Post-Game Talk: Lightning 5, Penguins 4: The Niemi Adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
And i'm not making excuses, but **** the NHL. Tampa sits from Monday til Thursday. Pens play back-to-back ON THE ROAD Wednesday/Thursday? Both teams last game against Washington. What is that? I understand if it's part of a road trip, but give me a break.

Look at how many times last season the Pens were just waiting and the teams came in on 2nd game of back to backs.

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
What was his role? Staring at people from the bench? He was on the ice for 3 mins out of 60. lol

ETA: oh wait u said Johnson. Heh.
That’s why he’s the best at what he does, he can even do it without leaving the bench. The east knows there is a new sheriff in town .

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
Enough with Blueger and Sprong. Neither are quite ready. Our biggest problem right now is defensive coverage and that is Spong's #1 question mark. Blueger was great at the rookie tourney, but showed he needed more time at TC.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Not sure why some are freakin out, its a long season. The only thing we should worry about is solidifying the center position in a trade if we have any chance at a 3 peat.

I'm not worried, not even 2 weeks into the NHL season. October is always the weird month. Still got lots of hockey to get better and i'm fine starting the season meh.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Tampa is the team to beat in the East as far as I'm concerned. They have the pieces.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Perhaps they're trying to showcase Kuhnackl or something? lol
Dressing them and playing them that little in a back to back makes zero sense other than that.
I guess Sully could see them sucking and just decided to roll 3 lines instead but.....
Oh well, best to get these lessons early.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Remember when Reaves was going to score 15+ points and Rowney 20+? Good times

None of this should be surprising.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Enough with Blueger and Sprong. Neither are quite ready. Our biggest problem right now is defensive coverage and that is Spong's #1 question mark. Blueger was great at the rookie tourney, but showed he needed more time at TC.

It's way too early, but here are my top issues:

- Defensive transition coverage: Improving little by little, but definitely #1 issue.

- A solid backup: Can't rely on Murray to play every night. In back to backs, goalies have to be strong. We were so fortunate to have MAF/Murray. Two starters for every single night. Insane.

- Depth: I understand PK was on fire so we are running Rowney/Kuhn who are part of that PK. But they suck 5 on 5. We can't run 4 lines. So we HAVE to rely on our top 6. That's not what makes us amazing.

- Individual play: Kessel and Letang are 2 that stand out. Both guys really struggling for 2 different reasons.

Reactions: froods and KIRK

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Really? Our secondary scoring was there. A 3C ain't taking that one over any different. One of Kessel, Geno, or Crosby just has to be good.

Disagree completely. This is exactly the type of game where Bonino and Cullen's lines would've evened it up.

Sheary looks good on the third line. Can't really say anyone else has. Our power play is hiding the lack of production we've got.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
And i'm not making excuses, but **** the NHL. Tampa sits from Monday til Thursday. Pens play back-to-back ON THE ROAD Wednesday/Thursday? Both teams last game against Washington. What is that? I understand if it's part of a road trip, but give me a break.
I think all back-to-back games should be only played against opponents also playing back-to-back. Not only for the sake of fairness but for even the slightest reduction in injury risk.

Reactions: ColePens and Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Most of my issues with the fourth line is that they are so bad Sid and Geno are playing more than they should. If this continues, we will have no push in March or end our season early. Sully can't be playing them this much in October. We need a fourth line that we can put out ther for at least 8 minutes a night

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Sprong is definitely ready. And Blueger can't be worse than rowney or Mckegg.

Maybe even give Adam Johnson a shot. I'm already tired of Mckegg being 3C.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Tampa is the team to beat in the East as far as I'm concerned. They have the pieces.

I disagree. If we play the same way we did tonight, Washington murders us 8-0. We held in there w/ very suspect play. Tampa had rest since Monday.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Perhaps they're trying to showcase Kuhnackl or something? lol
Dressing them and playing them that little in a back to back makes zero sense other than that.
I guess Sully could see them sucking and just decided to roll 3 lines instead but.....
Oh well, best to get these lessons early.

It's quite simple. We lost two big PKers and both Reaves and Wilson haven't been good at it. So because you have to play your big bad offseason acquisition every night and you need PK forwards, you have to dress both Kuhn and Rowney.

Reaves sucking has a compounding effect on other parts of the roster. I tried pointing this out all summer.

Reactions: td_ice

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Ideally i want JR to try to build this:

Jake-Sid-Horny
An upper echelon LW'er-G-Rust/Phil
Hagelin-New 3C-Rust/Phil
Sheary-McKegg-Whatever

With some of the expendable guys possibly moved in the deals and youngsters in WB brought in.

It's quite simple. We lost two big PKers and both Reaves and Wilson haven't been good at it. So because you have to play your big bad offseason acquisition every night and you need PK forwards, you have to dress both Kuhn and Rowney.

Reaves sucking has a compounding effect on other parts of the roster. I tried pointing this out all summer.

Wilson and Archie aren't bad PK'ers though.
And Kuhn isn't some PK wizard.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It's way too early, but here are my top issues:

- Individual play: Kessel and Letang are 2 that stand out. Both guys really struggling for 2 different reasons.

Kessel go to town on.

Letang has been our best defenseman this year. That is while looking like a shadow of himself. He was fine this game, he just made a big obvious mistake at the end of a PP so everyone is jumping on him.

Common Sense

Dec 29, 2010
I think we've seen enough of the bottom 6 already. They aren't NHLers. JR needs to fix it fast.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Disagree completely. This is exactly the type of game where Bonino and Cullen's lines would've evened it up.

Sheary looks good on the third line. Can't really say anyone else has. Our power play is hiding the lack of production we've got.

tenor.gif

I'm shocked. Could this be anything to do with your mantra all summer? Shocking.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't know why people are freaking out about the 3C right now. It's not McKegg as the 3C that's causing Sullivan to make Kuhnhackl-Rowney-Reaves his 4th line and proceed to play them for 3 minutes in a game. I blame that loss on coaching more than anything else, even with Kessel having a horrendous game and the stars not showing up. You flat out don't play your 4th line in 4 minutes on the back to back. If you have that little confidence in your 4th line, you don't dress them. It's that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad