Larry Brooks: Lindgren considering leaving U. of Minn to come to NYR

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
And, to be fair, I liked Liffiton as a prospect.

He was a solid prospect who didn't pan out.

The fact is that there are several guys we really like right now who are not going to pan out. Obviously, the hope is that it's minimal, but it's going to happen to some extent.

It's also why you don't get too far down the road and start trading guys before you know what you have, or worry about having too many prospects and not enough spaces yet.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Seems like a classic "modern defensive d-man" in that he isn't an offensive dynamo but he does seem to have good passing skills. Seems really good slinging the puck around from the point - not necessarily insanely creative plays, but solid passes and good poise under pressure.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If all falls into place with Lindgren, he ideally would look like the type of player that would've been right at home on the Avs blueline in the mid-90s.

Those no frills, stay at home, defend the den types - Foote, Lefebvre, Leschyshyn, Regehr (draftee).

This is exactly what the Rangers were hoping to find in McIlrath I am thinking and honestly. Although McIlrath was supposed to be very punishing, Lindgren can throw his body around pretty well

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
This is exactly what the Rangers were hoping to find in McIlrath I am thinking and honestly. Although McIlrath was supposed to be very punishing, Lindgren can throw his body around pretty well
I think the key with Lindgren will be his skating ability. From the few times I've seen him, he seems to be a pretty good skater with great mobility. In today's game that's essential, if not he'll be another Karl Alzner (now)...

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I think the key with Lindgren will be his skating ability. From the few times I've seen him, he seems to be a pretty good skater with great mobility. In today's game that's essential, if not he'll be another Karl Alzner (now)...
Yeah, not sure how it'll translate but he's made some absolutely brutal hits at the college level

Reactions: leetch99

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
There is still a place for defensive D-men that play a physical game... I think no team would mind having one. I'm hoping our D looks something like this in the near future:

Skjei - Bouchard/Dobson (elite offensive D bolstered by a good two-way guy)
Pionk - Hajek (Both good two-way players)
Lindgren - Rykov (Mostly defensive D but can chip in offensively occassionally)

I'm not accounting for which side each D plays... too lazy to do that now since it's just a hypothetical

Reactions: bl02 and leetch99

nrf83

May 6, 2004
golf course
Lindgren made the USA WJC team two years in a row which is a big accomplishment. He was an assistant captain on this year's team. He was also an assistant captain for his Minnesota U. team even though he was only a sophomore this year. All of which tells me he is well regarded by the teams he plays for.....and a leader.

Lindgren doesn't appear to be an offensive D or at least not yet. Brady Skjei's offensive stats were pretty low when he played for Minnesota U. as well. McDonagh's at Wisconsin were not a lot to write home about either. When McDonagh was playing at Wisconsin Brendan Smith was the big deal offensive D whiz. Lindgren like Skjei and McDonagh has been a defense first guy. He is not as big as Skjei or McDonagh but from what I've read it seems he is a more physical player than either of those two.

Lindgren's brother Charles--a goalie in the Montreal system is Brady Skjei's best friend. Hockey can be a small world. So there's an in there too.

there is no such animal; its alternate captain; otherwise fine post

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Excited for this kid.. late in 2017 I saw him skating in a random game that was on at the sports bar and I fell in love with him. He was everywhere. I looked up who had his rights and posted that night that Boston had another stud on the way

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
i would agree with you if the plan was to be super-competitive next year, and im not condoning a full on tank, but is Skjei's best value really with us over the next two years if we're not planning on winning?
Yes. He is going to stabilize a young blueline that, yes, hopefully will be competitive in 2-3 years. The Rangers haven't had much luck on the backend... the last draft pick they developed was Del Zotto. Before that, Staal, who WAS good for four-five years. That was over ten years ago. The development process is long and painstaking, and I doubt they will make any big FA signings on D(meaning like $4M+ AAV) for a few years. It'd probably be smartest to let Skjei turn into the next veteran fixture on D. Having six defenseman with no playoff experience and limited pro experience can't be good. They can afford to be patient... remember six short months ago we were debating who no. 2 RD would be of DeAngelo-Bereglazov-Pionk? None was ready and were they fourth seed right now, evading injuries and Smith's implosion, they might not be on the team now.

I'm hoping Smith washes ashore before next season and they can afford to have those three rotating 3RD while also spelling the older players, filling in for injuries. Gradually they'd bring in more...

Projecting WITH realism...

Skjei-Shattenkirk/DeAngelo
Staal-Pionk
Smith-DeAngelo/Shattenkirk

Gilmour, Bereglazov... or substitute however you want. Lindgren or Day, who has some pro experience now... I suspect Rekov and Hajek play more of a style that can take one or more AHL seasons to really "own."

The reality is that it's going to be a shaky defense. In the first re-build year, it could be until January that it starts to settle, if at all. Smith is going to need to show rock-solid consistency or they'll probably make another Stralman signing, hoping it's 33% the same...

I must say, Grandpapi Pionk (my nickname for him--judge not) mention to him. Looks like a steady and pairing guy that will probably be used as a no 2 or even 1 next year. Smith just needs to play like he did not very long ago and avoid bad penalties. Gilmour can skate and shoot and DeAngelo looks very good with the puck. Haven't watched either specifically enough. FWIW, I remember liking Pedrie in training camp...

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Did he say anything specifically? From all that I’ve heard & read, it’s just he has no ‘flash’, but I think it’s just because he plays a real classic D kind of game, just something the B’s may have had no use for. We could use a guy like that though.. I want to see what he does in the A.

"Stiff" was the main word used.

I hope he's wrong, but I know my guy has had legitimate connections for a long time.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
In some ways, I can see a scenario not all that different from McD with Montreal.

The offense didn't come along as quickly as they'd hoped and there was a sense that McD was a nice, but necessarily dynamic defensive prospect.

Not that I am saying Lindgren's upside is near McD's or that he projects as a first pairing defenseman, but I can see some similarities.

Lindgren reminds me of a poor man's Adam Foote. I think he's a solid prospect to keep an eye on.

I hope you're right, Edge. He could be a nice asset going forward.

Reactions: Rongomania

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I hope you're right, Edge. He could be a nice asset going forward.

Again, I reeeally want to see what he shows in Hartford. @Edge ’s take seems to be a good one. I agree. Solid prospect to keep and eye on and might surprise a lot of people.

@Monument definitely share any other insights from your people on the inside! Would love to hear more stuff! And I know it’s not the right thread, but do your people have any insights on our other prospects as well? Thanks!

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I'm not sure the Rangers are going to give Brendan Smith another shot. I wouldn't be surprised he got bought out if the Rangers aren't able to find a trading partner for him. If he does come back to play for the Rangers however I'd have this bit of advice for him--1) show up to camp ready to go and in great shape 2) stop trying to be the No. 1D that you're not and play to your strengths instead of forcing plays you're not capable of making which means erring on the side of defense instead of offense which should cut down on the penalties he takes. Play defense first and whatever offense happens happens.

Personally I really liked the Smith we got from the Red Wings last year. The Rangers can use his physical presence when he's playing the right way. This year's Smith kind of sucked right from the start and the reasons why he ended up in Hartford are all on him.

I will say with the direction we seem to be taking we have other options than him. As far as playoff experience there is still Shattenkirk, Skjei and Staal if he sticks around. As far as making it to the playoffs next year---it's a possibility but not something to count on when your breaking in a lot of first, second and third year pros.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Is it possible that Skjei is trade bait? There are so many defensemen cycling up soon: Pionk/D'angelo/Day/Rykov/Lindgren/Hajek/Bereglazov/Sjalin/Gilmour plus shattenkirk, staal, etc. I'd hate to sell on him and dont think he's near his potential, but if there's potential replacement in the wings (and maybe after this draft...) skjei could fetch the ultimate price this off-season and maybe answer that question of who fills out our first scoring line for next 5,6, 7 years.
I doubt this unless there is a hockey trade to be made. Not draft picks or futures. Possibly a RHD.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Again, I reeeally want to see what he shows in Hartford. @Edge ’s take seems to be a good one. I agree. Solid prospect to keep and eye on and might surprise a lot of people.

@Monument definitely share any other insights from your people on the inside! Would love to hear more stuff! And I know it’s not the right thread, but do your people have any insights on our other prospects as well? Thanks!

I hope Edge is right. He's one of the most knowledgeable and reasonable posters in the history of these boards and I've been on here for 12 years.

As for the second part, he claims to have gotten word that Darryl Sutter is the next coach of the Rangers and he speaks very strongly about it.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
There is still a place for defensive D-men that play a physical game... I think no team would mind having one. I'm hoping our D looks something like this in the near future:

Skjei - Bouchard/Dobson (elite offensive D bolstered by a good two-way guy)
Pionk - Hajek (Both good two-way players)
Lindgren - Rykov (Mostly defensive D but can chip in offensively occassionally)

I'm not accounting for which side each D plays... too lazy to do that now since it's just a hypothetical

Thats the d of the future right there hopefully. Still giving Day a shot. So pivotal we grab bouchard or Dobson to complete the 6 for the future.

Reactions: belford222

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I hope Edge is right. He's one of the most knowledgeable and reasonable posters in the history of these boards and I've been on here for 12 years.

As for the second part, he claims to have gotten word that Darryl Sutter is the next coach of the Rangers and he speaks very strongly about it.

Right on, I’ve lurked around these parts since ‘08 or so. Always was too superstitious to post during our recent ‘golden era’... and now that it’s over and we’re changing the whole team up, I said “Ah, **** it.” You guys are all solid, knowledgable and are 10x better journalists than all of the tri-state beat writers (goons) lol. I’m just now joining this hilarious, yet infitinely informative party.

Man oh man, I would be so jazzed if Sutter would take the reigns and bring up all of our kids. Only guy besides Q or one of those dynamo junior/college coaches I want near this team. I really hope he comes out of retirement to smack this league with a recharged, young and hungry Rangers team. Pleeeeaasseee

The Mouth

Blueshirt Underground on You Tube
May 20, 2009
www.facebook.com
My prospect guy said this on Lindgren "Solid defensively. Excellent backwards skater. Doesn't have much offense in his game but that's ok. He can move the puck and he's smart. He plays physical and that's needed in the organization. Good hockey I.Q. "

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
My prospect guy said this on Lindgren "Solid defensively. Excellent backwards skater. Doesn't have much offense in his game but that's ok. He can move the puck and he's smart. He plays physical and that's needed in the organization. Good hockey I.Q. "
...whois this guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad