Lets talk Patrick Marleau

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
He's been a bit snakebitten. He looked great against Edmonton, Vancouver and Calgary and only came away with one goal which ironically was a total fluke (Russell scoring on his own net). Seems like he is getting more chippy recently too, in the Vancouver and Edmonton games he was manhandling some guys. I forget how strong Marleau is sometimes.

Defensively he is one of the best forwards on this team and most consistent as well. His underlying defensive metrics are very good.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I think he still a good player but he just does not fit.
I disagree. I think due to his versatility, Babcock has been leaning on him in many different ways so he hasn't had the most consistent of roles. Because of how bad Bozak has been too Babs has had to throw Marleau in at C to compensate at times.

Ultimately, when he plays with Kadri, Komarov kills that line's effectiveness, he is a clear step behind the two. They need a different winger on that line, perhaps a Leivo or somebody else. Last game Babs had Nylander with Marleau and Kadri and it didn't look half bad (although I want Nylander with Matthews).

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I disagree. I think due to his versatility, Babcock has been leaning on him in many different ways so he hasn't had the most consistent of roles. Because of how bad Bozak has been too Babs has had to throw Marleau in at C to compensate at times.

Ultimately, when he plays with Kadri, Komarov kills that line's effectiveness, he is a clear step behind the two. They need a different winger on that line, perhaps a Leivo or somebody else. Last game Babs had Nylander with Marleau and Kadri and it didn't look half bad (although I want Nylander with Matthews).

No, he really doesn't. Marleau being on that line forces Komarov to the right side where he doesn't look as good. When Brown was placed on that line, all of a sudden the whole line looked better. This is because of two things: Leo being placed on his correct side and Brown actually having chemistry with the line (Marleau has none).

The fix is so obvious it's not even funny - Nylander with Matthews, Brown with Kadri. This is honestly bordering on ridiculous why this change hasn't been made yet. Figure out something else to do with Marleau.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I think he still a good player but he just does not fit.
On pace for 49 points(higher than the last 2 seasons) on just 16:50 minutes per game, which is his lowest toi in the last 15 years!
He could easily be a 50 point player.

....how does he not fit????? That's absolutely ridiculous. Watch the games, he fits like a glove.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
No, he really doesn't. Marleau being on that line forces Komarov to the right side where he doesn't look as good. When Brown was placed on that line, all of a sudden the whole line looked better. This is because of two things: Leo being placed on his correct side and Brown actually having chemistry with the line (Marleau has none).

The fix is so obvious it's not even funny - Nylander with Matthews, Brown with Kadri. This is honestly bordering on ridiculous why this change hasn't been made yet. Figure out something else to do with Marleau.
Leo has played on the right side before and managed just fine. He is not the same player this year, all his numbers have tanked, both scoring stats and advanced stats. He's lost a step and he's not the same.

I agree with the last sentence though, with the caveat that Leo is bumped down.

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
He was brought in more as a mentor...but his goals have been very much welcomed. I'd say the shorter travel times between cities in the East has helped him quite a bit.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
So far, so good.

But 217 games left to go on this contract.

Cross your fingers.

It's a bit unfortunate that these 35+ multi-year contracts are risky where the cap is concerned and the players are scrutinized almost immediately upon signing. There were a few good reasons to take this risk though and I'm pleased that the rewards have won out to this (very early) point.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Don't think I have ever seen a UFA signing get 3000+ comments on here before.
Most of the talk about how it was a terrible signing

not too much of that lately. Marleau is on pace for 28g/47pts a year after getting 27g/46pts

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I never thought he'd be worth his $6 mill per year cap hit but so far this season, at least for year one of his deal, he is and is starting to change my mind.

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He’s everything the Leafs could have wished for. Just need to hope he can sustain this level of play into next season but Marleau looks to be one of those physical freaks like Chara.

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
What I like about Marleau is how versatile he is and the options he provides to the Leafs in case of injuries. I remember there was a point last year when Bozak was out for a few days and the Leafs were forced to use Gauthier and Smith down the middle as our 3rd and 4th. People were freaking out (rightfully so) as we realized how weak we were down the middle should one of the top three were ever injured. It was one of the reasons why the Leafs acquired Boyle at the deadline. With Marleau, we have a winger that also adds depth at center should we need it.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Patrick Marleau Update

Stat: Number (Rank) [Possibly placement end of 2018/2019]

GP: 1575 (11) [82 games brings him to #5 ALL TIME]
G: 535 (33) [22 goals brings him to #27 ALL TIME]
A: 594 (88) [23 assists brings him to #80 ALL TIME]
P: 1129 (56) [42 points brings him to #50 ALL TIME]
OTG: 10 (39) [1 OTG brings him to #29 ALL TIME]
GWG: 103 (7) [3 GWG keeps him at #7 ALL TIME]
ENG: 21 (20) [2 ENG brings him to #15 ALL TIME]

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Lucky to have him. Just showing what is necessary from a conditioning perspective how to have longevity in the league should help players stay strong for a long time

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
^That and the change and the locker room dynamic.

Big emphasis on family time and maturity (look at Marner's comments on all the Marleau family pics etc similar to how he was with Martin).

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00