Speculation: Life After Bozak

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Trying to minimize Marner again. I' would hope the leafs take Marner in the exact same situation again over Barzal.

My immediate question would be, how much of Barzal's supposedly superior stats are due to John Tavares either setting him up or allowing him to play against lesser competition? 'Cause there's a good chance Tavares is leaving Long Island this year...

I'd be willing to bet without Tavares to cover for him, Barzal doesn't look that elite... Sort of like how everyone was going crazy for Okposo and Parenteau due to the huge boost Tavares gave both of them...

You guys who wanted to trade down for Barzal were right.

Mess didn't want to trade down for Barzal; he wanted us to use #4 on Barzal and #26 on Kopecky...

No Marner. No Dermott. No Bracco. And a stupid assumption that Nylander will never play C for the Leafs, ever.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If I were calling the shots then my Leafs would have Matthews -- Barzal -- Kadri as 1-2-3 down the middle right now already. The future would look exceptionally promising.

Bozak would be the 4th line C and expendable at the TD right now.

As it is now the lack of Centre depth in the organization right now is concerning.
Barzal is having an excellent season to be sure. Just like Nylander and Marner, we will see how he adjusts to the league year 2, when the league adjusts to him next year.
This is the importance of having the extra picks from UFAs when possible. Wouldn't it be nice to have the players we drafted + Barzal. I'm surprised the Bruins didn't take him in one of their 3 in a row.
As it stands now, we could address the C and RHD in one 2018 draft with a UFA 1st.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
My immediate question would be, how much of Barzal's supposedly superior stats are due to John Tavares either setting him up or allowing him to play against lesser competition? 'Cause there's a good chance Tavares is leaving Long Island this year...

I'd be willing to bet without Tavares to cover for him, Barzal doesn't look that elite... Sort of like how everyone was going crazy for Okposo and Parenteau due to the huge boost Tavares gave both of them...

Mess didn't want to trade down for Barzal; he wanted us to use #4 on Barzal and #26 on Kopecky...

No Marner. No Dermott. No Bracco. And a stupid assumption that Nylander will never play C for the Leafs, ever.
He has a bias against Mark Hunter. Its pretty obvious. Maybe its because he has proven to be better then Dave "sign terrible contracts" Nonis.

Also 15 games and counting without a goal for turnover machine Barzal.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

I like Barzal. I like Marner better. Ha and Dermott, Bracco and Dzierkals.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Thornton has also had two major knee injuries in the last two years and may not be back for the playoffs this season, if that happens again we're completely ****** and at his age with his recent injury history that's more than conceivable

Aaltonen isn't a 4th line center, put him on the 3rd line and look after him with Johnsson and Kapanen he's got a chance of being Bozak level but he's not going to fair well with normal Babcock 4th line usage

Maybe, but given Joe’s likely willingness to sign a 1 year deal, I’d prefer that option over trying to sign somebody for a multi year deal. If you put Aaltonen in the 3rd line you still need to find a 4C.

I guess I just don’t see much downside to signing Joe for a one year deal, especially with the Leafs having extra capspace

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I don't think things need to be so political.

Barzal may simply just be a phenomenal player we ended up passing on. But we have a pretty great one in Marner ourselves, whatever your preference is. I didn't think it was a realistic option to trade down to get Barzal at the time. Didn't look like he was living up to the hype of being the one two punch with McDavid, but right now he looks like a better player. Doesn't mean we made a mistake or anything.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
We're looking for a guy to play sheltered minutes on the 3rd line I presume so why not try Aaltonen? Bring him and Johnsson up and let's see what we've got in house rather than Thornton who's as old as dirt and oft injured, Bozak that won't be worth his contract
I get what you’re saying but what if aaltonen doesn’t work out? What next? Every is signed now. Better to sign a veteran centre like a Thorton have Aaltonen play some games through the season.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Move Nylander to C (he's already being groomed for it)
Move Marleau to C
Sign Thornton and if that fails Plekanec
Trade for someone like Pageau

Considering how much Bozak is sheltered and still ends up being a negative player it won't be that hard to replace him.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I have a feeling they're gonna go hard after Thornton, or maybe they bring in a guy like Stastny.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Why do fans think Bozak would accept a trade from a team with some chance at winning the Cup, where he's currently at home with his wife and kid... pack up to go to a non-contender?
It makes absolutely no sense.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
1. John Tavares
2. Joe Thornton
3. Tyler Bozak
4. William Nylander
5. Miro Aaltonen

Likely order this management team willl look at. 3-5 are interchangeable.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Maybe, but given Joe’s likely willingness to sign a 1 year deal, I’d prefer that option over trying to sign somebody for a multi year deal. If you put Aaltonen in the 3rd line you still need to find a 4C.

I guess I just don’t see much downside to signing Joe for a one year deal, especially with the Leafs having extra capspace

We're looking for a 4C anyway because Aaltonen isn't equipped to play a 4th line role getting tough ZS like Babcock favours anyway, 3C with Bozak type usage he's a decent option

Thornton just hasn't been able to stay fit the last two years, at his age that's a huge red flag

I get what you’re saying but what if aaltonen doesn’t work out? What next? Every is signed now. Better to sign a veteran centre like a Thorton have Aaltonen play some games through the season.

You can always swing Marleau or Nylander into 3C or trade for a longer term solution which wouldn't be the worst idea

That's why trading Bozak now and playing Aaltonen has some merit so we know what we need rather than burn cap space in UFA or trading for someone with a potential Bozak replacement already here

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
If it was up to me I would go...

XXX-Matthews-XXX
XXX-Nylander-XXX
XXX-Kadri-XXX
XXX-4C-XXX

I wouldn't mind RNH from the oilers if we want to keep Matthews-Nylander together. Lets be real here Tavares is not gonna fit under the cap unless one of Nylander/Marner is moved - I don't think that is a good idea. Tavares is gonna slow down in 2 to 3 years while Willy and Marner will be entering their prime.

RNH is signed at a 6M cap hit; in a year that cap hit is going to look pretty good with cap going up and RNH is signed till 2020-2021. With McDavid's cap starting to hit Oilers next season; we may be able to get RNH at a relatively decent value. We would be able to run something like:

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Leivo/Kapanen-RNH-Brown
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Komarov (re-sign) - 4c/Goat/Alt - Bracco/Korshkov

RNH also PKs and IMO is just entering his prime. Has been playing pretty decent this season as well and does not need sheltering

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Why do fans think Bozak would accept a trade from a team with some chance at winning the Cup, where he's currently at home with his wife and kid... pack up to go to a non-contender?

Non-contenders are not interested in UFAs unless they can flip them. Either way TyBo ends up on a contender.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
1. John Tavares
2. Joe Thornton
3. Tyler Bozak
4. William Nylander
5. Miro Aaltonen

Likely order this management team willl look at. 3-5 are interchangeable.

I would add statsny in as a potential. Of course that’s if st l were to sign Tavares.
Of course crazy off the wall idea would be that the leafs end up with zetterberg for a year before retirement to mentor Willy. I still think willy is a C and will get there.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Barzal is having an excellent season to be sure. Just like Nylander and Marner, we will see how he adjusts to the league year 2, when the league adjusts to him next year.
This is the importance of having the extra picks from UFAs when possible. Wouldn't it be nice to have the players we drafted + Barzal. I'm surprised the Bruins didn't take him in one of their 3 in a row.
As it stands now, we could address the C and RHD in one 2018 draft with a UFA 1st.

Barzal is playing behind Tavares. If we had someone like that Matthews would have KILLED this league.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I would add statsny in as a potential. Of course that’s if st l were to sign Tavares.
Of course crazy off the wall idea would be that the leafs end up with zetterberg for a year before retirement to mentor Willy. I still think willy is a C and will get there.

I also forgot about Stastny. Could definitely be an option if he leaves STL

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
We're looking for a 4C anyway because Aaltonen isn't equipped to play a 4th line role getting tough ZS like Babcock favours anyway, 3C with Bozak type usage he's a decent option

Thornton just hasn't been able to stay fit the last two years, at his age that's a huge red flag

I think Aaltonen may be fine if they can’t find a better option in free agency, but I still circle back to: if the Leafs have capspace to burn next year they might as well use it, and Joe (health concerns aside) would have no long term risks to the Leafs and fills a direct need. He’d be another luxury support piece like Marleau.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

If they’re willing to pay him several more million a year he’d have a pretty big motivation to leave. I think other teams may offer him more term AND a higher aav than the Leafs.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think Aaltonen may be fine if they can’t find a better option in free agency, but I still circle back to: if the Leafs have capspace to burn next year they might as well use it, and Joe (health concerns aside) would have no long term risks to the Leafs and fills a direct need. He’d be another luxury support piece like Marleau.

We'd still end up in the same situation we are now next season with no cap space to fix it if someone like Aaltonen struggles at 3C, we need to know what we have then go shopping if we have to

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
We'd still end up in the same situation we are now next season with no cap space to fix it if someone like Aaltonen struggles at 3C, we need to know what we have then go shopping if we have to

Sure, but it gives you another year to figure out a longer term solution, maybe even see if they want to transition Nylander over.

Conversely, if they decide to start the season with Aaltonen as the 3C and he flops, the team’s centre depth is screwed and now management is forced to trade valuable assets to fix it. Signing Joe for a year is just capspace (which the team has plenty of).

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
If I were calling the shots then my Leafs would have Matthews -- Barzal -- Kadri as 1-2-3 down the middle right now already. The future would look exceptionally promising.

Bozak would be the 4th line C and expendable at the TD right now.

As it is now the lack of Centre depth in the organization right now is concerning.
If I was calling the shots we'd have both Boone Jenner from the 2011 draft and Jordan Kyrou from the 2016 draft...There should be a thread called "If I was calling the shots"...going back to say the Kadri draft. It would be interesting...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad