Sportsnet: Lindholm wants to stay in Calgary. Backlund and Hanifin will decide based on team success this year

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019

In Lindholm’s case, he’s surely more than comfortable knowing that no matter where he signs next season his salary will likely start with a nine.

Good news for Flames nation that their #1C wants to stay. I have a feeling he’s going to get overpaid though. I think Conroy overpays just to get it done and over with - his hands are tied. 9.75M for 6 years I think he gets.

Backlund publicly said last season that he wants a cup. Not sure why he’s still undecided, does he honestly believe he’s going to win a cup as a Flame?

Last edited:

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Perhaps I'm the only one that gets slightly aggravated when i hear a player say they'll assess their future with the club based on the how well they do in the upcoming season.
All three of them are good friends off the ice, no surprise that they likely chat amongst themselves on deciding whether to stay or leave.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Why ? It's common sense that till they sign something could make them change their mind to either leave or stay and it's their right to do so.
So why say anything really? It's not like the upcoming season should make or break your decision anyway, everyone knows a pending free agent can do as he wish.

Anyway, I told you, I'm likely the only one that reads that kind of quote and cringes a little.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

Good news for Flames nation that their #1C wants to stay. I have a feeling he’s going to get overpaid though. I think Conroy overpays just to get it done and over with - his hands are tied. 9.75M for 6 years I think he gets.

Backlund publicly said last season that he wants a cup. Not sure why he’s still undecided, does he honestly believe he’s going to win a cup as a Flame?

That's a terrible contract for Lindholm. Conroy needs to grow a pair and trade him if his demand is that.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
So why say anything really? It's not like the upcoming season should make or break your decision anyway, everyone knows a pending free agent can do as he wish.

Anyway, I told you, I'm likely the only one that reads that kind of quote and cringes a little.
I just think say nothing people read into it as you're leaving, say you'll stay or something and fans pissed if you leave so you just say that but idk

Reactions: SpezDispenser

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
That's a terrible contract for Lindholm. Conroy needs to grow a pair and trade him if his demand is that.

Unfortunately the Flames are going to have to overpay by a significant amount to get players to resign. Sutter and Treliving sunk this organization into the trenches last year. But I agree, I would trade him if he wants 9+ a year. Boston will be calling about him.

Ledge And Dairy

Unfortunately the Flames are going to have to overpay by a significant amount to get players to resign. Sutter and Treliving sunk this organization into the trenches last year. But I agree, I would trade him if he wants 9+ a year. Boston will be calling about him.
So why would they not just offer more term at a lower AAV? Lindholm is trying to get his retirement contract.

Outside of maybe moving Monahan to sign Kadri im not sure how you think Tre sunk the team last year. The Tkachuk return was widely viewed as a slam dunk. Not Tre's fault Huberdeau struggled under a dictator like coach in Sutter

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
They’ve given the flames what, 6 or 7+ seasons now? The org has a responsibility to be competitive.

It shouldn’t be totally discounted that a lot of how competitive the “org” is comes down to the players themselves.

Obviously there’s a lot of factors here, but it is a little strange (to me) when fans and players act like how the organization performs collectively is somehow totally outside the players who are hinting that they may leave.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto

2 seasons ago the Flames won their division and were one of the cup favourites going into the playoffs. Last year was disastrous but it wasn't because of a lack of talent or bad line up. If the Flames can put it together again this year, I see no reason why they won't be in the hunt for division lead. This is probably what Backlund wants to see.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
There aren't many options for Lindholm if he's looking for the best of both worlds like I'm assuming, meaning the money and a chance to get into the playoffs and win. And not all of them are worth leaving CGY for.

At the same time, Calgary is all in so losing a top line center would be a disaster.

So yeah, not surprised if they do come to an agreement. And I'm not surprised if they make the playoffs this year. The Flames love to play with a chip on their shoulder and in the past decade always seem to perform when that's the case.

dixie

Mar 15, 2022
For what they paid him why can t Kadri be a no. 1 center,Backlund 2 and a young player they keep talking about Coronado as 3!

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Blow it up , Can't win with guys with 1 foot out of the door , have some self respect Calgary , go scorched earth , It's over
What's over?
Flames don't purposely lose like other teams.
For what they paid him why can t Kadri be a no. 1 center,Backlund 2 and a young player they keep talking about Coronado as 3!
Coronato is a winger. He will not be a centre in the NHL.

If anyone is taking the number 3 centre spot, it would be Zary.

Since when is 7 million dollars the price of a number one centre? Kadri is paid like a number 2.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Perhaps I'm the only one that gets slightly aggravated when i hear a player say they'll assess their future with the club based on the how well they do in the upcoming season.
Ehh it makes sense to me because if the team sucks, they will have no problems trading them to wherever at the deadline.

At the end of the day, it is a business relationship. Also, for the Flames it could be a blessing in disguise to get futures for these guys.

I remember when Johnny Gaudreau said "I do really, really love it here" as free agency was looming

That little liar
Exactly! I would rather Backlund and Hanifin be upfront with this than lying through their teeth like Johnny Hockey. It makes it much easier to run your hockey club

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad