GDT: Lightning at Panthers 11/16/15: Return of the Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Bolland's contract is an non-issue until we are in cap trouble.

He is also a useful player and a vet with a stanley cup experience. Only question really worth asking is are we better without him and the answer is no.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Just pointing out for his sharp faceoff dip is all.

Don't like the guy's contract for sure and seeing Trochek more and more makes me think he would be better than Bolland for sure..

But what about the locker room presence? what about the unsaid, unheard things that happen on the ice, between the breaks and off the ice? The plays he makes on the ice that no one congratulates him for? Who does Trochek look up to when he comes into the locker room? Who does he speak to center to center? |

His contract is horrible.. i'll agree with that.. but again.. who was available at the time with his type of credentials?

Just different angles to look at.. again not on the bolland hate train nor on the bolland fan club.. I will support him because he is a panther..

All excellent points.

Right now with Bollands game struggling i dont think hes helping trocheck much at all. He is one of those famous #character players, but we have excellent presence of others, such as jagr, mckenzie mitchell etc.

Tranq

Dec 13, 2008
Bolland is a good player. He makes smart decisions. But he doesn't score goals or get that many points. Thats the only issue.

EstConf96*

Bolland is a good player. He makes smart decisions. But he doesn't score goals or get that many points. Thats the only issue.

I like Bolland two great depth player something we have lacked since forever.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Bolland's contract is an non-issue until we are in cap trouble.
Indeed, the last year (2018-19) might become a problem if Lu has regressed and we need to sign a 1B for 3-4M, otherwise it's a non issue.

Then again, I don't agree with the lot that say he's untradeable, retain around 2-2.5M of that and I bet there's lots of teams that would take him for around 3M.

All excellent points.

Right now with Bollands game struggling i dont think hes helping trocheck much at all. He is one of those famous #character players, but we have excellent presence of others, such as jagr, mckenzie mitchell etc.
Struggling? One game of poor faceoff % show he's struggling? :huh:

Couldn't disagree more, Bolland was one of our more consistent players during the time Barkov was out. Btw he's still not relied on to bring offense and putting those expectations on him is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Struggling? One game of poor faceoff % show he's struggling? :huh:

Couldn't disagree more, Bolland was one of our more consistent players during the time Barkov was out.

-Bolland last 5 games FO%-Tam-27.27,Tam-35.71,Buf-50.00,CGY-14.29 and ANA- 41.18.He has 1g-4ast almost at the 20game pole.

If you like that consistency, good on you. I dont.

You have great conclusions about Bolland, but you lack the factual basis for those conclusions.

Im open to see more data.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
-Bolland last 5 games FO%-Tam-27.27,Tam-35.71,Buf-50.00,CGY-14.29 and ANA- 41.18.He has 1g-4ast almost at the 20game pole.

You have great conclusions about Bolland, but you lack the factual basis for those conclusions.

"Consistency" what I'm referring to, is obviously their all-around play. Expecting a massive amount of points from a defence first minded forward, is like expecting Mitchell to put a career year.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
"Consistency" what I'm referring to, is obviously their all-around play. Expecting a massive amount of points from a defence first minded forward, is like expecting Mitchell to put a career year.

Show me where i said "massive amount of points"

I expect a 3rd line center to have 12-15 goals, 30-35 points, and win 50% of face offs.

Is that massive?

Do you have a reasonable expectation he will come close to that or will he miss for the 4th consecutive year?

EstConf96*

Since the Bolland talk can go on forever it seems.. How about this question: Did we win the Smith for Hayes trade? Thoughts?

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Show me where i said "massive amount of points"
You're always mocking Bolland's point totals, so..

I expect a 3rd line center to have 12-15 goals, 30-35 points, and win 50% of face offs.

Is that massive?

Do you have a reasonable expectation he will come close to that or will he miss for the 4th consecutive year?
For comparison's sake, Bolland didn't have that good of a start (points wise) last year either, and his PPG still finished around his career average. Now, are you saying that you expect him to maintain this current pace and there's no way he can improve on that?

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
What the hell. The 3 stars are picked by the journalists at the game, correct? Did they all leave before Ekblad was given the goal?

They say the are but I don't think the media actually chooses. I've been in the press box for every home game this season and have yet to hear them ask anyone fit their vote on the 3 stars.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Since the Bolland talk can go on forever it seems.. How about this question: Did we win the Smith for Hayes trade? Thoughts?

Absolutely. We got the better player offensively and especially defensively. Smith is a really smart player, something like Jokinen but with better speed and offense.

He probably struggles with consistency but so did Hayes big time. Plus Smith is three years younger, might still have some upside unlike Hayes.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida

Win-win

We needed the speed badly. The Bruins needed.. whatever they needed i guess a 6'5" dude who screens the goalie on occasion.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton

The more u post stats to try and define a player like bolland the more u show your lack of understanding for that type of player...there is no data that shows his worth... Just results... And the results show we r far better with him than without...

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Are there seriously bolland sympathizers in this forum now?

We dont sympathize for Bolland, more so we recognize his impact.

Whether people like it or not, Bolland affects the game. Sometimes intangibly, sometimes tangibly...but he does.

GG ideally uses Barky to match-up against the top line, and then bolland against the 2nd line....ideally. Whether it happens is another topic for discussion.

Having Bolland alleviates some pressure on Bjuggy and Trocheck.

Does he suck at faceoffs? Yea...but like Shaq, he performs when it counts. Does he take Dumb penalties, yea sometimes. But the dude IS a pest and is at least reliable on D.

No point comparing him to Trocheck. Trocheck at center will get you points, but his line won't be as good defensively.

Bolland won't get you points, but his line will be better defensively, and again, is a pest. Just depends what you need on a given night.

GG has to adjust for it. If the other team has a Stamkos and a Tyler Johnson on different lines, having Bolland play center is ideal. but If it's a center and a winger on another line, (Toews/Kane as an example) then slot trocheck at center.

It's about adjusting the lines (bottom 2) depending on match-up

That line of Pirri Trocheck and Grimaldi needs a change. I have zero confidence in that line defensively. Zero. None. Switch Grimaldi with Jokinen please.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
The more u post stats to try and define a player like bolland the more u show your lack of understanding for that type of playert...there is no data that shows his worth... Just results... And the results show we r far better with him than without...

And the more you attack the poster rather than the post, the more you show you have no idea how to have an adult discussion.

Learn from Soups and I who can exchange ideas all day long without an insult.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
We dont sympathize for Bolland, more so we recognize his impact.

Whether people like it or not, Bolland affects the game. Sometimes intangibly, sometimes tangibly...but he does.

GG ideally uses Barky to match-up against the top line, and then bolland against the 2nd line....ideally. Whether it happens is another topic for discussion.

Having Bolland alleviates some pressure on Bjuggy and Trocheck.

Does he suck at faceoffs? Yea...but like Shaq, he performs when it counts. Does he take Dumb penalties, yea sometimes. But the dude IS a pest and is at least reliable on D.

No point comparing him to Trocheck. Trocheck at center will get you points, but his line won't be as good defensively.

Bolland won't get you points, but his line will be better defensively, and again, is a pest. Just depends what you need on a given night.

GG has to adjust for it. If the other team has a Stamkos and a Tyler Johnson on different lines, having Bolland play center is ideal. but If it's a center and a winger on another line, (Toews/Kane as an example) then slot trocheck at center.

It's about adjusting the lines (bottom 2) depending on match-up

That line of Pirri Trocheck and Grimaldi needs a change. I have zero confidence in that line defensively. Zero. None. Switch Grimaldi with Jokinen please.

Great post.

it reallly comes down to GG and the utilization of players correctly and at the correct time.

ie stop putting hubys line in the defensive zond of faceoffs, stop putting bolland in the Ozone faceoffs (of course when possible)

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
And the more you attack the poster rather than the post, the more you show you have no idea how to have an adult discussion.

Learn from Soups and I who can exchange ideas all day long without an insult.

Not an attack or insult at all... But if your posting stats and are asking for hard data to show what he does u just don't understand the player or what he brings is all I'm trying to say

EstConf96*

Not an attack or insult at all... But if your posting stats and are asking for hard data to show what he does u just don't understand the player or what he brings is all I'm trying to say

This post makes no sense. Are you saying his use of real stats can't be used in order to form a argument against Bolland? I get what you say about "intangibles" but I seriously doubt he lacks knowledge about hockey or in players like Bolland like you suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad