3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't know that I'd want to play him long term, but I'd rather pair Jones with Fox than Lindgren with Fox.

The 3rd period was better for RL, but it got really tiring watching him almost take out Quick on rush chances while covering no one or getting bodied in the corners by off the couch Parise.

It's not going to happen, but it's what I'd do until a better option became available.
The Lindgren-Fox pair sucked wind last night and we really need to not have our top pair suck.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Miller and Schneider were good. Schneider had some jump as soon as the game started. Both on for the least expected goals against. Although they have nothing on Kakko who quietly had a non-productive, great game.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
If all he is going to be is a trade piece I am Ok with that but I think he has definitely showed he can play in this league as a 3rd pair PP2 guy. I just find it funny that Gustafsson is living off an excellent first 10-15 games and is blocking a homegrown player. Gus has been fine at best but is still good for a heinous turnover or 2 a game.
It's the Rangers way. I'd love to see them play Jones more. But it looks like they've already made up their mind. Ah well...

Reactions: bl02

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Miller had a very good game yesterday. Still not a fan of him overall, but if he plays consistently like he did yesterday it would be huge for the team.

And the little mean streak body slam of rantaanan was great. Kid needs to have that edge.

And yes i still like jones.

And Pp1 needs to be broken up. Switch Laf and Zibs. Let zib rip shots on Pp2.

Laf needs the PP time.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
It's the Rangers way. I'd love to see them play Jones more. But it looks like they've already made up their mind. Ah well...

In some instances I understand why veterans are playing over young guys (its not really happening in a detrimental way anymore to be fair), but Gus is on the league minimum and was signed as a 7D. Its not like we owe him anything. Give jones a couple weeks of games before the deadline. There is only a benefit to it.

Miller had a very good game yesterday. Still not a fan of him overall, but if he plays consistently like he did yesterday it would be huge for the team.

And the little mean streak body slam of rantaanan was great. Kid needs to have that edge.

And yes i still like jones.

And Pp1 needs to be broken up. Switch Laf and Zibs. Let zib rip shots on Pp2.

Laf needs the PP time.

Avs were calling him soft all game and it got him mad. Good. The Rangers dont play with any anger and its to their detriment.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Rantanen was calling him a baby from the box the entire time

I wished miller came out of the box and challenged him to a fight, but as was happy he at least had passion tonight and some anger

The only notable thing Rantanen did all night, before getting robbed by Quick in the final minute, was get chokeslammed by K'Andre after that crosscheck.

This is what I mean when I say the team needs more grit. Protect the netfront and make them pay if they want to get there. It drags your team into the fight when guys are backing each other up after the whistle. Even Kreider jawing with MacKinnon at the same time. As long as you dont take needless penalties, I want to see more of it down the stretch.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
It seems Miller benefits from a faster partner (Schneider). Everything about his game just seems more engaged and alert.

Im not a scout or anything but Miller and Trouba play together and it seems like Miller is the young brother. Letting Trouba make the hits and pinch down the wall and behind the net. Trouba is a actually good at that part of his game in a vacuum. Unfortunately, it seems to leave Miller unsure of himself and he is constantly making bad reads and turnovers because of it. When he plays with Schneider there seems to be less deference to the veteran and more of him just playing. If I am Laviolette Im giving Trouba a new partner to mentor (Jones) and letting Schneider and Miller run for a bit. The coaching staff should have enough on tape to know that Miller and Trouba aint it. Any further pairing of those two is a coaching issue over a personnel issue imo.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Im not a scout or anything but Miller and Trouba play together and it seems like Miller is the young brother. Letting Trouba make the hits and pinch down the wall and behind the net. Trouba is a actually good at that part of his game in a vacuum. Unfortunately, it seems to leave Miller unsure of himself and he is constantly making bad reads and turnovers because of it. When he plays with Schneider there seems to be less deference to the veteran and more of him just playing. If I am Laviolette Im giving Trouba a new partner to mentor (Jones) and letting Schneider and Miller run for a bit. The coaching staff should have enough on tape to know that Miller and Trouba aint it. Any further pairing of those two is a coaching issue over a personnel issue imo.
Sounds eerily familiar to how Kakko acts when he plays with Panarin or the Wonder Twins.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Miller has a long reach and often that pokecheck will kill you when players avoid it. By the time you even bring your long reach back, you're out of position on the rush. I think we would all like to see him use his body more. I don't think we need Trouba-big-hits from him, but a simple putting your body in the way goes a long way.

Last night, Miller went for the long-reaching-pokecheck on MacKinnon and that was over as soon as Mac stepped around. Instead, it could have been a big hit. (which on the downside would have 100% created chaos hitting a player like MacKinnon). He could have simply bumped MacKinnon. I mean, It's MacKinnon, so it's hard to fault Miller when an elite player is coming down like a bull, but I think just stopping the 1st line of defense being the long reach while stepping forward would really help him.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008

Sounds eerily familiar to how Kakko acts when he plays with Panarin or the Wonder Twins.

I attribute it more to the pace of Schneider-Miller. The passes, at least last night, were crisp. Schneider can do dumb things too, but at least he doesn't plod like Trouba.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
Been saying this for months if not years. Miller needs to "head" his own pair to let him grow. That's why putting him with Fox was always a bad idea. He'll defer to Fox the same way he defers to Trouba. Schneider is the perfect partner for Miller.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Last year around this time Lafreniere scored an OT winner in a spirited game against Calgary and Drury added Tarasenko and Mikkola right after. Hoping for history to repeat itself for a 3C.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Correct. But I believe the call negated a rangers pp and the colorado goal came soon after that. Just glad that sequence of events occurred in the first rather than the third. I was also shocked (but also not shocked) we never got a make-good pp for that insanely bad call.
More insane (I guess not) was the fact that the refs got a chance to clearly see that there was no trip, discuss it among themselves and still stick with the call when there’ve been precedents in the league of refs correcting their wrong calls in real time.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
More insane (I guess not) was the fact that the refs got a chance to clearly see that there was no trip, discuss it among themselves and still stick with the call when there’ve been precedents in the league of refs correcting their wrong calls in real time.

I'd rather the league spend time on reviewing shit like this than the plays that are like 1/10000000th of a centimeter offsides, especially when it seems like they just make up the rules as they go along.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Miller was absolutely embarrassed by Nathan M on the Avs goal, but who hasn't been at one point this year.

Guy is in a league with McDavid and Hughes as far as being able to do things with the puck at 100% speed.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I’d keep him. He is no different than Gus and a homegrown guy. Give him a run of games when Tuba is back
Long term, I don’t there’s a place for him on this team. Like the player, hate the fit.

Miller and Schneider were good. Schneider had some jump as soon as the game started. Both on for the least expected goals against. Although they have nothing on Kakko who quietly had a non-productive, great game.
May have had the least goals expected but both waved at MacKinnon as he went by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad