Larry Brooks: Lindgren considering leaving U. of Minn to come to NYR

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Dont burn an elc year on this season, please. Let Lindgren duke it out with Hajek, Smith, Day, amd Bereglazov in camp next season.

Reactions: Rongomania

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Dont burn an elc year on this season, please. Let Lindgren duke it out with Hajek, Smith, Day, amd Bereglazov in camp next season.

yeah if it happens, I'd expect deal begins next year, he signs an AHL ATO to play few w Pack this season

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Very cool. Let him finish up the season with the Pack. Even though I don't think they have that many games left.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
So, unless I'm reading this wrong. As soon as he plays a single game in the NHL, he burns a year of ELC.

From CapFriendly
:

How do Entry-Level Contracts Work?
Players younger than 25 years of age as of September 15 during the year of their first NHL contract must sign an entry-level contract which have set limitations - all entry-level contracts are two-way contracts and the maximum allowable salary for players drafted until 2022 is $925,000.

The length of the entry-level contract is also dependent on the player’s age:
  • 18-21 years of age: 3 years
  • 22-23 years of age: 2 years
  • 24 years of age: 1 year

Entry-level contracts can still include signing and performance bonuses. Signing bonuses may not exceed 10 percent of the contract’s total compensation, and is paid to players annually. Performance bonuses for entry-level contracts, that are paid by the team and count against the salary cap cannot exceed a maximum of $2,850,000. Performance Bonuses are broken into 2 categories: Schedule A and Schedule B. Schedule A Bonuses may not exceed $212,500 per individual bonus, and $850,000 in total. There are two types of Schedule B Bonuses. League-wide award/trophy bonuses that are paid by the league and are not captured within the actual entry-level contract signed by the player, and player & club agreed upon bonuses, of which the maximum is $2million per season.
What is an Entry Level Slide?

If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year. For example, if a player signed an ELC for three seasons from 2015-16 to 2017-2018, and their contract slides, their contract is now effective from 2016-17 to 2018-19. An exception to this rule is that if the player is 19 on September 15 of the first year of their contract, and turns 20 between September 16 and December 31, their contract does not slide.

Players who sign at 18 years old are eligible to have their contracted extended for 2 seasons. This extension does not apply if the player turns 20 between September 16 and December 31 in his signing year. Signing bonuses do not slide, and are paid to the player regardless of a slide, this causes the annual average of the players contract to change, and therefore the cap hit decreases for this player.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Good! Probably better for him to develop in Hartford than on that team.

Wouldn't expect him to play an NHL game this year. Way too raw I'd think.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Good! Probably better for him to develop in Hartford than on that team.

Wouldn't expect him to play an NHL game this year. Way too raw I'd think.
He would have gotten crazy minutes next year, and he would have had a new head coach next year. Brady Skjei left after three years. Ryan McDonagh left after three years. Jake Gardiner left after three years. Most high end defensemen stay three years, except for first round top ten types.

I'm not so sure about this decision, but he has the tools to be an NHLer for a long, long time, and if there's a roster spot for next year...

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
he's getting good advice. the time is now to make an impression. before rykov hajek day get here. show the team what you've got. it sounds very much like hajek is going to be a good nhler that puts him and skjei right there for the foreseeable future. who becomes the third guy in the rotation? rykov day and lindgren are going to have to battle it out and earn it. you'll probably see one or two of the others dealt.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
So, unless I'm reading this wrong. As soon as he plays a single game in the NHL, he burns a year of ELC.

From CapFriendly
:
Yeah. He could sign an ELC starting in 2018-19 and sign a ATO with the Wolfpack for the remainder of the season. I'm not too concerned about burning the year of the ELC, though. I'd very much like to avoid doing the UFA route, and how much could his second contract be anyways?

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
You don't like Skjei?
It started going downhill after they won the championship in 14-15. These last three years have had some solid kids on their teams, but they’ve underachieved while other teams exploded onto the scene. Their recruiting hasn’t been great either

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
You don't like Skjei?
I like Brady. Glad he turned pro before playing a fourth year.

Saying that the program is in decline is not equal to saying they don't produce any players.

I know quite a few Minnesota fans that aren't happy with the state of the program. The fact that 3 Minnesota teams just made the tourney and the Gophers aren't one of them hurts even more.

Oh, and I see Lucia resigned. That's probably for the best, and may also be part of why Lindgren is now going pro.

Reactions: egelband

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
The Minny program has been poor at developing talent for a while. Just because talented players have played there and continue to go there doesn't mean that they develop it well at all. Brady is night and day difference between his years at Minny and when he came to the Rangers organization.

Reactions: bobbop

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
If its less than 10 games its not burning an ELC soooo
No, if he signs an elc and plays this season that ELC runs from 17-18 thru 19-20... Instead, if he signs an ATO and plays on Hartford, the elc starts in 18-19 and runs thru 20-21

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Good, the Minnesota program has been going downhill for some time.
urHjS6e.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad