Post-Game Talk: Light Flurry

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
It was an awful call but no, Mackinnon scored on an even strength rush.
Correct. But I believe the call negated a rangers pp and the colorado goal came soon after that. Just glad that sequence of events occurred in the first rather than the third. I was also shocked (but also not shocked) we never got a make-good pp for that insanely bad call.

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
IMG_9472.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Machinehead

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
First 20 we barely hung on. 2nd 20 is 40 mins of life we all deserve to have back. 3rd 20 and OT is what this team can do when they try.

Play Panarin more. It's okay to double shift your best players when you have 45 AHL quality players.

Keep Miller-Schneider together. It works. Every time.

Keep playing Quick as the 1 until Igor gets right.

Don't go back to what we've done for the last 4 years and counting

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
One under the radar guy who I thought played very well was Zac Jones. If teams are scouting the Rangers (and I assume they are) he is building up his marketability.

I’d keep him. He is no different than Gus and a homegrown guy. Give him a run of games when Tuba is back

Reactions: Cmox

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Fans tend to focus and even obsess on their team’s play. All the errors and mistakes stick out like a sore thumb. We miss the opponent making the same mistakes and errors. The rangers outplayed Colorado - it wasn’t domination. But they played better and deserved to win.
The rangers are pretty good. Not as good as they were for the first half but not as bad as they were the last ten games. They aren’t great offensively - especially at 5 on 5 - but they have their moments. And when they keep their structure they’re rarely out of it.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Fans tend to focus and even obsess on their team’s play. All the errors and mistakes stick out like a sore thumb. We miss the opponent making the same mistakes and errors. The rangers outplayed Colorado - it wasn’t domination. But they played better and deserved to win.
The rangers are pretty good. Not as good as they were for the first half but not as bad as they were the last ten games. They aren’t great offensively - especially at 5 on 5 - but they have their moments. And when they keep their structure they’re rarely out of it.

You are correct, the team isn't going to miss the playoffs or play .500 hockey down the stretch. They are a good team. Capable of beating other good teams.

The problem is that there's a flip side to that coin. They are a good team, not a great team, like probably 8 other good teams out there.

When everyone is buying the same assets at the deadline there's a tendency for both the team and the fanbase to get on blinders cause everyone is rushing in the same direction, but really, if everyone rents, then you haven't moved your own needle.

To get ahead - in business, in life, in sports - when everyone else zigs, you have to zag.

That doesn't mean the team has to tear down to it's studs just because its a middle of the road playoff team, but, yeah, they "aren't great," at 5v5, which is another way of saying they kind of suck at it. It's a fatal flaw that probably gets them in the end.

Consider that when deciding what to trade away. Bolstering themselves long term is going to be the better value proposition and it's what they should do. It doesn't mean punting on this season - if lightning strikes, and the hockey gods want Shesterkin to play like Hasek and Panarin to play like a Conn Smythe winner and Lafreniere goes on a tear, this team can win (hell, fate chose the Blues to win in 2019). But it can do that with or without trading a first for Sean Monahan.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
You are correct, the team isn't going to miss the playoffs or play .500 hockey down the stretch. They are a good team. Capable of beating other good teams.

The problem is that there's a flip side to that coin. They are a good team, not a great team, like probably 8 other good teams out there.

When everyone is buying the same assets at the deadline there's a tendency for both the team and the fanbase to get on blinders cause everyone is rushing in the same direction, but really, if everyone rents, then you haven't moved your own needle.

To get ahead - in business, in life, in sports - when everyone else zigs, you have to zag.

That doesn't mean the team has to tear down to it's studs just because its a middle of the road playoff team, but, yeah, they "aren't great," at 5v5, which is another way of saying they kind of suck at it. It's a fatal flaw that probably gets them in the end.

Consider that when deciding what to trade away. Bolstering themselves long term is going to be the better value proposition and it's what they should do. It doesn't mean punting on this season - if lightning strikes, and the hockey gods want Shesterkin to play like Hasek and Panarin to play like a Conn Smythe winner and Lafreniere goes on a tear, this team can win (hell, fate chose the Blues to win in 2019). But it can do that with or without trading a first for Sean Monahan.

Today's your lucky day because they quite literally cannot do this.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Today's your lucky day because they quite literally cannot do this.
Of course... I was just making a point. Since the list of other players they could target and overpay for is way longer, I just named the guy who we know what the return was.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Of course... I was just making a point. Since the list of other players they could target and overpay for is way longer, I just named the guy who we know what the return was.

I'm with you that they can't settle for rentals this year. A 1st for Henrique, even if Vatrano is thrown in, is not what this team needs. And I think its mostly beat writer conjecture anyway. They still need a 3C and another defenseman at least but if they are going to trade futures (my assumption has always Othmann, Perrault and obviously Cuylle are off limits), it needs to be for players with 2-3 years left

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Really fun game. Glad they gutted out this win. They didn’t fold like they’ve been doing.

Love being Georgiev.

That Cuylle-Kakko line is a lot of fun. Ferocious forecheck. I like Brod, but Drury has to get them a legit center.

Nic Dowd, Yanni Gourde or Boone Jenner between Cuylle and Kakko and we will have a force to be reckoned with on the 3rd line. Wheeler has been getting better and better on that line with Mika and Kreider, I would not prioritize RW.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
his fate is already sealed methinks

If all he is going to be is a trade piece I am Ok with that but I think he has definitely showed he can play in this league as a 3rd pair PP2 guy. I just find it funny that Gustafsson is living off an excellent first 10-15 games and is blocking a homegrown player. Gus has been fine at best but is still good for a heinous turnover or 2 a game.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
If all he is going to be is a trade piece I am Ok with that but I think he has definitely showed he can play in this league as a 3rd pair PP2 guy. I just find it funny that Gustafsson is living off an excellent first 10-15 games and is blocking a homegrown player. Gus has been fine at best but is still good for a heinous turnover or 2 a game.
I am not sure we have been losing lately from the margins.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I don't know that I'd want to play him long term, but I'd rather pair Jones with Fox than Lindgren with Fox.

The 3rd period was better for RL, but it got really tiring watching him almost take out Quick on rush chances while covering no one or getting bodied in the corners by off the couch Parise.

It's not going to happen, but it's what I'd do until a better option became available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad