Liiga 2016-2017 (rosters, rumours, transactions)

m4tt145

Jun 7, 2013
Tommi Paakkolanvaara -> Leksand (Hockeyallsvenskan)

Surprised he signed in the Swedish 2nd leauge. Any comments on him?

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
At least Sport would have someone to laugh at next season:P How do you see this 'expansion' with KooKoo?
All comes down to goaltending, Toivonen stood on his head and kept Sport in a lot of games where they had no business being in. This upcoming season; Järvinen is more of a question mark and Niemi seems to be there just to warm the bench, though overall the team is better.

Compared to KooKoo; Järvenpää is a career Liiga backup and Cloutier hasn't played in a comparable league (AHL) since 05-06. D-core as has been pointed out already, is scary bad. Forwards are mostly the same from last season, which isn't enough to be competitive in Liiga.

I'd say KooKoo is in for a worse season than Sport had, quite a lot worse actually.

Arlus

Apr 3, 2014
Europe
All comes down to goaltending,
Compared to KooKoo; Järvenpää is a career Liiga backup and Cloutier hasn't played in a comparable league (AHL) since 05-06. D-core as has been pointed out already, is scary bad. Forwards are mostly the same from last season, which isn't enough to be competitive in Liiga.

I'd say KooKoo is in for a worse season than Sport had, quite a lot worse actually.

You pointed out very well their weakness. Maybe they will do some business till the season will start, as I believe the same, with the current roster they will be worse than Sport.
While I like the idea of having Liiga in more cities, I don't think that this should be done just for the sake of it, in the detriment of competitiveness.

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
Tommi Paakkolanvaara -> Leksand (Hockeyallsvenskan)

Surprised he signed in the Swedish 2nd leauge. Any comments on him?

Comes a bit late, but Paakkolanvaara is a reliable two way center who can produce some points but is better defensively. Relies on his positioning not an agressive or physical player at all. At Liiga level he was someone you would love to have as your third line center but hate to have as your second line center. Will probably get paid more in Leksand than any team would want to pay in Finland. And it appears he wants to see "the world" a bit, first Switzerland now Sweden.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
You pointed out very well their weakness. Maybe they will do some business till the season will start, as I believe the same, with the current roster they will be worse than Sport.
While I like the idea of having Liiga in more cities, I don't think that this should be done just for the sake of it, in the detriment of competitiveness.
Well, it's kind of like when the NHL has expanded. The new teams have spare parts from other teams and it takes a couple of years to get competitive.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
I don't think one should expect too much from the new teams right off the bat, but they will become more competitive over time. Remember that back in '05 when KalPa returned to the league they won 11 out of 56 games, and only 6 of those in regulation. Since then they've steadily become a competitive franchise, and I don't think anyone feels that they don't deserve to be back. It's a process that takes time, but it'll pay off if you stick with it.

Purple hippo

Jan 3, 2010
Louvain-la-Neuve
Is there a cut off point for the Liiga in the number of clubs they will accept from Mestis? I know not every club from that league who becomes Champion will want to move up or can move up for whatever reasons but does Liiga have a point where they say "the league is full, from now on you must wait for a club to drop out?"

Also, now that Jukurit is Champions, have they said anything about applying to join in 16/17?

(If I have the whole promotion wrong, somebody please correct me but the way it was explained to me was the Mestis Champion has to apply for a Liiga spot and then has to wait another season to move up)

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
Auston Matthews will not play in Finnish Elite League next season.
His agent told Matthews options are Zurich Lions NLA Switzerland or Everett Silvertips WHL.

Dammit, i really wanted to see this guy in IFK Helsinki.
http://www.suomikiekko.com/2015/06/suomeen-huhutun-superlupauksen-tulevaisuudesta-lisatietoja/

It was pretty obvious from the start that HIFK wasn't a legitimate option. SHL and CHL offer better development records, NLA and SHL offer more money. Liiga really doesn't have anything unique to offer. HIFK center group is pretty stacked already with Ramstedt, Elkins, Nykopp, Leino/Hintz and Ã…sten as well, so role would be a question mark. Unfortunately it wasn't a very attractive package all things considered, however once the retooling of the junior system starts to bear fruit the team should have more to offer in this kind of situation.

I definitely would like to see another Goldobin-style project next season, though. I see room for a playmaking LW on the would-be second line with Elkins and Puustinen, but I'm guessing Törmänen, Nybondas, and co. see one of Luttinen, Ikonen, Leino, Hintz and Partanen being capable of filling that role(which is a very reasonable way to see it, admittedly). Team looks pretty much set in any case, all roles are more or less filled with plenty of depth, and I figure the budget is pretty much all accounted for at this point.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
It was pretty obvious from the start that HIFK wasn't a legitimate option. SHL and CHL offer better development records, NLA and SHL offer more money. Liiga really doesn't have anything unique to offer. HIFK center group is pretty stacked already with Ramstedt, Elkins, Nykopp, Leino/Hintz and Ã…sten as well, so role would be a question mark. Unfortunately it wasn't a very attractive package all things considered, however once the retooling of the junior system starts to bear fruit the team should have more to offer in this kind of situation.

I definitely would like to see another Goldobin-style project next season, though. I see room for a playmaking LW on the would-be second line with Elkins and Puustinen, but I'm guessing Törmänen, Nybondas, and co. see one of Luttinen, Ikonen, Leino, Hintz and Partanen being capable of filling that role(which is a very reasonable way to see it, admittedly). Team looks pretty much set in any case, all roles are more or less filled with plenty of depth, and I figure the budget is pretty much all accounted for at this point.

That's true.
HIFK center group looks really good.

Are you sure that IFK's player budget is accounted?
Finnish hockey site jatkoaika.com headed rumour that tell's Veli Matti Savinainen negotiates with IFK Helsinki
Savinainen isn't signed contract with IFK yet, but let's wait what will happen.

Ville Peltonen signing to retooling IFK juniors was excellent and smart move for Tom Nybondas.
I'm not huge fan of mr Nybondas but this case i'll give a lot credit for him.

Last edited:

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
That's true.
HIFK center group looks really good.

Are you sure that IFK's player budget is accounted?
Finnish hockey site jatkoaika.com headed rumour that tell's Veli Matti Savinainen negotiates with IFK Helsinki
Savinainen isn't signed contract with IFK yet, but let's wait what will happen.

Ville Peltonen signing to retooling IFK juniors was excellent and smart move for Tom Nybondas.
I'm not huge fan of mr Nybondas but this case i'll give a lot credit for him.

I think we're at least very close to last season's budget, and the trend around the league seems to be towards lowering expenses rather than increasing. I base my evaluation on the following assumptions:
  • Zaborsky's and Puustinen's new contracts are most likely more expensive than previous ones. This increase probably offsets Kuparinen's departure.
  • Järvinen and Taimi cost about the same as Söderholm, Pikkarainen and Honkaheimo, maybe more when accounting for the buyout of Taimi's contract with Ässät.
  • Hintz costs about the same as Goldobin.
  • Ã…sten and Partanen also got new contracts I believe, and at least Ã…sten likely has increased salary.
So the player budget at the moment ought to be about what it was at the start of last season, give or take 100~200k. The team is economically very secure though, so they can throw some extra cash in there if they see a worthwhile investment at any time. Savinainen could be one such investment, though I don't think he's the right type of player for the team. 2nd line LW is the least secure spot, and the way I see it that spot should be filled by a possession-oriented player. We have plenty of what Savinainen has to offer in the team already(Puustinen, Luttinen, Ikonen).

And yes, I'm also very excited for the junior changes. Peltonen, Lydman and Kuhta are all working there, and they also recently signed Tommi Hämäläinen who had been working in the Skellefteå organization as a junior coach. They also hinted that they would be moving towards a more individual-oriented model, rather than focusing on playing "winning hockey" from the moment they first put on their skates. Very promising changes. Nybondas has made a lot of mistakes in his time, but lately he's been doing a great job building a future and identity for the club.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I think we're at least very close to last season's budget, and the trend around the league seems to be towards lowering expenses rather than increasing. I base my evaluation on the following assumptions:
  • Zaborsky's and Puustinen's new contracts are most likely more expensive than previous ones. This increase probably offsets Kuparinen's departure.
  • Järvinen and Taimi cost about the same as Söderholm, Pikkarainen and Honkaheimo, maybe more when accounting for the buyout of Taimi's contract with Ässät.
  • Hintz costs about the same as Goldobin.
  • Ã…sten and Partanen also got new contracts I believe, and at least Ã…sten likely has increased salary.
So the player budget at the moment ought to be about what it was at the start of last season, give or take 100~200k. The team is economically very secure though, so they can throw some extra cash in there if they see a worthwhile investment at any time. Savinainen could be one such investment, though I don't think he's the right type of player for the team. 2nd line LW is the least secure spot, and the way I see it that spot should be filled by a possession-oriented player. We have plenty of what Savinainen has to offer in the team already(Puustinen, Luttinen, Ikonen).

And yes, I'm also very excited for the junior changes. Peltonen, Lydman and Kuhta are all working there, and they also recently signed Tommi Hämäläinen who had been working in the Skellefteå organization as a junior coach. They also hinted that they would be moving towards a more individual-oriented model, rather than focusing on playing "winning hockey" from the moment they first put on their skates. Very promising changes. Nybondas has made a lot of mistakes in his time, but lately he's been doing a great job building a future and identity for the club.

That's true.
Nybondas has made bad mistakes in his time, but now seems that he really tries to do his job better. Those changes for IFK juniors are really good.

Peltonen,Kuhta and Lydman aren't only former IFK players who been working IFK juniors. Former IFK 3rd line center Joni Työkkälä is retired his player career and also he is working now in IFK juniors Töykkälä has singed assistant coach to IFK U16 ( C junior) team.

Last season almost 20 IFK juniors got invited Finland's national junior teams all age groups this is good signal to IFK.

Of course we'll see the results in 3-5 years but start is very promising.
I wanna believe that someday IFK is same level with Oulun Kärpät for junior work.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Artur Gavrus -> Sport

Weird. Thought he would get NHL deal from Devils. Looked fantastic at World Championship's.

Hänen perässään oli myös KHL-joukkueita paljon rahakkaammilla tarjouksilla, mutta pelaaja, hänen agenttinsa Igor Larionov ja NHL-joukkue katsoivat, että Sport on paras vaihtoehto tässä vaiheessa uraa.

KHL teams were also after him with better offers (financially); but the player, his agent Igor Larionov and the NHL team saw that Sport is the better fit at this point of his career.
The same article also says that Sport is still looking for a d-man and Mike Brennan is one of the options. I wouldn't mind him back, he was alright when he focused on playing instead of looking to drop the gloves at every point.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Jukka Voutilainen has exercised the "foreign out-clause" in his contract and will be moving to Central Europe for next season, as per SS. Says in the article that he's consulted Ilpo Kauhanen about his new club and Kauhanen played in DEL around ten years ago for various teams, including (teams that are still playing in DEL today) ERC Ingolstadt, Hannover Scorpions and Adler Mannheim.

Jukka Voutilainen, KalPa > Germany.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Jukka Voutilainen has exercised the "foreign out-clause" in his contract and will be moving to Central Europe for next season, as per SS. Says in the article that he's consulted Ilpo Kauhanen about his new club and Kauhanen played in DEL around ten years ago for various teams, including (teams that are still playing in DEL today) ERC Ingolstadt, Hannover Scorpions and Adler Mannheim.

Jukka Voutilainen, KalPa > Germany.
As expected, per the team's site.

Jukka Voutilainen, KalPa > Schwenninger Wild Wings (DEL).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad