Sportsnet: Lindholm wants to stay in Calgary. Backlund and Hanifin will decide based on team success this year

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Devils advocate: as a driven player, would you want to sign long term with a team that is going to be bad for the foreseeable future if you had a choice?
I don't think any team will be bad for extended periods anymore unless we're talking about a scorch the earth rebuild (which sucks, let me tell you). And in that case, you use your NTC and present a list of teams you'll accept a trade to.

I think....with the right moves, even Calgary with their ridiculous contracts could rebound well. So it becomes a question of: do you want to stay? if you're wavering, you probably don't.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
The goal is winning the cup , my team iced a piss roster for 20 years while trying to compete so yeah
We never had a chance in that finals we made we got spanked and went to the finals with the most mediocre team I've ever seen in my life. Impressive but at the end it gets you nothing to ice mediocre teams for 2 decades
The Flames were first in their division just 2 years ago. Without their terrible performance in overtime and shoot outs last year, they were very well competing for the division title.

They are so much better than the Habs were. It's not the same thing. The Flames missed the playoffs by a couple of points. They weren't competing for a lottery pick.

Devils advocate: as a driven player, would you want to sign long term with a team that is going to be bad for the foreseeable future if you had a choice?
The Flames are not going to be bad this year.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Once the Flames sign Lindholm to a bad deal, the team is stuck in mediocrity for the next 8 years (not that they are not already) but if Lindholm is signed, than it is guarantee. Right now they have a chance to the do the right thing and rebuild.

Conroy been there for 10 years in a management position, he knows how to be the "Yes Boss" type.

The Flames are already mediocre despite winning the division what 2 seasons ago? That year the entire team completely overachieved and were the healthiest team in the NHL. They also happened to have the best line in hockey. They had all the luck on their side that year. It gave the province a false sense that the Flames were serious contenders.

It's only going to get worse. Not sure if going with another rookie head coach is the answer. Huska could be Glen Gulutzan all over again or even worse Greg Gilbert. This is definitely a big year for the Flames in telling their future.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
He better hope Calgary signs him because Boston is not signing him for 9 plus........sorry keep him

Never say never. I think Elias Lindholm would fit into Jim Montgomery's system in Boston really well. He's not going to make up for the loss of Bergeron but he would ease the pain for Bruins fans.

If Zacha doesn't work out as #1C and it causes Boston to slide down the standings, Boston will be looking to fill that need quick.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
If they've put a contract in front of him with an AAV that starts with 9 and he hasn't signed it then trade him. Simple as that. If he wants to feel it out until the New Year fine but any longer than that you're just backing yourself into a corner.

Hanifin should be traded regardless if he wants to stay or not. Backs it really depends on what happens with Lindholm. I'd welcome him back on a two or three year in the right circumstances.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Backlund publicly said last season that he wants a cup. Not sure why he’s still undecided, does he honestly believe he’s going to win a cup as a Flame?

That’s shit all players say. They also want to make the most money possible.

If it comes down to taking an extreme pay cut for the former, they will most likely choose the latter.

Even joining the best team in the league, a cup is far from a guarantee

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
I wouldn't want to sign a guy long term when half of his foot is out the door. You either commit or you don't. You can always be traded later if things don't work out.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
If they've put a contract in front of him with an AAV that starts with 9 and he hasn't signed it then trade him. Simple as that. If he wants to feel it out until the New Year fine but any longer than that you're just backing yourself into a corner.

Hanifin should be traded regardless if he wants to stay or not. Backs it really depends on what happens with Lindholm. I'd welcome him back on a two or three year in the right circumstances.
I agree with this, you absolutely do not want to end up in another situation like the Gaudreau one.

It feels like these guys will string management along using the “see how the team is” excuse but really they’re just trying to grow their leverage in hopes of doing exactly what you said which is backing the team into a corner where they can be squeezed for more.

I’m also curious if when we get to the deadline and Flames are hovering in or around a playoff spot but these guys aren’t extended if Murray Edwards is going to allow Conroy to sell off their better pieces.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019

If it comes down to taking an extreme pay cut for the former, they will most likely choose the latter.

True but I would have ready traded Backlund and Hanifin by now. It's not like Backlund is a highly conveted top 6 forward. He would get a lot of calls from contenders and his value will never be higher. The same goes for Hanifin but I think they're waiting to see how Kylington transitions back before they make a move.

Flames can lose both of them and really not be that much worse. Get prospects back.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

lettuceAA

Dec 16, 2010
Said back when the news of all this guys wanting out was mostly just media looking for clicks and/or agents looking for leverage on negotiations. I still believe the flames are going to surprise a lot of people and have a bounce back year.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I agree with this, you absolutely do not want to end up in another situation like the Gaudreau one.

It feels like these guys will string management along using the “see how the team is” excuse but really they’re just trying to grow their leverage in hopes of doing exactly what you said which is backing the team into a corner where they can be squeezed for more.

Is what it is. Quality players in their 20s that are set to be UFAs have leverage and I won't begrudge them for using it. Flames are often a team that their results seem to depend on the vibe. Well the vibes this season may well determine the future outlook of the franchise. Flames fans have been all over Huberdeau, Kadri, and Markstrom but at least those guys are committed to being here.

I’m also curious if when we get to the deadline and Flames are hovering in or around a playoff spot but these guys aren’t extended if Murray Edwards is going to allow Conroy to sell off their better pieces.

lol ya who knows
Murray is going to stick his nose in it either way. He might want them dealt just out of pure spite for how the Gaudreau situation ended.

Bond

May 10, 2012

I’ve heard through a somewhat reliable source that it isn’t an 8 year offer and that’s why it isn’t signed. No clue if it is true but they knew about the Gudbranson signing years ago lol

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Never say never. I think Elias Lindholm would fit into Jim Montgomery's system in Boston really well. He's not going to make up for the loss of Bergeron but he would ease the pain for Bruins fans.

If Zacha doesn't work out as #1C and it causes Boston to slide down the standings, Boston will be looking to fill that need quick.
Thanks for the sale pitch , not giving 8 years for 9 mil plus for a guy that will turn 30 2 months in .......I would rather wait for Petterson ............

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Lindholm might be a 1st line center right now but he’s also a complimentary offensive player. Giving him a huge contract with a number approaching 10M would be pretty bad

if that’s what it takes should probably sell for best offer

“Complimentary” and “offensive” is a big contrast. Does he clap for his line mates as he ridicules them?

Apologies. I realize most aren’t here for the grammar/spelling/vocabulary wisecracks. 😬

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I don't blame any player for wanting a chance to win.

We'll see how badly Lindholm wants to be in Calgary. This is his chance for the biggest contract of his career. If he wants to go to the highest bidder, he's going to keep his cards to his chest.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Thanks for the sale pitch , not giving 8 years for 9 mil plus for a guy that will turn 30 2 months in .......I would rather wait for Petterson ............

Don’t see how the Bruins could be in the running for Elias unless everyone of their prospects of interest pop. I would certainly give Lindholm a contract with a 9 if it was as a UFA. Wouldn’t pay a kings ransom to do so in addition. A Horvat level trade? Sure.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Don’t see how the Bruins could be in the running for Elias unless everyone of their prospects of interest pop. I would certainly give Lindholm a contract with a 9 if it was as a UFA. Wouldn’t pay a kings ransom to do so in addition. A Horvat level trade? Sure.
We agree to disagree , Horvat wasn't worth the money I said it then and I will say it now.............

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta

And there is the rub. The grass may look greener on the other side, but there is no guarantee.

Backs was here when Iginla wandered off to find the Holy Grail. It didn't work for him. While Igninla has been feted and is now back in the fold as a special advisor he could have carried on here as a respected veteran and Captain.

I think Backs will re-sign if appointed Captain (he wants recognition and respect) once Lindholm re-signs. That and the new coaching and optimism will convince him to stay in the community.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
The Flames were first in their division just 2 years ago. Without their terrible performance in overtime and shoot outs last year, they were very well competing for the division title.

They are so much better than the Habs were. It's not the same thing. The Flames missed the playoffs by a couple of points. They weren't competing for a lottery pick.

The Flames are not going to be bad this year.
That may be your prerogative, but they didn’t impress anyone this off-season and everyone is a year older. They’re likely to be 2-30 points out of the playoffs.

They will then draft a rando and improve 0.

This is my opinion, though.

Reactions: Devonator

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
The Flames are going to surprise a lot of teams this season. In a good way. They do have a very talented core in Huberdeau, Kadri, Backlund, Mangiapane, Lindholm, Weegar, Hanifin, and Markstrom. Dube and Sharangovich are solid.

Skilled youngsters Pelletier and Coronato are ready to make the jump.

The defensive group is very strong and arguably one of the best in the Division, if not the league.

It will be an interesting year.

Pukboy5kroner

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
So why say anything really? It's not like the upcoming season should make or break your decision anyway, everyone knows a pending free agent can do as he wish.

Anyway, I told you, I'm likely the only one that reads that kind of quote and cringes a little.
I do as well. Mainly because the player saying it should usually play a big part in how the team does during the season.

Reactions: SpezDispenser

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
1000006950.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad