Speculation: Life After Bozak

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I like the Aaltonen thread, but I want to hear other's suggestions as to what TOR should do in the 3C position (other than promote Aaltonen).

Who is available next season in the UFA list that TOR should go after?

Should we sign Bozak short-term?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I suspect they’ll make another one year offer to Joe Thornton in free agency.

I don’t think management will be interested in resigning Bozak, and Bozaks agent will be looking to get his client a last bigger money multi year deal.

Reactions: hockeyes

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If I were calling the shots then my Leafs would have Matthews -- Barzal -- Kadri as 1-2-3 down the middle right now already. The future would look exceptionally promising.

Bozak would be the 4th line C and expendable at the TD right now.

As it is now the lack of Centre depth in the organization right now is concerning.

Last edited:

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

I don’t think management will be interested in resigning Bozak, and Bozaks agent will be looking to get his client a last bigger money multi year deal.
I won't be surprised if we end up with Jumbo and Nash this offseason.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I won't be surprised if we end up with Jumbo and Nash this offseason.
Right back to the Leafs of old! Bringing in aging hockey players on retirement contracts! Who says the ACC is no longer a old players country club if this happens!

Where has Nash, Thornton, and Marleau, taken their hockey teams during their prime years? Absolutely NOWHERE!

Please stay the course with up and coming young and fresh hockey players! NO MORE OLD MEN in pre-retirement mode!

Reactions: Brown Dog

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Right back to the Leafs of old! Bringing in aging hockey players on retirement contracts! Who says the ACC is no longer a old players country club if this happens!

Please stay the course with up and coming young and fresh hockey players! NO MORE OLD MEN!

I’m not sure about if the Leafs will have interest in Nash, but they did make Joe an offer this past summer.

At least a 1 year contract for him would have minimal risk for the team. Would agree about it being better to favour younger guys though, no argument there.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

Where has Nash, Thornton, and Marleau, taken their hockey teams during their prime years? Absolutely NOWHERE!

Please stay the course with up and coming young and fresh hockey players! NO MORE OLD MEN!
Not exactly, I wouldn't think they'd be coming on long term deals.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If I were calling the shots then my Leafs would have Matthews -- Barzal -- Kadri as 1-2-3 down the middle right now already. The future would look exceptionally promising.

As it now the lack of Centre depth in the organization right now is concerning.

You guys who wanted to trade down for Barzal were right. No question about that. Right now we have a problem at C and the only way to fix is to experiment with Nylander, it's about the only cost effective strategy we have.

One way or another Babcock either needs to be forced to do stuff by trading players out from under him or from the looks of it just start trading away all Sosh Johnsson Leivo Aaltonen Goat type prospects because they don't have a chance. We need to start trading for his guys on the bottom lines if he wants to play yoyo with the prospects. You can't tell jack squat having a guy get to play 5 games and then get shuffled around during that time, I mean what kind of chemistry can anyone develop?

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

As it is now the lack of Centre depth in the organization right now is concerning.
We also wouldn't have Dermott if you were calling the shots lol

Reactions: diceman934 and Al14

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013

Please stay the course with up and coming young and fresh hockey players! NO MORE OLD MEN in pre-retirement mode!

This is so hilariously over the top.

There's nothing wrong with supplementing your young core with solid veterans, the issue is when you try to build your entire team with them.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
This is so hilariously over the top.

There's nothing wrong with supplementing your young core with solid veterans, the issue is when you try to build your entire team with them.
:facepalm:

What happened to playing our youth?

Who needs vets supplementing our team when they have done NOTHING to bring a Cup victory to their current teams during their prime years?

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
:facepalm:

What happened to playing our youth?

Who needs vets supplementing our team when they have done NOTHING to bring a Cup victory to their current teams during their prime years?

Teams win cups not individual players. There are plenty of great players who've never won and a lot of less than great players who have.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Bring in Burns too! He would solidify our D! Can also play as a forward if needed!

I'm on board!

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I can't see any of Hunter, Dubis, Babcock, Lamoriello, Shanahan saying we shoould not sign Taveres. That is their plan.

I cannot see Tavares saying no, given our future and NYI's future.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
If Aaltonen makes the team out of camp next year, I think it's more likely to be in the Moore (4C) spot to start than it is as a Bozak replacement. I guess depending on what the market for centres is like, Bozak returning can't totally be ruled out, but I'd be surprised if he's re-signed. Not sure who the FA/trade replacement might be at this time.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
McDavid should be avoided too. He hasnt done anything either.
Sorry but your logic is bad.
My logic is bad? Why not Burns and McDavid if we bring in Thornton?

Hey, let's see if we can snag the Sedin twins too!

Come on, I'm on board!

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I prefer RFA so they can get someone a bit younger. Brock Nelson will likely be available if the Isles wish to have money to resign Tavares as Barzal has mown his grass. They need D and goaltending.
Boone Jenner may have worn out his welcome with CBJ. Both these guys seem like a buy low opportunity.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

We're looking for a guy to play sheltered minutes on the 3rd line I presume so why not try Aaltonen? Bring him and Johnsson up and let's see what we've got in house rather than Thornton who's as old as dirt and oft injured, Bozak that won't be worth his contract

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Nothing in our prospect pool is concerning for christ sake. Year 2 son. There is a fully expected amount of work left to do.

Willy is a center by the way! Just saying because i know he is not ever going to play it but he is.

We could put a lineup of:

Matthews
Willy
Kadri
Marner

All playing center. Instead it is two quality centers playing with two quality right wingers!

Trying to minimize Marner again. I' would hope the leafs take Marner in the exact same situation again over Barzal.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
We're looking for a guy to play sheltered minutes on the 3rd line I presume so why not try Aaltonen? Bring him and Johnsson up and let's see what we've got in house rather than Thornton who's as old as dirt and oft injured, Bozak that won't be worth his contract

Joe is probably at least a 50 point guy next season - he’s fine for the role, especially if Babcock doesn’t want to split up Matthews-Nylander.

I mostly just think management will try and get him because they’ve already tried this past offseason.

I’d like to see Aaltonen on the 4th line next year

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Joe is probably at least a 50 point guy next season - he’s fine for the role, especially if Babcock doesn’t want to split up Matthews-Nylander.

I mostly just think management will try and get him because they’ve already tried this past offseason.

I’d like to see Aaltonen on the 4th line next year

Thornton has also had two major knee injuries in the last two years and may not be back for the playoffs this season, if that happens again we're completely ****** and at his age with his recent injury history that's more than conceivable

Aaltonen isn't a 4th line center, put him on the 3rd line and look after him with Johnsson and Kapanen he's got a chance of being Bozak level but he's not going to fair well with normal Babcock 4th line usage

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad