News Article: Linden: Canucks to look at coaching options at end of season

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Objectively speaking, I don't think you understand what job security means. Willie being able to find another coaching job somewhere has no relevance to the level of job security he has now with the Vancouver Canucks.

How about 1382 career NHL games? How about a long hockey playing career that included playing under some great coaches along the way? How about being Willie's boss the past 3 seasons and having access to Willie's practices, teaching methods, rationale and philosophy, player interviews etc.? In your mind does someone need to be an NHL head coach to be qualified to assess Willie or merely only some select posters here?

Longevity and hockey skill don't necessarily translate into coaching ability. Crawford was a heart and soul player who gave it his all as a player. Which in his day was rare for Canucks. There is nothing to suggest that Linden would be an effective coach.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Longevity and hockey skill don't necessarily translate into coaching ability. Crawford was a heart and soul player who gave it his all as a player. Which in his day was rare for Canucks. There is nothing to suggest that Linden would be an effective coach.

PR guys and the best coaches have opposing skill sets. Players see right through spin. I doubt Linden would be a good coach.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Buh bye Willie, don't let the door slam that ****ing mustache off your smuggy face on your way out.

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006
He's a great guy that got to realize a lifelong dream of coaching in the NHL. Congratulations. Now, kindly, get the hell away from this team.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks coaching is faced with Sedins every night. Find another coach to accept that. I bet he won't speak English.

Yep...I'm scratching my head over this one as well.....the Sedins speak English better than many posters on these boards....is he thinking the Canucks might appoint some Swedish coach?:shakehead

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Traditionally coaches don't go into the last year of their contract. So WD grets fired or gets an extension is a likely result. There's also the Virtanen incident where he was recalled only to sit. That's probably not something management liked and a concern going forward if the Canucks are going in another direction.

It's not really firing him if his contract expires. Willie is going to be a free agent, so never mind the team's decision he can take offers and choose to coach somewhere else.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think the owners are likely to have a big say on who coaches this team after this season.....Linden and Benning will want to cover their butts by hiring some "name" coach.....but the Aquilinis' might be gun-shy after the four-year deal for Torts blew up in their faces.

If ownership is thinking that big changes in the hockey ops department might occur after next season anyway, then they're going to want to hire the cheapest coach possible and offer as little term as possible.

That might make Travis Green more attractive as a short-term option.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
It's not really firing him if his contract expires. Willie is going to be a free agent, so never mind the team's decision he can take offers and choose to coach somewhere else.
i do not believe anything llinden say,s.Linden talks in riddles.knowing the Canucks brass they have a contract ready for the worst coach ever this franchise has had.This crap will not be fixed until all are gone.It blows my mind that 5 coach,s have been fired before Willie.All of them better imo.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Can't wait for 2-3 years to pass when I'll once again be informed about how lousy the new coach is, maybe in context of a tank stall (and without trace of irony), the questionable deployment, the ice time distribution, and the favoritism toward some undeserving player.

Note: when Trev says we have an "intelligent fanbase" he's fibbing more than usual. The speck of knowledge there is does more harm than good and is why we can't have nice things.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Yep...I'm scratching my head over this one as well.....the Sedins speak English better than many posters on these boards....is he thinking the Canucks might appoint some Swedish coach?:shakehead

Haha I'm fairly sure he believes the Canucks are the de facto managers of this team. They dictate ice time, playing roles, etc etc... he also believes that this is known, league-wide, and such knowledge makes it difficult to find someone willing to work with such domineering personalities.

Mal Reynolds

Sep 28, 2008
Can't wait for 2-3 years to pass when I'll once again be informed about how lousy the new coach is, maybe in context of a tank stall (and without trace of irony), the questionable deployment, the ice time distribution, and the favoritism toward some undeserving player.

Note: when Trev says we have an "intelligent fanbase" he's fibbing more than usual. The speck of knowledge there is does more harm than good and is why we can't have nice things.

For my part, I'm negative about management/coaching because, y'know, we're not very good... I don't enjoy it, or get some kind of deranged satisfaction from some sort of twisted schadenfreude...

I sincerely hope there *is* change, and soon, because it was a lot more fun being a fan (and around here) when things weren't so bloody awful... and so long as they're committed to the process of building this team back up in a way that makes sense, I'll support em... even if I still do have some criticisms

But hey, suit yourself if you wanna keep makin' the occasional snipe... given your rosier outlook, I get it, I really do... probably feel like you're on an island surrounded by ravenous sharks

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
i do not believe anything llinden say,s.Linden talks in riddles.knowing the Canucks brass they have a contract ready for the worst coach ever this franchise has had.This crap will not be fixed until all are gone.It blows my mind that 5 coach,s have been fired before Willie.All of them better imo.

It's super hard to read your terribly written posts always; but I agree with what I think you typed.? :) Are you posting from a european ten year old cell phone?
I hear ya though bud.

Yep. Most agree a quality housecleaning is in order..

Let's see how hard Trev tries to keep his job, and try and regain his rep. ;)

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Huh? You might want to go back and read what I was replying to and what you're replying to if you think I'm talking about Linden's ability to be a coach.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Willie has another year left on his contract.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
For my part, I'm negative about management/coaching because, y'know, we're not very good... I don't enjoy it, or get some kind of deranged satisfaction from some sort of twisted schadenfreude...

I sincerely hope there *is* change, and soon, because it was a lot more fun being a fan (and around here) when things weren't so bloody awful... and so long as they're committed to the process of building this team back up in a way that makes sense, I'll support em... even if I still do have some criticisms

But hey, suit yourself if you wanna keep makin' the occasional snipe... given your rosier outlook, I get it, I really do... probably feel like you're on an island surrounded by ravenous sharks

I'm not alone on this. Here and there, including the odd post game caller, good points get made. Once again these are:

1.) Current record =/= current regime's competence. For that blame 7 year drafting ineptitude and aging core. Loosing was inevitable no matter the regime! We are where most expected us to be. Club pretense at playoffs was just that (mostly due to twins decline).

2.) Too early to make conclusions about drafting or trades.

3.) Willie isn't remotely close to loosing the room (See Tort's 2nd half)

4.) Prospects are being developed and assuming the roles of vets.

5.) Dude has one year on his contract. What more will a new coach accomplish in that one year? (Even 5 extra wins will be viewed as a greater tank fail by the majority here).

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
1.) Current record =/= current regime's competence. For that blame 7 year drafting ineptitude and aging core. Loosing was inevitable no matter the regime! We are where most expected us to be. Club pretense at playoffs was just that (mostly due to twins decline).
Laffs made no secret of tanking last season - It wouldn't required SUPREME ineptness not to finish higher than them last season. That leaves the Oilers. Whoop-dee-doo....the Canucks managed to finish higher than these two turds last year while spending close to the cap limit (granted, ain't my money but at least with a team like the Yotes - they have a special barrier to fight against - a lower budget).

He lost the room last season - to his credit, it wasn't repeated this season.

Last season was a disaster all round (including the trade deadline).

This season? Much better (but it could've hardly been worse....)

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I'm not alone on this. Here and there, including the odd post game caller, good points get made. Once again these are:

5.) Dude has one year on his contract. What more will a new coach accomplish in that one year? (Even 5 extra wins will be viewed as a greater tank fail by the majority here).

Oh no you di'n't

1. Kesler handcuffed Jimbo
  2. Matthias's goals were scored against weak teams
  3. Kassian had to hit rock bottom
  4. Bonino was too slow
  5. Burr was gettng too old
  6. Lack was overrated
  7. Gilly left Jimbo with nothing
  8. Rebuilding teams don't need cap space
  9. Management experience is overrated
  10. Advanced analytics are for nerds

And we have a new entry *drum roll*

It's all the Sedins fault!!

Hank really should have signed better players this off season. Hank's really slippin these days.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

1) Breaking news: fans CAN tolerate losing. What cannot be tolerated is losing while preaching for playoff bubble and **** away assets like crazy.

2) Tkachuk is on pace for...what, 52 points? Nylander also around that pace. Ehlers on pace for 60+. I'm keeping an optimistic view on JV and OJ but as of this moment these three alt. draft prospects are doing 10x more than JV and OJ combined.

3) Ah and here we have the WD is respected and players play hard for him card. I've already said this, making players respect you and playing hard are about as ****ing basic as you can get as a coach. Sorta like a man breathing and eating. Funny how these so very basic traits to be a coach is brought up again and again and again as positives in an attempt to cover up WD's monumental failures.

4) WD riding the twins and Sutter and LE for 20+ min seems to be a norm, Horvat is the only one getting enough ice minutes and that's after three years of amazing progress despite WD's every attempt to make him into a checking center. WD's treatment for Goldobin is hilarious to say the least. This is not prospect development.

5) What more can a new coach do in a year? A good coach will go steps further to develop young players, phase our vets, and encourage kids to learn from mistakes and prosper, instead of coating the bench with a layer of krazyglue.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He lost the room last season - to his credit, it wasn't repeated this season.

You mean when the Sedins singled out what most perceived as the young guys when the team was out of playoff contention? That's not call losing the room.

Mal Reynolds

Sep 28, 2008
I'll try to keep my ramblings rather brief, as I doubt any of this is overly new to you. Simply will reply to your points and clarify my position... :)

This one I heartily agree with... it's pretty unforgiveable that in all this time we've had the Sedin core, we haven't successfully implemented any kind of succession plan to alleviate the pressure/expectations of them in the twilight of their careers. I liked Gillis, and support him to this day, but this was a huge egg on his face and there's really no way around that

I would add this, however - that our situation has been made worse by current management. Rather than patiently building, accumulating picks, etc etc, they attempted to take shortcuts by cutting deals. Some have been somewhat successful (i.e. Baertschi), others are too early to tell (i.e. RealGud) and still others have outright bombed (i.e. Loui Eriksson)...

Of course, none of this is quite so cut and dry as simply assessing the move itself. For example, in and of itself, getting a top six forward like Loui for nothing but cash & capspace isn't a *bad* move; but for a rebuilding club that somehow doesn't have much capspace, it's putrid. We could have had flexibility to take on short-term cap dumps... or just flexibility in general

Sure, there's some truth to this but we can still formulate reasoned, informed opinions about the moves, and form a basis for a conclusion. Otherwise, all this discussion is just... noise... until we have full hindsight.

There's certainly guys - like Juolevi - who I'm willing to give some more time before I write em off or anything like that.

OK... I'm not sitting in "the room" or connected to the team so I really couldn't say either way. Considering some players don't even like playing for a highly regarded and respected coach like Babcock, it's probably safe to speculate not everyone loves Willie or what he's doing... but I digress, that's guesswork on my part.

At the end of the day, Willie deserves some credit for getting as much out of this roster as can be expected... but I still maintain a lot of his decisions and player deployment can be real head scratchers.

Again, some truth to this but riddle me this - has it all been because of development and hard work, or have certain players been "gifted" spots?

I'm thinking of golden boy Virtanen skating in the NHL last year. To his credit, he got better for a while, but for the most part, he didn't deserve to be there (and he certainly didn't at the beginning of the year).

I was at the game the other night and they were pushing Granlund pretty hard as one of our "young guns" (i.e. highlight packages and the like)... I'm pretty tired of the obnoxious back-and-forth debate on this player, but it seems to me that this again is an instance of the team's necessity for youth causing a player to get more attention than he's really worth.

Point being that I feel sometimes these guys are pushed into certain roles before they've earned them. This is done, imo, simply in order to support this "We knew we needed to get younger and we have" narrative of management... nevermind the fact that this youth isn't necessarily always of the highest caliber and/or quality

Again, there's some truth to this point but I think you have a bit of a skewed outlook. Indeed, some want us to tank (and hard) and seemingly will be satisfied with nothing less than an 0-82 season & the best odds possible, but a lot of the concerns with Willie pertain to his player development/deployment... i.e. more or less benching Goldobin (I've taken to affectionately calling him Goldblum) in favor of Cramorossa earlier this past week... pretty hard to argue Willie doesn't seem to favor guys who skate miles & "play hard", albeit don't necessarily actually do much

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad