Confirmed with Link: Lindholm + Hanifin to CAL for Hamilton, Fox and Ferland

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Do you agree that Ferland is closer to Lindholm than Hanifin is to Hamilton?

This year? Maybe, though I think Ferland regresses back though still better then replacement level.
Long-term? Absolutely not. Not even close.

I'll put it this way, I honestly think that Brock McGinn is a better player then Ferland, I see Ferland as a HUGE beneficiary of the linemates he had last year. Like Jiri Tlusty on the Staal-Semin line level beneficiary.

Last edited:

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Hamilton will be the 2nd pairing anchor piece that Hanifin and Faulk just couldn’t effectively bring. Slavin-Pesce is money. Put anyone with Hamilton and he will provide a solid two-way game. Big upgrade there.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
ferland played 70% of the time with johnny hockey and his boring companion lol.

if he's put with staal and mcginn and told to play keep away, he won't hit 30. on the flipside, if he does that well, is a nuisance to play against and gets 150+ hits, lindy wouldn't do that. the only benefit to Lindholm is pk offense with staal and (probably) faceoffs.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
never understood the lindholm fascination. he just never lived up to the billing here. doesn't seem to have the intensity to take his game to the next level. for all we've been hearing about how svechnikov is a net driver who relishes crease contact and scores by any means possible, lindholm is the inverse. if we're 400 games deep into a forward's career and still using the term upside, you're probably never going to see it. he may look pretty in the form of the nothing he accomplishes, but pretty nothing is still nothing. if whoever gets his 18 minutes a night can't replicate his 40 points, it was a position we needed to upgrade regardless.
He's still not just a player you throw into a trade like this without thinking long and hard about it.

Marcus Johansson put up similar numbers to Lindholm and had all the same criticisms before finally breaking out his last season in Washington at 26 years old. It's not completely out of the question Lindholm could do the same.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
I’m very confused about any question marks regarding Ferland. 21 goals and across the board is known as a guy with a nonstop motor. Lindholm hit someone once, I think.
I’m salivating at the thought of Ferland and McGinn playing on a line together. Them with staal would be an absolute nightmare to play against.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Hamilton will be the 2nd pairing anchor piece that Hanifin and Faulk just couldn’t effectively bring. Slavin-Pesce is money. Put anyone with Hamilton and he will provide a solid two-way game. Big upgrade there.
We'll see. But it's not like Hamilton anchored a pairing all by himself in Calgary. He played a lot with a fairly good d-man in Mark Giordano.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I’m very confused about any question marks regarding Ferland. 21 goals and across the board is known as a guy with a nonstop motor. Lindholm hit someone once, I think.

I remember that!

Actually, he hit Nate Schmidt so hard one time that it clearly surprised both of them. I thought that could be a lightbulb moment for him, but alas...

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
This year? Maybe, though I think Ferland regresses back though still better then replacement level.
Long-term? Absolutely not. Not even close.

I'll put it this way, I honestly think that Brock McGinn is a better player then Ferland.

Ferland produced well surrounded by good players. Lindholm didn't produce, even when surrounded by good players.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Hamilton himself is just 25y and clear 1st par D-man.

I hope you all are ready for next year, going to be a very different looking team.

+Good to hear goaltending mentioned as a mission.

I understand Hamilton is just 25, or the same age Ruutu was when we traded Ladd for him. Like Ladd, I think Hanifin will develop into a similar tier of player to who we acquired. Less of a trigger man, more of a transition D.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I understand Hamilton is just 25, or the same age Ruutu was when we traded Ladd for him. Like Ladd, I think Hanifin will develop into a similar tier of player to who we acquired. Less of a trigger man, more of a transition D.

But unlike Ruutu, Hamilton is actually a significantly better player than Hanifin right now.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Ferland produced well surrounded by good players. Lindholm didn't produce, even when surrounded by good players.

ferland won't hit the 45 that was a disappointing lindholm's guarentee. but it sounds like he also won't play half the year invisible .

he sounds like a nastier version of char. oh goody.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Ruutu and Hamilton are completely different players and completely different situations.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
And yet Lindholm out-produced him at a younger age by guys that aren't on the same tier as Monahan or Gaudreau
Yeah, am I taking crazy pills? When did Lindholm ever get to play with players like Monahan and Gaudreau? And last year was Ferland's only season even close to what Lindholm has been producing at a younger age. Takes some severe mental gymnastics to come up with Kev's analysis of these two players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad