Liberal MP: Doan should not be on team because of comments made

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
CrazyBob said:
Yeah, let the racists say what they want :shakehead
Indeed. Heaven forbid a hockey player says something out of line in an emotional hockey game.

Chirping is probably the biggest crime in all of sports. Doan should be banned for life.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
futurcorerock said:
Race does not equal minority

"white" is a race too (albeit an ignorant statement

I was referring to the fact that "French Canadians" is a definition ONLY bound by geographic location, NOT by physical appearance, as the definition of "race" is bound by.

Race can be defined as EITHER a human population related by genetic physical traits or by common history, language and backround (or both). (Also a definition of a nation BTW).

French-Canadian is indeed a race, the fact that the people are white has little to do with it, it was directed at a certain group of people, at "best" its biggotry.

However, this is really just me nitpicking, i think this MP is making too big a deal too quickly.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
CrazyBob said:
No. He took the information from the report the four referees have send to the league after the game.

How did he get that information?
Is it public domain?
If not, what right does a Liberal MP have to access internal documentation from an organization based in another country?
To quote the article:
Coderre did not contact the league to ask about the incident before making his public complaint.
Doesn't matter if he was Minister of Amateur Sport, there's privacy policies for a reason.
I think the fact that the league did not punish Doan is telling, considering how punishment was dealt to Avery for anti-Francais comments earlier this year.

All Coderre is saying is that Doan said "something really bad" and "the F-Word". First time an F-Bomb's been dropped at a hockey arena, I'm sure. If Coderre can't whisper in my ear what "something really bad" is, then I see no reason to listen to him.

Last edited:

RoCkMaN

Jul 4, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
www.BHCPOWER.com
This is nothing but grand-standing. Denis Coderre saw an opportunity to get his ugly mug on TV again, and he took it. Come on man, get a thicker skin. So what if he did call him a “frogâ€. Hell, I am a frog and I wasn’t even insulted. Believe me, I’ve been called much worse.

Society as a whole is making me ill with all this ‘politically correct’ horse manure. Sure we can buy our children video games dipicting graphic killings and violence. We can watch sex and nudity on prime time television. We can go on the internet and get detailed instructions on how to make home-made bombs. We can also download recipe books on how to make crystal meth in our own kitchen. And now, swinger’s clubs are legal in Canada…. BUT GOD FORBID WE CALL A FRENCH-CANADIAN A FROG!

Here's the rest of my rant if you care: http://www.thehockeyboard.com/index.php/?p=40

Big#D

Does anyone not get the irony of Colin Campbell telling Denis Coderre to mind his own business when it comes to the selection of Shane Doan to Canada's Olympic Hockey Team?

Denis Coderre is the former Minister of Amateur Sport, a Quebecker, and a representative of Canada's government.

Colin Campbell is a representative of the NHL, which the last time I looked has nothing to do with the selection of Canada's Olympic hockey squad. And to boot, the NHL is technically an American corporation located in New York City.

In reality, shouldn't Colin Campbell be the one minding his own business. If someone wants to complain about Hockey Canada's selection, let them. It's not the NHL's place to comment on anything about the Olympics. They don't own the Olympics. They don't have any Olympic rights. And other than an agreement between the IOC, the IIHF and the NHL allowing NHL players to play in the Olympics, the NHL really has nothing to do with the Winter Games.

So let me be the voice of reason and say...

Mr. Campbell mind your own business when it comes to the Olympics. Let Hockey Canada, the IOC, COC, the IIHF or anyone else that has anything to do with the Winter Olympics deal with the issue.

As for Mr. Coderre, most of all remember, politicians are politicians. They like to hear the sound of their own voices, especially at election time.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
I would think Colin Campbell is more qualified to speak of the situation then Denis Coderre.

Campbell is in charge of dealing with this sort of stuff in the NHL, the organization in which this situation occured. He has every right to defend his decision to not have any punishment based on the facts that he saw. Colin Campbell is one of the only people that has heard all the facts, something Mr. Coderre can not attest to. Campbell has every right to defend his actions, because directly or not, at some degree Mr. Coderre is attacking the NHL and their players.

If this had happened in International play, then I would agree Colin Campbell should be minding his own business. But because it occured inside the realm of the NHL, Campbell can and quite frankly should defend his actions and Doan, especially due to the implications this alleged situation has.

Big#D

But that's just it. Coderre didn't criticize the NHL for not suspending Doan. He didn't say that Doan shouldn't be playing in the NHL. His comments were specifically related to Doan representing Canada in the Olympics. That has nothing to do with the NHL, regardless of where the alleged incident occured.

I maintain that Campbell had no jurisdiction on the issue and Coderre, though his comments need to be taken with a grain of salt, does.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
boredmale said:
he wants to sue a guy because he has an opinion? what a pansy

as for Doan he shouldn't make the team because Shanahan does what he does only better.
Shanahan does what Doan does, only slower, less often and not as hard.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
CrazyBob said:
Yeah, let the racists say what they want :shakehead

Dont flatter yourself. "French" is not a race.

Care to inform me of what Doan said, and how you know for a fact that he said it?

Last edited by a moderator:

jester099

Aug 19, 2005
Montreal
Hart_House_Ca said:
Doan shouldn't be on this team because he's sucks. I'm sure doan isn't canada's greatest grinder. I can name over 10 players that would put Shane Doan to shame. Nobody would have ever heard of shane doan if it wasn't for Wayne.

No matter how you sugar coat it, we all know shane doan is only on team canada because of wayne; same goes for ryan smith who got on the team because of kevin lowe.

Well now we know why you're not the GM ;)

We need energy guys like Doan and Smyth. Some players have more talents, but few play with that energy, and that's as important as anything in Hockey...

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Big#D said:
Mr. Campbell mind your own business when it comes to the Olympics. Let Hockey Canada, the IOC, COC, the IIHF or anyone else that has anything to do with the Winter Olympics deal with the issue.

Oddly enough, Coderre does not represent Hockey Canada, the IOC, the COC, the IIHF or anyone else that has anything to do with the Olympics.

So why didn't you tell him to butt out as well?

I also liked how you argued that "other than signing a deal with the IIHF" the NHL has nothing to do with the Olympics. The obvious followthrough to that comment is that the NHL's deal with the IIHF has everything to do with the Olympics, as lacking that deal, no NHL players would be going.

The NHL has every right to defend one of it's employees when they are slandered by a politician who's only interest is likely political gain.

Last edited:

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
Big#D said:
But that's just it. Coderre didn't criticize the NHL for not suspending Doan. He didn't say that Doan shouldn't be playing in the NHL. His comments were specifically related to Doan representing Canada in the Olympics. That has nothing to do with the NHL, regardless of where the alleged incident occured.

I maintain that Campbell had no jurisdiction on the issue and Coderre, though his comments need to be taken with a grain of salt, does.

But Campbell undoubtably has more knowledge of the situation and that makes him much more qualified to comment then Coderre.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
First off how Doan made the team over Staal or Spezza is anybody's guess. But oh well.

Second, this may cause some jaws to drop but does it really matter that Doan used a slur against the French? Its funny how in an emotional game you can call someone a queer, make fun of their mother/wife, call them chicken for using a visor but in the heat of battle you cant use a slur towards them or their nationality or race. Does this make sense? Sure the n-bomb is bad, and calling the French "frogs" isnt nice either but does it merit investigations. i mean john Vanbiesbrouck was banned from the OHL cause he used a racial slur. Is it worth it? Are we really that uptight. I'm not saying its right by any means, but whether you bleeding hearts want to admit it or not if you get hit in the face by a Russian (for instance) its natural to think "you damn commie!" Maybe not appropriate but in the heat of the battle you shouldnt be thrown in jail for it.

habs_24x

Sep 12, 2002
montreal
Visit site
Big Phil said:
First off how Doan made the team over Staal or Spezza is anybody's guess. But oh well.

Second, this may cause some jaws to drop but does it really matter that Doan used a slur against the French? Its funny how in an emotional game you can call someone a queer, make fun of their mother/wife, call them chicken for using a visor but in the heat of battle you cant use a slur towards them or their nationality or race. Does this make sense? Sure the n-bomb is bad, and calling the French "frogs" isnt nice either but does it merit investigations. i mean john Vanbiesbrouck was banned from the OHL cause he used a racial slur. Is it worth it? Are we really that uptight. I'm not saying its right by any means, but whether you bleeding hearts want to admit it or not if you get hit in the face by a Russian (for instance) its natural to think "you damn commie!" Maybe not appropriate but in the heat of the battle you shouldnt be thrown in jail for it.

no one says he should be thrown in jail but it needs to be said what he said to show his caracter and mentality. When the heat is on in a game, emotions run high and this is the best Doan could come up with?
I was always high on Doan as a hockey player but after this, im not sure i would want him on my team...

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
habs_24x said:
When the heat is on in a game, emotions run high and this is the best Doan could come up with?

So we're questioning him based on how well he can come up with insults?
I guess this firmly cements beerpaul's case on getting Savard on the team. This obviously is the creativity that he was talking about.

rye&ginger

Jan 4, 2004
Vancouver
Resolute said:
Dont flatter yourself. "French" is not a race.

uhh, yes it is. Dont embarrass yourself
http://opera.answers.com/topic/race-1?method=6

"A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution: the German race."

French-Canadians fall under that definition.

'white' is NOT a race. Neither is 'brown', 'black' or whatever else you eye may tell your mouth to say.

habs_24x

Sep 12, 2002
montreal
Visit site
Kevin Forbes said:
So we're questioning him based on how well he can come up with insults?
I guess this firmly cements beerpaul's case on getting Savard on the team. This obviously is the creativity that he was talking about.

you got me all wrong, its not what i meant... im not talking about insults, Doan should of acted with actions on the ice if he didnt like the way the game was going but nooooooooo, he was pissed off, red in the face and said "fu**** french frog" or whatever. nice. When it gets tight in Olympic games, i want THAT guy on the Canadian Olympic team yelling slurs at the opposition! that i'l show them...

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
rye&ginger said:

"A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution: the German race."

'white' is NOT a race. Neither is 'brown', 'black' or whatever else you eye may tell your mouth to say.

I guess it is how you want to look at it...

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=race

A local geographic or global human population distinguished as a more or less distinct group by genetically transmitted physical characteristics.

The only difference between a french person or an english person is the language they speak. You are talking about differing cultures, not differing races. Crazybob would have been more appropraite to slander Doan as a bigot rather than a racist.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
rye&ginger said:

You shouldn't be so cocky either.. from your own link.

The term race is inappropriate when applied to national, religious, geographic, linguistic, or ethnic groups, nor can the physical appearances associated with race be equated with mental characteristics, such as intelligence, personality, or character.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
futurcorerock said:
Corderre is cut from the same cloth of radical Quebecois that feel it should be it's own sovereign nation.

Nothing against the notion, but when you use hockey as a springboard for politics, it's shameful and pathetic
Do you have any idea who Denis Coderre is for calling him a radical? He is a Liberal MP is is a federalist, not a separatist. He just felt insulted, including me, by Shane Doan and feels that that latter doesn't deserve to represent the country for not being in accordance with our nation's value.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
habs_24x said:
no one says he should be thrown in jail but it needs to be said what he said to show his caracter and mentality. When the heat is on in a game, emotions run high and this is the best Doan could come up with?
I was always high on Doan as a hockey player but after this, im not sure i would want him on my team...

Would you have wanted Mike Tyson to be Boxing for your side? I'll bet you would of back in the day. Why do I say this. Well Tyson has many times used slurs. He once said that he would beat boxer Francois Botha (I believe) just because he was white. And this was at a press CONFERENCE! It wasnt in the heat of the game. I can excuse guys like Chris Simon, Craig Berube and etc for using slurs during the heat of the battle. You think Simon never once has had his native background used against him on the ice? I'll bet he has. Does it make it right? No it doesnt. But geez be a man about it! We arent in elementary school anymore. Colin Campbell shouldnt be the principal!

Scott Stevens once told I think it was Brant Myyhres to go "have another drink" a few years back after he was out of rehab. Stevens was teammates with Daneyko who was also an alcoholic. To me this is just as bad as a racial or ethnic slur. Bottom line is that it happens unfortunately in Sports. If its a word that just slips out it shouldnt be blown out of proportion.

There are a few exceptions: Back in '98 in the Olympics during a Can/USA women's game an American player after the game allegedly mocked Canadian Angela James over her dead father who had just passed away that week. Bad taste IMO, and something like that is way over board. Also the fans that mocked Ted Nolan last week in the QMJHL when that "Tomahawk" song came on wnet overboard. They didnt just slip once, some fans followed him out to the team bus.

But come on guys, one slip of the tongue in a heated moment shouldt haunt you forever. Not saying its right but whether we're black, white, french, Russian, American, we've all used a slur against someone to their face and behind their back.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Coderre should focus on running the country. Oh wait, there's an election on right now? Fine, he should focus on his campaign. For those not familiar, this is typical of many Quebec MPs in Canada: the moment they hear of anything remotely negative (or unsubstantiated reports of anything negative), they complain. If you think U.S. Congress is annoying, with their meddling in baseball, some Quebec MPs are worse.

Shane Doan is a class act and an upstanding guy. This would be very out-of-character for him. I'm guessing that the officials misheard what he said. Judging by the NHL inquiry that took place afterwards, that's exactly what happened.

I never thought I'd say this, but for those living in Denis Coderre's riding: On January 23, vote Bloc Quebecois.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad