Rumor: Lightning trying to use draft picks to move bad contracts

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
They already don't have a 2021 1st, 2021 2nd or 2022 2nd.
Basically they will have to trade their 2022 1st or even dip into their 2023 picks to make it happen...

Also almost all of their guys will have some sort of trade protection lists they can submit to block atleast 10+ teams (are there even more than 10 teams entertaining taking on salary dumps?)
I doubt anyone will voluntarily want to leave the 2 time Stanley Cup winner with no state tax in Florida.

Lets see if BriseBois finds a way to cheat himself out of making some very tough decisions again or if it is time to pay up.
I would burn those picks to the ground as long as I keep winning cups. They will fall hard when it all comes to an end but who cares at that point.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
He's also not getting the ice-time, deployment, or linemates that he once had.

I definitely don't think he is anywhere close to his peak—but he could be a smart bet on a team that has a top-six role open for him.

A smart bet if he's coming with two first round picks or a pick and their best prospect.

For $5m you can get Danault; heck Taylor Hall might only go for $5.5m.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
A smart bet if he's coming with two first round picks or a pick and their best prospect.

Oh totally I will agree with you on that. He's a smart bet if you can get him and another premier future asset. I just don't think he as a player is a write-off the same way that let's say Loui Eriksson is.

The value that will be extracted for TyJo is not because of his status as a player, it's because of Tampa's terrible cap situation. Teams will demand a lot because of that leverage.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey

R.100f9bca0bbbe75b6fd5b3cce5668e5b

Reactions: HabsQC

theimmortal1

Sep 26, 2020

Danault isn’t much better than Johnson. Tbh I’d rather have Johnson on my 2nd line than Danault

theimmortal1

Sep 26, 2020
You don't think the GM's are more concerned about making their own teams better than screwing Tampa up?

Thats what is weird. Fans seem to think GMs will pass up a good deal for their team in order to inflict max damage on the Bolts. If so those GMs should be fired.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
When I look at Tampa on Cap Friendly they have 7 forwards with a modified or full no move. Do they have to protect all players with a modified also? If so they can’t protect Brayden Point :huh:

Yeah you can thank Yzerman for that. Often overlooked by neutral fans, on how terrible he was at resigning's.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Tampa Bay doesn't really have bad contracts. Gourde & Johnson are both a little overpaid, but not by a lot.

Teams just don't want to help Tampa without a significant asset attached.

Seattle takes Gourde and calls it a day. Contract is fine IMO.

Can't see TJ being of interest to them.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad