Sportsnet: Lindholm wants to stay in Calgary. Backlund and Hanifin will decide based on team success this year

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

Good news for Flames nation that their #1C wants to stay. I have a feeling he’s going to get overpaid though. I think Conroy overpays just to get it done and over with - his hands are tied. 9.75M for 6 years I think he gets.

Backlund publicly said last season that he wants a cup. Not sure why he’s still undecided, does he honestly believe he’s going to win a cup as a Flame?
It’s hilarious you think he’d resign for less than 8 years.

Let’s be real this time. That deal you just referenced… make it 8 years and now you’re realistic.

Lindholm resigns at $9.75mm x 8 years. The idea he’s leave a few years on the table at his age… total fantasy on your end. The Flames are going for it now. They’ll have a really really bad team 6-8 years from now.

Lindholm is your best pending UFA. Your GM is right to prioritize/target retaining him over the others.

And his agent is absolutely going to rip your GMs face off in an 8 year extension.

Last edited:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
You have to trade them, man. Even if you make the playoffs are you gonna let these clowns get to UFA and walk for nothing? Again? You have to be SO sure that you're gonna win a cup this year to even bother risking holding on to them. Get some value in some trades and move on.

Reactions: deleted user

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
You don't want to be here, so get lost then.. Seriously! Hanifin especially with his little comments: 'Oh I haven't really thought about it'.

What? What?!? It's 3 weeks out from the season. You haven't thought about it? Little weasel.

Conroy and/or ownership doesn't have the stones to do what is plain as day necessary.

This is on par with this organisation. 😭

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Let’s be real this time. That deal you just referenced… make it 8 years and now you’re realistic.

Lindholm resigns at $9.75mm x 8 years.
Would Lindholm expect less than what Huberdough gets?

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
What's over?
Flames don't purposely lose like other teams.
And that's why you will suffer in mediocrity for a little while more , ask Canadiens or Vancouver or Calgary fans what going for it every year gets us lol.

Funny the only two good Canadian teams that are a shoe in for the playoffs got good by tanking maybe the others should take note? I for one am happy my team broke the *battle for a playoff spot and anything can happen* curse

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
And that's why you will suffer in mediocrity for a little while more , ask Canadiens or Vancouver or Calgary fans what going for it every year gets us lol.

Funny the only two good Canadian teams got good by tanking maybe the other should take note? I for one am happy my team broke the *battle for a playoff spot and anything can happen* curse
I am a Calgary fan.

Tell me more about how I feel.

You're happy you are bottom feeders and drafting poorly? Good for you, You prefer that over being in the cup final a few years ago? Wonderful.

You think Edmonton is a good example? How many first overall picks and bottom 10 finishes did it take before they got their Generational talent?

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
So why would they not just offer more term at a lower AAV? Lindholm is trying to get his retirement contract.

Outside of maybe moving Monahan to sign Kadri im not sure how you think Tre sunk the team last year. The Tkachuk return was widely viewed as a slam dunk. Not Tre's fault Huberdeau struggled under a dictator like coach in Sutter

Signing a new player before they even played a game with their new team to an open book contract is not the smartest move. Flames should have rebuild last year, it was the perfect time, the writing was on the wall with Tkachuk and Gaudreau both leaving. Unless Huberdeau bounces back to a PPG winger, this contract is going to be one of the worst in the NHL., if it's not already there.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019

Lindholm resigns at $9.75mm x 8 years. The idea he’s leave a few years on the table at his age… total fantasy on your end. The Flames are going for it now. They’ll have a really really bad team 6-8 years from now.

Lindholm is your best pending UFA. Your GM is right to prioritize/target retaining him over the others.

And his agent is absolutely going to rip your GMs face off in an 8 year extension.

With Huberdeau already on a long term contract and Kadri on another terrible contract going into his late 30's, I'd be hesitant to offer 8 years to Lindholm who would be 36 at the end. But you're right, I think the Flames get suckered into 8 years again. Conroy has his hands tied and he's going to have to pay what is asked.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
With Huberdeau already on a long term contract and Kadri on another terrible contract going into his late 30's, I'd be hesitant to offer 8 years to Lindholm who would be 36 at the end. But you're right, I think the Flames get suckered into 8 years again. Conroy has his hands tied and he's going to have to pay what is asked.
Suckered?

LOL

Reactions: Nanuuk

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Blow it up , Can't win with guys with 1 foot out of the door , have some self respect Calgary , go scorched earth , It's over

I said it last summer. They should’ve immediately flipped Huberdeau and Weegar. A half retained Huberdeau coming off a 115 pt year would’ve brought in a f***ing haul but Calgary prefers to toil in the middle than blow it up

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I still don't understand why the Flames ownership handed the keys to an inexperienced Conroy at such a pivotal moment for the franchise. They should have picked a lane - either blow up or double-down on the current (aging) core and then hire a manager with experience executing the desired plan. Instead, rookie Conroy blundered the Toffoli trade and then sat on his hands all summer. If the Flames don't improve quickly, he's going to be on the clock to disassemble the roster before the deadline and the other GMs know that.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
I said it last summer. They should’ve immediately flipped Huberdeau and Weegar. A half retained Huberdeau coming off a 115 pt year would’ve brought in a f***ing haul but Calgary prefers to toil in the middle than blow it up
Huberdeau was coming off 4 straight elite seasons. Stop acting like he is paid based on one outlier. He averaged 100 points per 82 games over 4 years prior to that contract.

I still don't understand why the Flames ownership handed the keys to an inexperienced Conroy at such a pivotal moment for the franchise. They should have picked a lane - either blow up or double-down on the current (aging) core and then hire a manager with experience executing the desired plan. Instead, rookie Conroy blundered the Toffoli trade and then sat on his hands all summer. If the Flames don't improve quickly, he's going to be on the clock to disassemble the roster before the deadline and the other GMs know that.
Inexperienced? Conroy has done almost every office position within the Flames. Heaven forbid they don't go and sign someone who has been fired for losing with another team rather than promote a home grown manager from within.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Hanifin has basically said he wants to stay, but wants to see how things are going first.

Backlund has also basically said the same thing.

It is interpreting the phrase "see how things are going" that is problematic.

The logic is flawed if they feel the grass is greener on the other side.

For starters a team may not have the cap room or may not be prepared to break up their chemistry. The team they are looking at may be going great guns, and then may not. There are no guarantees.

Just as there is no guarantee the GM will trade them to a contender. The GM is just as likely to banish them to a ground feeder, especially if they are a rental. The number of teams the GM could deal with would be increased.

Contrast that with staying with the team you know, and the talent they have, with the structural changes they've made, and re-signing makes more sense.

A re-signed player is more marketable, assuming to play up to their contract, and depending on clauses the player has more control over his fate.

I think that once the main domino falls (Lindholm), the others will fall into line as there is a strong desire to keep the band together.

Combined with some new recruits hopefully making the team to provide youth and exuberance, Calgary will not be a pushover this season.

Worse case scenario is that both are traded at the TDL.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
It will be interesting if Conroy sticks to his statement about not letting guys walk for nothing.

I’m betting we get to the deadline and Flames will be hanging around a wildcard spot and these guys will still be non committal about re-signing and at that point it’ll be interesting if Conroy sticks to what he’s said and gets something for some of these pending free agents and also if Murray Edwards allows him to trade some of their important UFA’s while they’re still in the playoff hunt.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
It will be interesting if Conroy sticks to his statement about not letting guys walk for nothing.

I’m betting we get to the deadline and Flames will be hanging around a wildcard spot and these guys will still be non committal about re-signing and at that point it’ll be interesting if Conroy sticks to what he’s said and gets something for some of these pending free agents and also if Murray Edwards allows him to trade some of their important UFA’s while they’re still in the playoff hunt.
I think it depends on whether the team feels they can backfill with the loss of a player.

In the case of Hanifin, I feel the answer is yes (assuming no injuries in the D Corps.). Still, a strong D is necessary for a long play-off run.

In the case of Backlund, there is no heir apparent should he be traded. Given his tenure i might be inclined to play the hand out. Keep him to the end and then see if he re-signs.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Ehh it makes sense to me because if the team sucks, they will have no problems trading them to wherever at the deadline.

At the end of the day, it is a business relationship. Also, for the Flames it could be a blessing in disguise to get futures for these guys.

Exactly! I would rather Backlund and Hanifin be upfront with this than lying through their teeth like Johnny Hockey. It makes it much easier to run your hockey club

I heard reports he wanted to sign for a high amount at 8 years and it was declined the year prior. When he did well they finally offered the contract but it was too late.

Maybe I am wrong though.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
9M x 6 would be perfect imo.

Trade Backlund. Love the guy but his value is peaked

If Hanifin signs before christmas great. But I'd want Tanev or Zadorov traded in that case.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Hanifin has basically said he wants to stay, but wants to see how things are going first.

Backlund has also basically said the same thing.

It is interpreting the phrase "see how things are going" that is problematic.

The logic is flawed if they feel the grass is greener on the other side.

For starters a team may not have the cap room or may not be prepared to break up their chemistry. The team they are looking at may be going great guns, and then may not. There are no guarantees.

Just as there is no guarantee the GM will trade them to a contender. The GM is just as likely to banish them to a ground feeder, especially if they are a rental. The number of teams the GM could deal with would be increased.

Contrast that with staying with the team you know, and the talent they have, with the structural changes they've made, and re-signing makes more sense.

A re-signed player is more marketable, assuming to play up to their contract, and depending on clauses the player has more control over his fate.

I think that once the main domino falls (Lindholm), the others will fall into line as there is a strong desire to keep the band together.

Combined with some new recruits hopefully making the team to provide youth and exuberance, Calgary will not be a pushover this season.

Worse case scenario is that both are traded at the TDL.
You say the GM can banish them to a bottom feeder but would you say that many bottom feeders are trading assets for rentals at the deadline?

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary

A haul of what exactly? couple late firsts? No one that would want an elite level rental has game changing assets for sale.

You do that, zero chance Lindholm resigns which completely destroys the timeline of our defense. So we'd just be too good to tank and lost two top line players for a few magic beans

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

I think its obvious why. The Flames ownership meddles in team affairs. They probably like a less experienced GM because its easier for them to get their way.

I mean Sutter got an extension before Treliving did. Would Treliving extend Sutter when he doesnt have security? Unlikely. Ownership extended Sutter. Treliving walked away from the team.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Perhaps I'm the only one that gets slightly aggravated when i hear a player say they'll assess their future with the club based on the how well they do in the upcoming season.
Why? Makes sense from the players POV. No point in playing for a toiling Flames franchise if the money isn't there.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If I were Conroy I'd start blowing it up so that when the new arena is built there will be a lot of excitement from the fan base with a bunch of high end prospects ready to compete.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad