News Article: Linden: Canucks to look at coaching options at end of season

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/willie-desjardins-vancouver-canucks-job-head-coach-trevor-linden-ryan-miller/

The future of Willie Desjardins as coach of the Vancouver Canucks has been in doubt at various points during a tumultuous season, and that uncertainty will carry into the off-season.

“We’re going to take our time and look at our options at the end of the season,” Canucks president Trevor Linden told a Vancouver sports radio station Tuesday, regarding the head coach (via Pro Hockey Talk). “I’ll have to do a full assessment of our organization, as I always do, and we’ll move forward from that point.”

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

YES!!!! Finally!

giphy.gif

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
"Y'know we looked at a lot of options and ended up deciding that there just aren't any replacements for the Desjardins'es and the Lidsters and the Pearns and the Jarvises's and the Melansons and the Cloutiers and the Malhotras..."

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Stick Trevor behind the bench - go full on tank mode!:laugh:

He'd be a better coach than executive. He'd still suck, but at least he'd have SOME experience since he can dictate what's going on in a game rather than have to do all the business aspects.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
"Y'know we looked at a lot of options and ended up deciding that there just aren't any replacements for the Desjardins'es and the Lidsters and the Pearns and the Jarvises's and the Melansons and the Cloutiers and the Malhotras..."

:laugh:
:cry:
:shakehead
:help:

Labamba

Too Much 4 CDC
Feb 26, 2013
Shuswap
I'll keep Willie for 10 more yrs if it means Trev is canned

I hate how fake and scripted he is. He reminds me a lot of our Prime minister. Just a fake, flake with absolutely nothing tangible or meaningful to say ever. At least Benning is honest and straight forward.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I don't think he's in 'lost-the-room' territory yet but now that Linden has failed to endorse him, he's a lame duck.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I hate how fake and scripted he is. He reminds me a lot of our Prime minister. Just a fake, flake with absolutely nothing tangible or meaningful to say ever. At least Benning is honest and straight forward.

Nah. Trudeau's scripted speeches are good for the reputation of Canada. I rather have Trudeau say scripted inspiring messages than to embarrass the nation by saying the first controversial thought that he thinks of.

I think with Linden, he is just clueless. He has trouble giving meaningful answers because he really doesn't know. But there's also the fact that the majority of hockey players give scripted answers. What did Burrows mean to this team? Ask the players on the Canucks' roster and the majority of them will give a similar answer to Linden. That's what they are used to. Linden is conditioned to use cliches and not say anything bad. Benning is the one running the team and Linden simply hasn't learned or asserted himself. That's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm not sure if I want Linden to become another Neely.

And in terms of the media, Linden is the former darling who the press still loves. Benning is the honest straight shooter. Look at how most of the press treats Benning and Linden vs the way they treated Burke and Gillis. Burke gives the juicy quotes but he will also attack the press. Gillis also says nothing of substance except that they have a process that essentially the press won't understand, but to many of us fans, Gillis comes across as smart. But let's not pretend that the press liked Gillis. The knives were out as soon as the team wasn't doing well under Gillis. If Benning gets fired the press will say that the results simply weren't there. When Gillis got fired it was he deserved to be fired because of his arrogance.

Different strokes for different folks.

Labamba

Too Much 4 CDC
Feb 26, 2013
Shuswap
Nah. Trudeau's scripted speeches are good for the reputation of Canada. I rather have Trudeau say scripted inspiring messages than to embarrass the nation by saying the first controversial thought that he thinks of.

I think with Linden, he is just clueless. He has trouble giving meaningful answers because he really doesn't know. But there's also the fact that the majority of hockey players give scripted answers. What did Burrows mean to this team? Ask the players on the Canucks' roster and the majority of them will give a similar answer to Linden. That's what they are used to. Linden is conditioned to use cliches and not say anything bad. Benning is the one running the team and Linden simply hasn't learned or asserted himself. That's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm not sure if I want Linden to become another Neely.

And in terms of the media, Linden is the former darling who the press still loves. Benning is the honest straight shooter. Look at how most of the press treats Benning and Linden vs the way they treated Burke and Gillis. Burke gives the juicy quotes but he will also attack the press. Gillis also says nothing of substance except that they have a process that essentially the press won't understand, but to many of us fans, Gillis comes across as smart. But let's not pretend that the press liked Gillis. The knives were out as soon as the team wasn't doing well under Gillis. If Benning gets fired the press will say that the results simply weren't there. When Gillis got fired it was he deserved to be fired because of his arrogance.

Different strokes for different folks.

I believe James Duthie once made an epic joke regarding Gillis' gaurded stance on media queries that when something like..

I asked Mike Gillis how his day was and he relied with "No comment"

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
What exactly do you guys expect Linden to say for public consumption with 15 games left in the season?

" yes I'm thinking of firing this coach and replacing him with someone else"

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007

Doesn't mean much. Used to be MG's standard statement at the end of every season, pretty much. Linden's speech is also often ill thought out and poor.

I want WD canned as well, but I also recognize that it could be worse. The NHL is lousy with conservative coaches who take all fun out of the game and love their grinders. At least WD had no qualms about throwing in Hutton and Stecher.

I remember how many people were thrilled when MG was fired. Careful what you wish for.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Marc Crawford

Linden do a full assessment.....

Woop de ****ing do....

I see where you're coming from, but I also believe that if WD's job was secure, Linden would come out and flat out say as such.

Given Linden's comments, I think WD is gone at the end of the season.

Although I was very frustrated with WD at times, I respected his philosophy of getting the kids to earn their ice.

If WD is gone at season's end, I'd like to see us bring back Marc Crawford. The Bertuzzi-Moore ugliness is long gone, and Crawford understands the Sedins'. If anyone can possibly help get the twins going again for one last time, it might be The Crow.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I see where you're coming from, but I also believe that if WD's job was secure, Linden would come out and flat out say as such.

Given Linden's comments, I think WD is gone at the end of the season.

Although I was very frustrated with WD at times, I respected his philosophy of getting the kids to earn their ice.

If WD is gone at season's end, I'd like to see us bring back Marc Crawford. The Bertuzzi-Moore ugliness is long gone, and Crawford understands the Sedins'. If anyone can possibly help get the twins going again for one last time, it might be The Crow.

In terms of where I'm coming from, I'm coming from the belief of Trevor Linden's ability to assess anything hockey management related being close to non-existent and there being no underlying intelligence to compensate.

Watters is completely on point in saying:

As far as <Pratt: Look Billy> job security he's got as much as Willie Desjardins, in fact I think Willie Desjardins has more.

Objectively speaking....no ****. WD has been coaching since 1985.

In what alternate dimension is Trevor qualified to be able to assess WD? Hell, how is ANYONE in this clown show of an organization qualified to assess WD? :shakehead

Seriously, its this kinda BS that depresses the hell out of me. You got a Canuck superfan hiring the extremely unqualified and tasking him with assessing the moderately unqualified. :shakehead

Being a Canuck fan sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Objectively speaking....no ****. WD has been coaching since 1985.

Objectively speaking, I don't think you understand what job security means. Willie being able to find another coaching job somewhere has no relevance to the level of job security he has now with the Vancouver Canucks.

In what alternate dimension is Trevor qualified to be able to assess WD? Hell, how is ANYONE in this clown show of an organization qualified to assess WD? :shakehead

How about 1382 career NHL games? How about a long hockey playing career that included playing under some great coaches along the way? How about being Willie's boss the past 3 seasons and having access to Willie's practices, teaching methods, rationale and philosophy, player interviews etc.? In your mind does someone need to be an NHL head coach to be qualified to assess Willie or merely only some select posters here?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Linden has stood behind WD no matter what until this.

Yeah, he's been more vocal than even Jimbo about WD. Looks like those pre-tdl meeting with the team's front office and scouting department really did some good.

Or

Benning/Linden are beginning to feel the heat after this trainwreck season and are planning to use the TDL moves + firing of WD to buy themselves more time with ownership/fans/media.

Probably a bit of both, more so the latter.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Yeah, he's been more vocal than even Jimbo about WD. Looks like those pre-tdl meeting with the team's front office and scouting department really did some good.

Or

Benning/Linden are beginning to feel the heat after this trainwreck season and are planning to use the TDL moves + firing of WD to buy themselves more time with ownership/fans/media.

Probably a bit of both, more so the latter.

Traditionally coaches don't go into the last year of their contract. So WD grets fired or gets an extension is a likely result. There's also the Virtanen incident where he was recalled only to sit. That's probably not something management liked and a concern going forward if the Canucks are going in another direction.

Labamba

Too Much 4 CDC
Feb 26, 2013
Shuswap
Traditionally coaches don't go into the last year of their contract. So WD grets fired or gets an extension is a likely result. There's also the Virtanen incident where he was recalled only to sit. That's probably not something management liked and a concern going forward if the Canucks are going in another direction.

Prediction: WD is fired, Dallas hires him as an assistant. Lindy gets canned around Christmas. WD takes over, the team turns around and plays Columbus for the Stanley cup. We get swept by Dallas in the 1st round with Gallant behind the bench. The year end pres conference will go something like. "Our young players learned a lot in those 4 playoff games" "You won't find a player like Evander Kane in the 1st round of this years draft anyhow." The 2nd for Dave Bolland was well worth the veteran leadership he provided for Bo Horvat during those 4 playoff games". "The future looks bright". "Ryan Miller still has 3 years left at bargain 7m and the Sedins new extension will take them into their 40's."
Mission accomplished.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad