he can add in FA "or trades".
  • Not looking to "shortcut the rebuild" by handing out term this offseason - won't throw more than 4 years at anyone.
  • From past comments, looking to take "a step forward."
  • Still talking about getting "a little bigger, a little faster, a little harder to play against" but no specific mention of improving the D.
  • Wants Smith to play. I'm reading tea leaves here that he hopes to dangle Smith (and Celebrini if we win lotto and he wants to come to NHL right away) to FA's as "hey, come help us build here" ala Chicago last offseason.
So from all that, we could expect he's pounding the pavement in FA, but he's not going to overpay someone on term (maybe he will on amount). Maybe he goes at Roy, Myers, Skjei, Stamkos, others with high numbers and short terms, but seems somewhat long-shot that we get them.

On the trade front, I'm not sure what he thinks is possible, since we don't have a ton of assets. Taking him at his word that he doesn't want to shortcut the rebuild, that likely means that any core prospects are off the table as are draft picks. That leaves our current roster, which is not full of amazing assets. Granlund is probably the best roster asset we have at this point. Him and the cap space.

As someone else said somewhere else, his directness is refreshing and it seems to be what is also attracting FA's (Graf e.g.). Hopefully he can build a solid rep as a GM through this.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
If I ever said what Sturm said in a retrospective, that would 100% be career-limiting feedback

Which is why I usually go with the thisisfineeverythingisfine.png feedback because I'm a coward that enjoys that sweet paycheck

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
The thing about Couture I cannot understand is how can a player get only 6 NHL games and not go on LTIR.

As to Vlasic, I don't think being bought out is a negotiation, but the decision will be done fully at the GM office. If Grier sees a mentor role for Vlasic, he'll stay. Otherwise, he will be bought out.

If the Sharks get Celebrini, and Smith next season, I think Grier will start shifting from rebuilding mode into competitive mode.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Zetterlund obviously took a huge step this year. I feel like he’s as big a piece as Eklund in a lot of ways. Bystedt and Edstrom have two very solid leaders to look up to once they eventually join the Sharks. Should Granny get the “C”?

Last edited:

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose

LTIR is a mechanism that allows team to go over cap to cover contract of replacement player.

Sharks did not have that issue so no reason to place him on LTIR.

The real reason is the Sharks didn't want a competitive team, or one more so than what we saw. Couture not going on LTIR, and the Sharks having nothing but AHL type goalies was the real give away for getting the best odds at 10A.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad