Lockerroom clean out 2024

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The thing about Couture I cannot understand is how can a player get only 6 NHL games and not go on LTIR.

As to Vlasic, I don't think being bought out is a negotiation, but the decision will be done fully at the GM office. If Grier sees a mentor role for Vlasic, he'll stay. Otherwise, he will be bought out.

If the Sharks get Celebrini, and Smith next season, I think Grier will start shifting from rebuilding mode into competitive mode.
Because Sharks never put him on LTIR cause they didn’t need the space.

Vlasic regardless if it’s a discussion or not a player of that caliber for the club, you talk to him that the plan is to buy him out. You don’t just say SURPRISE! day of

Reactions: Cas

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I'd argue the sharks overperformed relative to their roster. 48 games from Hertl, 6 from Couture, 0 from Meier, 0 from Karlsson. Added Eklund, Ruuta and Granlund. What did he think would happen exactly? Ferraro-Ruuta as top two d-men. Blackwood and Kahkonen as goalies. Granlund, Hertl, Zetterlund, and Eklund as the only legit/borderline top 6 forwards.

This team was built to be terrible. Pretty sure Grier knows that but he's taking it on the chin. I thin he's lying. He'll invest and try to turn the team into 3-5th next year, but honestly that's a battle.

Reactions: Sandisfan

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I'd argue the sharks overperformed relative to their roster. 48 games from Hertl, 6 from Couture, 0 from Meier, 0 from Karlsson. Added Eklund, Ruuta and Granlund. What did he think would happen exactly? Ferraro-Ruuta as top two d-men. Blackwood and Kahkonen as goalies. Granlund, Hertl, Zetterlund, and Eklund as the only legit/borderline top 6 forwards.

This team was built to be terrible. Pretty sure Grier knows that but he's taking it on the chin. I thin he's lying. He'll invest and try to turn the team into 3-5th next year, but honestly that's a battle.
I mean, he knew it was gonna be bad. But Granlund missed the first bunch of games and he's definitely above replacement level. Hertl with missed games. Benning, as much shit as he gets on the boards, is above Okhotiuk replacement level and probably better than Rutta. His injury is what made us do better with Addison of all players. I think this team is still worst without the injuries, but it's far closer to Chicago, maybe down to the wire. That's only 3-4 more wins after all.

I agree he knows it and is softening that a bit but I genuinely believe this team was built to be about 3-6 wins better than it ended up.

Agreed that it'll be a battle. I think we'll still be in the running for worst well into the last month of the season. And I am happy about that personally, so long as we take another step the following year and some of the prospects start to hit.

Reactions: Jargon

Jts4thgoal

King of the idiots
Aug 28, 2015
On paper the sharks were a better team heading into the start of the season, and the injuries took this team from bad to embarrassingly bad.

The sharks were destined to be bad this year just not 10-1 bad and then it just snowballed from there.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Going into the season with Hertl-Couture-Granlund-Sturm down the middle was respectable. The team underachieved relative to the team we thought we had, but not relative to the roster that was actually iced. If all of those guys had played even 60 games a piece for the Sharks, we probably wouldn’t have been able to out-tank the Hawks.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose

Lebanc made his bed by playing like absolute dogshit the last 3+ seasons and in the end he wasn't even worth a bag of used pucks. Addition by subtraction.

Hoffman was old, slow, and useless.

Barabanov is a little surprising, but we only traded a 7th to get him I believe so no loss there.

Last edited:

tahoesharksfan

Old-Timer
Apr 29, 2014
The Lake
Kinda sad that Labanc just grabbed his gear and got the fox out. Relationship broken.

I’ll never understand the LaBanc situation. DW convinced him, via his agent, to take less with a promise he’d ultimately get more. What a bad business decision and bad bet on yourself. He never did live up to the hype. Good luck to him going forward; in what ever he pursues, but it won’t be a career in the NHl…

Reactions: Chinaski89

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Thrun is...well, there is self-confidence and then there's delusion.
I don't hear delusion. I hear desire and drive. He can want to be a top pairing guy all he wants, and frankly all of our young D should be saying the same thing.

Now that he's said it publicly, time to prove it.

If he fails and still says "i can be a top pairing guy", then we can call him delusional lol

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
I’ll never understand the LaBanc situation. DW convinced him, via his agent, to take less with a promise he’d ultimately get more. What a bad business decision and bad bet on yourself. He never did live up to the hype. Good luck to him going forward; in what ever he pursues, but it won’t be a career in the NHl…

I don’t know how this was a bad bet on himself. He likely ended up with a bunch of money he’d probably not have if he’d have taken a standard bridge deal instead of the 1x1 + 4x4.725

Also, I’m not convinced his NHL career is over. I think he probably has one “prove it” contract available to him this year. IMO, at vet minimum he’s not a bad option for offensive depth, and the off chance he rediscovers his game in a new environment.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don’t know how this was a bad bet on himself. He likely ended up with a bunch of money he’d probably not have if he’d have taken a standard bridge deal instead of the 1x1 + 4x4.725

Also, I’m not convinced his NHL career is over. I think he probably has one “prove it” contract available to him this year. IMO, at vet minimum he’s not a bad option for offensive depth, and the off chance he rediscovers his game in a new environment.
I mean, it wasn't a bad bet on himself because he got the GM to give him the contract he wanted anyway. The problem was DW thinking that it was a good idea to make him whole after he got 33 points in 70 games and thinking that player was worth committing 4.725 mil in cap to.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
Going into the season with Hertl-Couture-Granlund-Sturm down the middle was respectable. The team underachieved relative to the team we thought we had, but not relative to the roster that was actually iced. If all of those guys had played even 60 games a piece for the Sharks, we probably wouldn’t have been able to out-tank the Hawks.

I believe they never got to ice a roster with all 4 of them in the line up.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I mean their defense was awful. Even with those 4 I don’t think you can outscore what the defense gave up.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I mean their defense was awful. Even with those 4 I don’t think you can outscore what the defense gave up.
Nobody is saying it's a playoff team, but rather that it is not the worst team in the league. Just look at the handful of games that Couture came back and played. Team went 4-1-1 in the 6 games that he played. They also gave up 2.67 goals per game compared to 4.04 goals per game on the season.

Good chance that if the Hertl-Couture-Granlund-Sturm center group plays 80% of the games together up until the trade deadline, we're sitting closer to Anaheim/Columbus territory at 60-65 points rather than battling it out with Chicago for the best lottery odds.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Obviously. But there’s a difference between “probably a bottom-2 team in the league” with all those four centers healthy and “literal abomination, affront to the sport of hockey, worst record in the cap era” with only one or two of them in the lineup. My point is that going into the season, neither Grier nor us expected the team to be this bad.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Obviously. But there’s a difference between “probably a bottom-2 team in the league” with all those four centers healthy and “literal abomination, affront to the sport of hockey, worst record in the cap era” with only one or two of them in the lineup. My point is that going into the season, neither Grier nor us expected the team to be this bad.
Id like to add that even if they did finish dead last the team would be infinitely more watchable. Losing 6-4 is more fun than 10-1

Reactions: Sharksfan66

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I believe they never got to ice a roster with all 4 of them in the line up.
Not only did they never get any games with all 4 of them. They only had 22 games where they iced 3 of them. They won 11 of those 22 games.

This team was never going to be good but the biggest strength of the team going into the season was their Center depth and that was destroyed by injuries.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I don't hear delusion. I hear desire and drive. He can want to be a top pairing guy all he wants, and frankly all of our young D should be saying the same thing.

Now that he's said it publicly, time to prove it.

If he fails and still says "i can be a top pairing guy", then we can call him delusional lol
My issue is that I don't see the vision or physical tools where he can become a top-pairing dman. If I were a coach, I'd be having a conversation about Thrun about what his path to NHL relevancy is...and I suspect that it'd be as a middle-pairing dman who can move the puck well and is solid defensively (think a better version of Matt Benning).

The Sharks were unlucky with injuries this season, but it seems like Couture was gone "from the start" (similar to how Arizona wasn't unlucky that Shea Weber couldn't' play).

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
My issue is that I don't see the vision or physical tools where he can become a top-pairing dman. If I were a coach, I'd be having a conversation about Thrun about what his path to NHL relevancy is...and I suspect that it'd be as a middle-pairing dman who can move the puck well and is solid defensively (think a better version of Matt Benning).

The Sharks were unlucky with injuries this season, but it seems like Couture was gone "from the start" (similar to how Arizona wasn't unlucky that Shea Weber couldn't' play).
The Couture-Weber comparison is not really apples to apples. Weber was already out and known to be out for the rest of his career. They were nowhere near as clear with Couture's prognosis and I don't see what point is made by comparing the two in this regard.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
The Couture-Weber comparison is not really apples to apples. Weber was already out and known to be out for the rest of his career. They were nowhere near as clear with Couture's prognosis and I don't see what point is made by comparing the two in this regard.
Exactly. It wasn’t even reported he was injured until after “Captain’s Skates” started.

Reactions: Juxtaposer

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Id like to add that even if they did finish dead last the team would be infinitely more watchable. Losing 6-4 is more fun than 10-1
Yup exactly. We may not have been much better in the standings but we wouldn’t have been blown out 8-1 literally one in four games like we did this season.

Reactions: Sandisfan

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I don't either, but I still want my players to have that drive. This was Thrun's first full season and it was a grueling one. But that helps him understand the grind and the physical and mental tolls a full season takes. But now he can go into the summer with a clearer perspective on what to train.

It would be great if he turns out like you suggested

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad