OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXXI (now rated PG)

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
Interesting take on the state of movies, music, baseball and basketball and how it’s all being influenced by Moneyball.

Good article. Baseball lost its magic by becoming too perfect, too optimized.

I couldn't help but think the same rationale applies to work now too. I work for a tech company and its all metrics all the time. Doesn't matter if your top-line metric is currently 80%, 95% or 99.99%, you're constantly expected to move the needle in the right direction year over year.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I recently came back to the Orville s3. Damn. Episode 9 was probably the most epic space (and ground) battle I've seen in recent years. He may have copied a bit too much on Star Wars: A New Hope and Rogue One but whatever.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I’ve walked out on a handful of movies in my life. Tonight I walked out on Halloween Ends.

Who makes a Halloween movie without Michael Myers? My God this was bad.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
I’ve walked out on a handful of movies in my life. Tonight I walked out on Halloween Ends.

Carpenter & Wallace (Halloween III) ... It was a flop too.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Carpenter & Wallace (Halloween III) ... It was a flop too.

Yeah that was terrible
Halloween 3 is great! Carpenter wanted to do stand alone sequels that had nothing to do with Myers originally afaik.

When you know going in that 3 isn't going to have Myers what you're left with is a pretty great movie. A bit cheesy in parts (which I never mind) but man is it legit creepy in the last 3rd or so. Love Halloween 3. Great soundtrack too.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Halloween 3 is great! Carpenter wanted to do stand alone sequels that had nothing to do with Myers originally afaik.

When you know going in that 3 isn't going to have Myers what you're left with is a pretty great movie. A bit cheesy in parts (which I never mind) but man is it legit creepy in the last 3rd or so. Love Halloween 3. Great soundtrack too.
Well, it was better than Halloween Ends anyway…

Thebeastoftheeast

Sep 12, 2009

I wish I had walked out on Halloween Ends the night I saw it- it started off really good but kept getting worse and worse.

In Halloween Kills they alluded to Michael looking out his window as a kid and teased it as a plot thread that might be answered in Halloween Ends but nothing.

The rights are reverting back to Blumhouse and as much as I would love to see another group of Halloween movies I dread the thought of destroying the franchise even further - I'm almost glad Friday the 13th is caught up in legal issues.

On the bright side Rob Zombie can take solace that he isn't responsible for the worst Halloween movie anymore- Halloween 2 that he made over a decade ago.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I wish I had walked out on Halloween Ends the night I saw it- it started off really good but kept getting worse and worse.

In Halloween Kills they alluded to Michael looking out his window as a kid and teased it as a plot thread that might be answered in Halloween Ends but nothing.

The rights are reverting back to Blumhouse and as much as I would love to see another group of Halloween movies I dread the thought of destroying the franchise even further - I'm almost glad Friday the 13th is caught up in legal issues.

On the bright side Rob Zombie can take solace that he isn't responsible for the worst Halloween movie anymore- Halloween 2 that he made over a decade ago.
I was expecting dumb fun. It’s baffling how they thought this would be something that people would want to watch. :laugh:

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I was expecting dumb fun. It’s baffling how they thought this would be something that people would want to watch. :laugh:

Horror movies are so cheap to make and no doubt they were riding on the franchise name, legacy characters and concluding the current story arc.

Haven’t watched it yet since horror doesn’t do much for me. Not squeemish or anything, and I have watched the first two of this arc, but the last one was already so dumb, I’m in no rush for this.

Side note, I watched Bullet Train this past weekend. I enjoyed it, more than I anticipated. Solid 7/10 for me.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Romantic series are not a genre I’m drawn to however, I found the Netflix short series, From Scratch, to deliver in spades.

It’s a compelling story, the cast is superb and the images of Florence and Sicily are enchanting. Based on a true story, I found myself really intrigued by the cast, how the families being featured evoked such genuine love for one another, while facing major obstacles together.

If you’re looking for an immersive series to watch with your better half, this one will be unforgettable. Or, you can watch it alone and experience for yourself, a sustained, roller coaster ride of emotions.

This series has done particularly well for Netflix, in all of the countries it was released in.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Romantic series are not a genre I’m drawn to however, I found the Netflix short series, From Scratch, to deliver in spades.

It’s a compelling story, the cast is superb and the images of Florence and Sicily are enchanting. Based on a true story, I found myself really intrigued by the cast, how the families being featured evoked such genuine love for one another, while facing major obstacles together.

If you’re looking for an immersive series to watch with your better half, this one will be unforgettable. Or, you can watch it alone and experience for yourself, a sustained, roller coaster ride of emotions.

This series has done particularly well for Netflix, in all of the countries it was released in.

Thanks for the tip… my wife had been asking about this one.

Reactions: Runner77

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006

My wife thanks you too! She's been looking and we found this good!

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad