Little Caesers Arena Thread II - Safety Mesh and an Ugly Roof

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
As if they weren't making money hand over fist while they were winning championships? C'mon.

Yes, the Almighty Dollar is very very high on their list. But that's nothing new; they've been growing an empire for decades. My complaint is that, for a very long period of time, they still managed to make a ton of money WHILE ALSO setting a tremendously high standard of the quality of the product, and their respective on-ice level of success...but now the latter seems to have fallen off their to-do list altogether.

Perhaps Chris is simply a very different owner than his father was. But if that's his long-term approach, this team won't be worth watching for quite awhile.

Of course they did. All championship teams make $$. That's why the NHL changed the rules to "spread the wealth", so teams on the brink of relocating (Pens) can save their franchise.

I guess the NHL got sick of 3 teams in the cup mix every-single-playoffs and wanted more diversity.

What we are experiencing is completely by design of the nu:NHL. I get why we, Red Wings fans, hate it and Pens and CHI fans love it.

Going back to the I's, they are living off the coattails of past success and seem content milking it while they can. When they get TML bad and people stop paying, I suspect they'll give the GM the greenlight for a 10-year tank window, and hope to nab a generational player or two... but even that takes lots and lots of luck.

The new arena is the shiny new toy and people will pay to go despite the product on the ice.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Of course they did. All championship teams make $$. That's why the NHL changed the rules to "spread the wealth", so teams on the brink of relocating (Pens) can save their franchise.

I guess the NHL got sick of 3 teams in the cup mix every-single-playoffs and wanted more diversity.

What we are experiencing is completely by design of the nu:NHL. I get why we, Red Wings fans, hate it and Pens and CHI fans love it.

Going back to the I's, they are living off the coattails of past success and seem content milking it while they can. When they get TML bad and people stop paying, I suspect they'll give the GM the greenlight for a 10-year tank window, and hope to nab a generational player or two... but even that takes lots and lots of luck.

The new arena is the shiny new toy and people will pay to go despite the product on the ice.
There's 15-20 teams that I don't see turtling in this new business climate, and Detroit isn't one of them.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
I think the Ilitches all along knew the light up roof was never going to happen, but it just made for a sweet looking artist rendering when trying to sell the politicians to spend tax payer money to billionaires.

Furthermore I believe they knew all along it would be Little Caesars Arena and that their dumb ass logo would be painted on the roof - which again was kept secret when trying to secure the public funding.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Are people finally seeing what the true motivation behind the Ilitch family is yet?

If that's the case

Then hopefully they lose enough money to be forced to sell

I mean who could cheer for an owner who cares only about his financial return and not about the product nor the fans?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

So it is all the NHL and the Illitches fault, and 0% on the GM...

Chicago and Pittsburgh are good because of the moves they made 10 years ago, they will have to face the same obstacles soon enough.

CKJohn

Apr 23, 2007
Nothing to worry about with the orange mesh. It's half down now.

36 days left and I can't wait to get outa here. Still can't see this done by then. Seating isn't even done yet.

stu the grim reaper

Jul 3, 2002
If that's the case

I mean who could cheer for an owner who cares only about his financial return and not about the product nor the fans?

things arent really that black and white -- most owners are somewhere between. The ilitches are probably more fan-friendly than average

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
If that's the case

Unfortunately, in this day and age, there's probably only a handful of big time sports owners who put product/fans above finaces.

We're well beyond the days where billionaires see owning a sports team as just a side hobby.

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
Unfortunately, in this day and age, there's probably only a handful of big time sports owners who put product/fans above finaces.

We're well beyond the days where billionaires see owning a sports team as just a side hobby.

NHL has done everything to prevent it. What fun is having a team as a hobby when you can't even buy all the shiny new toys that you like?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/articl...ames-ex-kings-exec-chris-granger-as-new-group

Some new executive will join from Sacramento Kings.

Ilitch Holdings names ex-Kings exec Chris Granger as new group president

"Bringing Chris to Detroit and to our organization is a big win," Chris Ilitch said in a statement "His proven history of innovation, fan-first approach and community commitment are a perfect fit for our team as we prepare for the opening of Little Caesars Arena and ongoing development across The District Detroit. We're incredibly excited to add Chris to our already very strong team."

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
NHL has done everything to prevent it. What fun is having a team as a hobby when you can't even buy all the shiny new toys that you like?

Problem with a chunk of the league was that before the cap ceiling/floor that there were some owners who refused to spend on their clubs regardless. What has done the most in leveling the league has been forcing teams to spend on their rosters.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
If that's the case

Get the hell out of here with this.

1) Chris Illitch hasn't been at the helm long enough with free reign enough to state anything like this definitively.

2) For anything negative that has ever been said about Mr. I... He was NEVER shy about spending money on his sports teams for attempts at on-field/on-ice success. For the longest time... he was too generous and too eager and got the teams locked into long term deals at crazy price points. I truly feel that Mr. I wasn't pushing for the streak to necessarily get two home gates. He seemed to really value acomplishments and a 25 year streak (the third or fourth longest in sports all-time) is a pretty damn huge accomplishment, even if you poopoo hockey playoffs because "more than half the league make it in).

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

36 days left and I can't wait to get outa here. Still can't see this done by then. Seating isn't even done yet.

Looking like a lot of OT. :laugh:

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

I know just watching it on the District Detroit Web Cam it looks like there's still tons more too do there before the September 1st Grand Opening.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Get the hell out of here with this.

1) Chris Illitch hasn't been at the helm long enough with free reign enough to state anything like this definitively.

2) For anything negative that has ever been said about Mr. I... He was NEVER shy about spending money on his sports teams for attempts at on-field/on-ice success. For the longest time... he was too generous and too eager and got the teams locked into long term deals at crazy price points. I truly feel that Mr. I wasn't pushing for the streak to necessarily get two home gates. He seemed to really value acomplishments and a 25 year streak (the third or fourth longest in sports all-time) is a pretty damn huge accomplishment, even if you poopoo hockey playoffs because "more than half the league make it in).

Hey man I didn't bring it up nor did i suggest that the owners only care about profit over fans or success

But I did say IF that were true then I hope they lose enough money to be forced to sell

I don't believe profits is the sole driver that all said

CKJohn

Apr 23, 2007
Ok guys, cool stuff in the arena today. The LED lights they have on the grid (where the orange mesh is/was) is working and is extremely cool. Today they had the lights shaped out so that it was an American flag. They also strobe with the music being played. May seem different but it's not bad at all. It's even cooler if you're walking on the grid.

Someone PM me so I can send pictures. I wish I could post them myself but I could loose my job if I did. As someone already said. Crazy amounts of OT and I don't want to miss out. However, since whoever I send them to is not bound by the same, they can post them. Heads up though, they need to be sent via text and do not credit me with the pictures.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Ok guys, cool stuff in the arena today. The LED lights they have on the grid (where the orange mesh is/was) is working and is extremely cool. Today they had the lights shaped out so that it was an American flag. They also strobe with the music being played. May seem different but it's not bad at all. It's even cooler if you're walking on the grid.

Someone PM me so I can send pictures. I wish I could post them myself but I could loose my job if I did. As someone already said. Crazy amounts of OT and I don't want to miss out. However, since whoever I send them to is not bound by the same, they can post them. Heads up though, they need to be sent via text and do not credit me with the pictures.

Don't risk your job for something everyone is going to see eventually.

Be safe working!

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

I've noticed on the District Detroit Web Cam on the interior view that they're testing the ribbon boards around the Arena the different colors looks pretty cool plus they're testing the jewel as well with the different colors added looks pretty neat.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Really people are still crying about the roof??

Are people from down state that big of little cry babies? Oh no the entire arena is ruined for you guys because now when you happen to be in a helicopter hovering over downtown Detroit you won't see a pretty LEB roof top. I mean seriously what did you guys plan on doing with this roof? WHY do you care what the roof looks like? Get over it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad