Lets talk Patrick Marleau

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
A little pricey but we didn't need the extra couple mil a season anyways, I think he is great player on/off the ice from what i see and read.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I'll be the one to say it then.

Redundant piece that we really don't need. I liked the signing when it happened but honestly, he looks pretty meh most nights.

How much less effective is our forward group if we put Brown with Kadri and replace the 4th line spot with Leivo? He looks pretty god damn ineffective on Kadri's line - zero chemistry.

Don't get me wrong I would love it if he was tried with Matthews but that's just not going to happen.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
He has played pretty well but that year might haunt us
How much do you expect him to regress? I was originally worried about year three but he has erased my fears... I think 55 points this year, 45 next and 30 in his last year would be fine tbh.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
TERRIBLE signing. There better be a handshake deal for him to take his last signing bonus, and retire after year 2. We need all dollars to sign our future. His 3rd year is a ball buster.

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
TERRIBLE signing. There better be a handshake deal for him to take his last signing bonus, and retire after year 2. We need all dollars to sign our future. His 3rd year is a ball buster.
Terrible signing based on what? The 3rd year?

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Matthews and Marner come due that 3rd year. After Nylander gets his $$$. Who on this board predicted 11M+ for Matthews when we signed Marleau last year??? Well, crap happens... Marleau was always superfluous. A luxury move for a team that needed to keep its powder dry for the multiple long term core pieces they drafted/ preserve some flexibility.

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
Matthews and Marner come due that 3rd year. After Nylander gets his $$$. Who on this board predicted 11M+ for Matthews when we signed Marleau last year??? Well, crap happens... Marleau was always superfluous. A luxury move for a team that needed to keep its powder dry for the multiple long term core pieces they drafted/ preserve some flexibility.
According to this board we can even afford Tavares. So I think you are panicking for nothing and can't look past the third year. Your argument is invalid if you can not base your assessment on anything else.

Reactions: Snilsson and Shanty

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton

You do know that if he retires, the full cap hit still affects us, right?

Reactions: taurine330

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Wouldn't the Leafs have been better without Marleau and have Leivo or Kapanen take his spot. And with that extra 5m in hand, spent on 5m year Dman per year for two years?
Now I'm sure who that Dmen was, but certainly with teams with cap issues and last years UFA, the Leafs certainly could have upgraded over Carrick or Polak.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Wouldn't the Leafs have been better without Marleau and have Leivo or Kapanen take his spot. And with that extra 5m in hand, spent on 5m year Dman per year for two years?
Now I'm sure who that Dmen was, but certainly with teams with cap issues and last years UFA, the Leafs certainly could have upgraded over Carrick or Polak.

Well that's just a minor detail.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I wasn't wow'd by the Marleau signing, and the term concerned me.

However his play so far through 30 games has changed my mind quite a bit. At 38 he looks so fresh and so hungry still.

Add in the fact that he seems to be great for the kids, and can play center as well, and the Leafs have a really useful player here.

Reactions: bobermay

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I wasn't wow'd by the Marleau signing, and the term concerned me.

However his play so far through 30 games has changed my mind quite a bit. At 38 he looks so fresh and so hungry still.

Add in the fact that he seems to be great for the kids, and can play center as well, and the Leafs have a really useful player here.
Yeah, he’s been exactly as advertised. Smart, versatile player that skates well and plays 200ft. Provides a bit of offense and brings that ‘rel gud pro, Saskatchewan science’ stuff.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

Marleau has the versatility of being able to capably play centre, as we've seen and needed at times. Think Leivo and Kapanen have (not too distant) futures here, but the addition of Marleau isn't why they are currently in the pressbox/AHL. Expect we'll upgrade on Polak/Carrick at some point, but don't believe Marleau's signing impacts that either.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
It's an absolute shame Babcock wont let Matthews centre Marleau. They've shown chemistry when they've played some shifts together. You know Marleau signed here because he wanted to play with Matthews, yet Babcock's ego and selfishness won't let that happen .

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
It's an absolute shame Babcock wont let Matthews centre Marleau. They've shown chemistry when they've played some shifts together. You know Marleau signed here because he wanted to play with Matthews, yet Babcock's ego and selfishness won't let that happen .

I think Marleau signed here because of Babcock, not Matthews.

Marleau is smart. He came here as a left winger, knowing that Zach Hyman has pretty much locked down that LW role on Matthews line.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
I think Marleau signed here because of Babcock, not Matthews.

Marleau is smart. He came here as a left winger, knowing that Zach Hyman has pretty much locked down that LW role on Matthews line.

I'm pretty sure when marleau signed here, in his press conference he said that he wanted to play with our exciting young talent, but he did mention being familiar with Babcock from team Canada was also a bonus.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He has exceeded my expectations, if you didn't actually know his age when he signed, you'd never know.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He has exceeded my expectations, if you didn't actually know his age when he signed, you'd never know.
Agreed, he seems to be fitting in quite well and his versatility is a bonus.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00