Post-Game Talk: Lightning 5, Penguins 4: The Niemi Adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobodrifter

Jan 23, 2009
Jeannette
If Kessel can't sort his **** out I think he should be moved before he's unmovable. I can tolerate a one-dimensional player - as long as he's bringing that one dimension at least most of the time.
He does bring that "one dimension", in the playoffs anyways.

Reactions: td_ice

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
If Kessel can't sort his **** out I think he should be moved before he's unmovable. I can tolerate a one-dimensional player - as long as he's bringing that one dimension at least most of the time.

Man this is a toughie. I'm really torn. His play is inexcusable. It's bad. Pathetic energy. Ruining the play on the PP and 5 on 5. But then the last 2 seasons he is leading the team in the playoffs. I cannot wrap my head around this discussion. I want to just forgive anything and everything in the regular season as long as he brings it for the playoffs, but good lord it is BRUTAL.

I really cannot figure out if I want to turn a blind eye or if I want to take a stand on this.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
+++ Rust/Sheary/Guentzel: All 3 really brought it. Great games by all 3.

--- Geno/Sid/Kessel: All 3 really sucked. Geno is the best of the 3, but the stars were not stars tonight. They didn't have any energy and barely looked interested.

=== Horny/Hags: Solid energy, decent speed, and great hustle.

---------- Stop playing Kuhn/Rowney/Reaves on the same night. Only 1 of them can dress. All 3 is ridiculous. They do absolutely nothing out there. Get Wilson/Archi in there for at least some speed/tenacity.
GMJR needs to get a third line center. It is time.

59-87-72
43-71-17
62-3C-81
23-33-75

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Final stats for the 4th line 5on5:

Reaves TOI 3:07 CF1 CA7 12.5%
Rowney TOI 3:21 CF1 CA7 12.5%
Kuhn TOI 4:33 CF3 CA11 21.43%

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
One thing that should give pause.

Leading goal scorer: Sheary with 3G (Guentzel and Maatta tied with 2G)
Leading scorer: Rust with 7p, 1G, 6A (Crosby 2nd with 6p and Maatta and Guentzel tied for 3rd with 5p)
Leading D: Maatta with 5p, 2G, 3A (Schultz and Letang tied with 1G-1A)

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah, I get how Reaves can be valuable, IN CERTAIN GAMES, against certain opponents. But there are nights like tonight, when he has no business dressing.

Yeah it's pointless against Tampa/Chicago. Get the hell out of here with that. I love it against Washington, Winnipeg, LA, Anaheim, Nashville, etc. But teams like Tampa? Chicago? No way. He's pointless out there.

GMJR needs to get a third line center. It is time.

59-87-72
43-71-17
62-3C-71
23-33-75

We all know and agree a 3C is needed. Trust me. We know. :laugh: We've known since July 1st and ESPECIALLY when #7 left. I'm more and more intrigued by Bozak just to get Kessel going. I just keep bothering Toronto as they don't seem like they are in love with him.

Reactions: td_ice

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
well since it was the backend of a back to back and with Niemi in net, I was expecting worse?

That said, pretty lacklustre effort by the big guys (Kessel especially)

Reactions: domaug

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
Yeah it's pointless against Tampa/Chicago. Get the hell out of here with that. I love it against Washington, Winnipeg, LA, Anaheim, Nashville, etc. But teams like Tampa? Chicago? No way. He's pointless out there.

We all know and agree a 3C is needed. Trust me. We know. :laugh: We've known since July 1st and ESPECIALLY when #7 left. I'm more and more intrigued by Bozak just to get Kessel going. I just keep bothering Toronto as they don't seem like they are in love with him.
LOL, but my point is he can't wait until "something shakes loose". He needs to start doing the shaking.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
+++ Rust/Sheary/Guentzel: All 3 really brought it. Great games by all 3.

--- Geno/Sid/Kessel: All 3 really sucked. Geno is the best of the 3, but the stars were not stars tonight. They didn't have any energy and barely looked interested.

=== Horny/Hags: Solid energy, decent speed, and great hustle.

---------- Stop playing Kuhn/Rowney/Reaves on the same night. Only 1 of them can dress. All 3 is ridiculous. They do absolutely nothing out there. Get Wilson/Archi in there for at least some speed/tenacity.

This is the kind of team they don't need Reaves for. Other than that, they did score 4 goals while the players looked gassed this early in the season already.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
- Sid playing 23 minutes
+ or - depending on your perspective....Kunitz with more points than Sid or Geno

+ it's October, no injuries and we have a 3C coming down the pike (I hope)

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
Yeah, I get how Reaves can be valuable, IN CERTAIN GAMES, against certain opponents. But there are nights like tonight, when he has no business dressing.
I thought the reaver played his role well tonight - you didn’t see Tyler Johnson or any of the other thugs on Tampa even look at Sid funny

Reactions: ColePens

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
And i'm not making excuses, but f*** the NHL. Tampa sits from Monday til Thursday. Pens play back-to-back ON THE ROAD Wednesday/Thursday? Both teams last game against Washington. What is that? I understand if it's part of a road trip, but give me a break.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Phil brought two cups. He is not trade material this year with a 9 million dollar salary. But after this year he has 21.2 million in salary left and with the Pens eating 1 million per, he can be moved at 4.3 million per for 4 years in salary. I do think he will be moved to make room for cheaper younger wingers. Plus they have to sign Rust and Jake. Pens played Ok but Malkin is not exactly bringing it.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Not sure why some are freakin out, its a long season. The only thing we should worry about is solidifying the center position in a trade if we have any chance at a 3 peat.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Reaves played less than 4 minutes. If you aren't going to play him, don't dress him, especially on back to backs.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I thought the reaver played his role well tonight - you didn’t see Tyler Johnson or any of the other thugs on Tampa even look at Sid funny

What was his role? Staring at people from the bench? He was on the ice for 3 mins out of 60. lol

ETA: oh wait u said Johnson. Heh.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
You know, you're right. And, I'm as big at reacting to these games in October as the next guy. But, you know what, the coaches and stars have earned the benefit of the doubt. They have a rough night. Say it. Move on. The two rough games were back to backs against rested teams. What I look at: Guys needed to step up after the Chicago debacle against Nashville, and they stepped up. Rivalry game against the Caps. They stepped up.

I'm not worried about Sid, Geno, and Sully. And, until he gives me reason to think otherwise, 5 months is enough time for JR to address the holes in this roster.

I know, I know. The playoffs start in 6 months. Gotta play the right way every shift from now until then. That was a really compelling argument two years ago. A year ago? Hey, I was going nuts in random October games. But, not now.

Up is down, down is up. Kirk is now the chillest poster on the board.

There's a reason you heard stories about trading Kessel and Sully's issues with him this summer.

They deserve the benefit of the doubt but they were still ass. What I really don't like is the obvious problems that they should have seen coming. Like a 4th line they didn't play, the still struggling PP1 problem and Letang getting so many minutes when he's clearly rusty and has so many injury problems.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
games like tis is where our hole at 3c shows. A solid center could have made a difference at both ends.

Really? Our secondary scoring was there. A 3C ain't taking that one over any different. One of Kessel, Geno, or Crosby just has to be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad