Confirmed with Link: Lindholm + Hanifin to CAL for Hamilton, Fox and Ferland

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
can't see how anyone could possibly dislike this trade. in an ideal world, noah hanifin becomes dougie hamilton. keep in mind he just turned 25 less than a month ago. still plenty of tread on the tires and he's locked up long term. he can run the powerplay today. received norris votes the year before last. 10+ goals each of the last 4 years. he's a true top pairing guy, not a "could be" like noah. there were just wayyyy too many times where noah looked lost defensively last year for me to have any degree of confidence he's just going to figure it out overnight.

lindholm, despite fan favorite status for some reason, has never overcome the muffin he calls a shot. he's practically replacement level 3rd line center. riley nash had 4.4 point shares last season. lindholm had 3.6 and has never eclipsed 4.1. for a player that was probably asking for $4 million or more, that's just not damn good. ferland had 4.7 point shares last season and was one of the few players in the league to hit 20-20-150+ hits. he's going to change the dynamic of the 3rd line. ferland for lindholm should be a net gain unless last year was a total fluke. that's not even speaking to the benefit of the stylistic change of making us tougher to play against. mcginn and ferland should mesh pretty well and be an absolute nightmare.

adam fox is the true wildcard. if he's able to sign, it would be really interesting. jack drury heading to harvard to play with fox might give us an inside view into his decision making process. as it stands, even without fox, this deal is perfectly fine with me. if we can land fox, this deal becomes heavily skewed in our favor in my opinion. the type of player noah would have to become for this to look bad on us just doesn't seem to be in his reach.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
It's better than Hamilton alone for Hanifin and Lindholm for sure. I like Ferland's type of game but he'll need to be placed with skill players to produce. Fox is a really good prospect but who knows if he'll actually sign, and if he does how he'll play at the NHL level.

Hamilton is a huge improvement to the defense. Hopefully he's here for more than 3 years, and Ferland and Fox work out too.

Hanifin I'm still not sure about his ceiling at this point, and while I love Lindholm's game, I'm not sure he'll ever be much more than a 50-60 point forward even at his ceiling.

Huge gamble by both teams for sure.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Copying (and tweaking) from the draft thread:

I like it. Hamilton is very good, we get tougher with Ferland, don't lose any scoring versus Lindholm's current performance, and Fox is a truly legit prospect- and we've had a very good track record with NCAA D-men (except for that one).

This makes the Canes a better team today. We lose potential to differing degrees with both Lindy and Hanifin, but we get the players who are better now, and I think we're right to not overpay for mere potential with the contract situation, especially with Lindholm. Lindholm is at the point where you really have to be accepting that he's likely going to be what he is now, even though he shows flashes every now and then. Hanifin is hard to give up, but his pretty skating wasn't translating into that many results on either the defensive or offensive side of the puck. Could he or Lindholm have done better outside of Peters's patented system of offensive death? Maybe. But we're getting a player who we know can perform like we hoped Hanifin could, and a winger who can bring the same scoring current Lindholm did, but adds a physical element that Lindy didn't. And then we get a blue chip offensive D prospect to boot, though with the risk that he might not sign.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
I like this trade. Hanifin is riding his draft status and potential, but is barely a top 4 defensive man. I don't think he has the stuff between the ears to become what Hamilton currently is.

Hopefully we can sign Fox, but he seems like one of those guys that is going the college free-agent route.

Last edited:

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Like this a lot. Hamilton is the tier of player that always seem to elude the Canes.

And to get a 20/20 guy, and a nice prospect on top of it...

You really have to be high on Hanifin/Lindholm making some serious jumps in development to justify this from the Calgary perspective.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
We got the best player and a clear upgrade on Faulk in Hamilton. Move Faulk for a F (or G?) And we will see how this looks in total.

But along Dave's line I get a strong Ruutu-Ladd vibe right now. Might be better immediately but be searching for players like hanifin and Lindholm in a few years.

Hamilton himself is just 25y and clear 1st par D-man.

I hope you all are ready for next year, going to be a very different looking team.

+Good to hear goaltending mentioned as a mission.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I... Don't hate it... Feels like an upgrade for both positions as well as adding in a prospect we have time to sign.

If Fox signs this could end up being lopsided in our favor in a short time.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I happy. Shake it up, with obviously more to come. Hamilton is huge, with a great contract. Won't miss Lindholm at all, and don't have a whole lot of faith in Hanifin, either. Tough break for them playing for Peter's again.

Yeah these two moves don’t seem to impact Skinner moving and makes it more likely that Faulk moves. More to come. Big changes and Canes are looking to pay quantity for the best player in deals. Exciting times.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
We got the guy we are all in disagreement on whether Hanifin may someday become. We are giving up young for old but also have the youngest legit D-core in the league.

Ferland for Lindholm is not an even swap, but Ferland is at least a known legit NHLer.

Fox is a wildcard since he may not sign, but he’s legit and Bob says it increases his chance of coming to the league after next year.

We have the forward depth to withstand the loss of Lindholm. Lindholm was asking for more money than he’s proven he’s worth, and while he always seemed like he had another gear he never proved it. The player we are actually trading is not the one we’re wringing our hands over losing; we’re wringing our hands over the one we hope he can become.

Hamilton gives us a true 1st pairing guy and a game changer on PP. Everyone has criticized Francis for years about never “going” for it. This is a trade that “goes” for it, while keeping the majority of our core (Aho, TT, Slavin, Pesce, Svech) intact.

Last edited:

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Ferland is a UFA next year.

Does the acquisition of Hamilton bump Pesce off Slavin’s pairing? Or does Hamilton play with Fleury?

Reactions: Unsustainable

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
See I don't think for a second that Ferland's better then Lindholm, completely the other way around there, he's better then replacement level but Lindholm's a more versatile player right now with much better upside.

This entire trade hinges on Adam Fox.

Today Hamilton's clearly the best player on this trade, this upgrades your defense to elite of elite and puts Faulk on the market for a forward better than Lindholm.

No room for Lindholm in the top6 and too expensive for bottom6.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
never understood the lindholm fascination. he just never lived up to the billing here. doesn't seem to have the intensity to take his game to the next level. for all we've been hearing about how svechnikov is a net driver who relishes crease contact and scores by any means possible, lindholm is the inverse. if we're 400 games deep into a forward's career and still using the term upside, you're probably never going to see it. he may look pretty in the form of the nothing he accomplishes, but pretty nothing is still nothing. if whoever gets his 18 minutes a night can't replicate his 40 points, it was a position we needed to upgrade regardless.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I... Don't hate it... Feels like an upgrade for both positions as well as adding in a prospect we have time to sign.

If Fox signs this could end up being lopsided in our favor in a short time.
Ferland's not an upgrade on Lindholm, not even close. Ferland benefited absolutely massively from playing with Monahan and Gaudreau. Before that he was a 25 and 18 point player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad