Post-Game Talk: Lightning 5, Penguins 4: The Niemi Adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Who do you propose they play with Reaves then?

Already said when they get a third line pivot:

Archibald McKegg Reaves

Right now sit Kuhn. He blows and Archibald is a very good PK guy that is a human shorthanded machine.

But it won't stop their heads getting dribbled off the ice. Yay! Full circle.

I support the creation of a Reaves thread. Let those bothered by Reaves and those bothered by people being bothered by Reaves fight it out away from everone else.

Right I forgot, the league will protect them. Yay!

Dumb old man didn't want to watch his stars get viciously abused all season without some form of protection for them... should have left their fates to Uncle Gary.

What could possibly go wrong relying on Uncle Gary and the league?

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
It's amazing that you're a Penguins fan while not being able to spell any of Schultz, Maatta or Guentzel right.
Why would I care to spell another man's name? That makes zero sense

Two powerplays with two dmen on each. That is the way to go. Dmen have a much better feeling for when a shot is going to get through and cause chaos in front of the net.

Geno can play the high slot and fire away

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Like I get the complaints about Kessel but he had 70 points last year, and has been good in the playoffs both years with us. We don't win either cup without him.

I have no desire to move him. He is not playing well to start the season, but I'm sure we'll still get 60-70 points from him by the end of the season, and that's pretty good for the price.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Right I forgot, the league will protect them. Yay!

Dumb old man didn't want to watch his stars get viciously abused all season without some form of protection for them... should have left their fates to Uncle Gary.

What could possibly go wrong relying on Uncle Gary and the league?

Then an anti-Reaves person says "No one said the league will protect them, just that there's no point acquiring something else that doesn't protect them either."

Then a pro-Reaves person says "Of course its not total protection, but its worth trying to deter some of the abuse."

Then an anti-Reaves person says "On what grounds is it still worth trying a failed strategy? After all, St Louis have had a ton of bad hits against in Reaves' time."

Then a pro-Reaves person says "That's just selective picking, what about this game where it worked? Besides he's going to be an awesome fourth liner for us anyway."

Then we get the argument about him as a fourth liner, which eventually leads to someone mentioning that besides, we still need him for deterrence, which leads back to this argument, which leads back to the other, and on and on the circle spins.

I was on side "Lets wait for 20 games". But I think I'm now on side "Can we please not turn every post, or lack of post, into a statement on Reaves". If a whole summer of these arguments didn't change someone's mind, then its not going to happen now. If you're right, he'll make the argument for you in time. In the meantime, please lets not have this be 17-18's version of the MAF debate.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Then an anti-Reaves person says "No one said the league will protect them, just that there's no point acquiring something else that doesn't protect them either."

Then a pro-Reaves person says "Of course its not total protection, but its worth trying to deter some of the abuse."

Then an anti-Reaves person says "On what grounds is it still worth trying a failed strategy? After all, St Louis have had a ton of bad hits against in Reaves' time."

Then a pro-Reaves person says "That's just selective picking, what about this game where it worked? Besides he's going to be an awesome fourth liner for us anyway."

Then we get the argument about him as a fourth liner, which eventually leads to someone mentioning that besides, we still need him for deterrence, which leads back to this argument, which leads back to the other, and on and on the circle spins.

I was on side "Lets wait for 20 games". But I think I'm now on side "Can we please not turn every post, or lack of post, into a statement on Reaves". If a whole summer of these arguments didn't change someone's mind, then its not going to happen now. If you're right, he'll make the argument for you in time. In the meantime, please lets not have this be 17-18's version of the MAF debate.

That's a great speech, but the anti-Reaves posters will take over threads countless times with or without a thread dedicated to him.

And what do you do if the third pivot isn't acquired until March?

Also your Hitchcock assessment is way off. He has sucked for years. The pre-Torts Torts.

I already said what I'd do three times:

Archibald Rowney Reaves

And my assessment is bang on about Hitch. He was 152-71 through the last three seasons and just took his team to the conference finals before tensions with his star got him fired.

If that is sucking, I hate to see your definition of doing well.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Already said when they get a third line pivot:

Archibald McKegg Reaves

Right now sit Kuhn. He blows and Archibald is a very good PK guy that is a human shorthanded machine.

That's good with me. I don't know why they won't give Archie a game here. It's obvious that 4th line needs speed.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That's good with me. I don't know why they won't give Archie a game here. It's obvious that 4th line needs speed.

Ditto. It seems odd that a guy who built a speed team overlooks this option. I guess there's a bit of an understandable bias to the proven options but surely the component parts have to add up.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I'm a bit concerned at all the comments in the media that I'm seeing that are absolving Niemi. I want this Niemi experiment to be over sooner rather than later if he's going to be this bad and that forgiving attitude does not help things.

JR said he wanted Niemi to start 30-35 games or something like that this year. If that happens, we might not make the playoffs. I hope this organization isn't so arrogant as to think our spot is assured. It's not. Metro gets tougher every year. If we have a goalie in for almost half the games that is a sieve I don't think even this offense can overcome that.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
And what do you do if the third pivot isn't acquired until March?

Also your Hitchcock assessment is way off. He has sucked for years. The pre-Torts Torts.
play Wilson or Archi instead of Kuhn anyway and have a not-terribly-good 4th line. It's not why we're losing games. I'm confident we'd have the same record with last year's 4th line.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Isn't it obvious why Sully is playing Kuhn? It's the PK. I'm not saying I agree but with all the increased penalty emphasis and PP being handed out, he wants his best PK option on that left wing if he's playing Reaves at RW. That's Kuhn, and yes, he's a better PKer than Wilson or Archie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad