OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXXI (now rated PG)

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
@Kriss E

If you're talking S4 split, it wasn't that bad - only 3 months.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-21 at 10.10.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-21 at 10.10.28 PM.png
    708.4 KB · Views: 4

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
@Kriss E

If you're talking S4 split, it wasn't that bad - only 3 months.
Oups, misread. Anyways, not all that important. It's not necessarily the timeline of the show, more so the direction of it.
The Shield is one of my favorite shows and it ran for 7 seasons. The storyline kept up with it.
After S03 with the Ozark, I think they started going in circles.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Oups, misread. Anyways, not all that important. It's not necessarily the timeline of the show, more so the direction of it.
The Shield is one of my favorite shows and it ran for 7 seasons. The storyline kept up with it.
S3 is my favourite, but S4 is pretty close. I'd go with S2 and S1 to complete the ranking.

I said it multiple times on here that it's relatively rare for TV series running over 4-5-6 years to keep getting better as it matures. IMO Ozark is one of those rare ones.

If I was extremely picky id shave some point off for rushing things a bit toward the end, but the drawn out oppsite you speak of I can't say I can agree with.

IMO Ozark is the second best returning show for all of 2022 and it's not all that close.

And, people, I live in the area so you can't expect me to bash it. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Runner77

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Woulnd't mind a prequel for the Sheild leading up to the first epsiode.

Reactions: aresknights

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
The Shield was great, and it was underappreciated.

It was during that window of time where series were still great and felt like a fresh thing. Just after the Sopranos and the Wire had shown what the medium could do. Nowadays I don't know how people still get hooked to new series. I tried many times in the last 6-8 years but meh.

The Shield nailed the ending too, which is rare for a series. It was perfect. Vic's confessions scene was magnificent.

Reactions: rik schau

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
S3 is my favourite, but S4 is pretty close. I'd go with S2 and S1 to complete the ranking.

I said it multiple times on here that it's relatively rare for TV series running over 4-5-6 years to keep getting better as it matures. IMO Ozark is one of those rare ones.

If I was extremely picky id shave some point off for rushing things a bit toward the end, but the drawn out oppsite you speak of I can't say I can agree with.

IMO Ozark is the second best returning show for all of 2022 and it's not all that close.

Meh...I see it differently. I thought it stopped making sense from season 4, but hey, still a very good show.

Woulnd't mind a prequel for the Sheild leading up to the first epsiode.
Definitely an opening there with how the show started.

Stive Morgan

Fatso forgot to shake my hand
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Any of you ever watch Baraka or Samsara? I watched Samsara this Summer and Baraka a couple weeks ago and loved both. I wish more films were done in that style. I don't need sappy narration or music.

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
The Shield was great, and it was underappreciated.

It was during that window of time where series were still great and felt like a fresh thing. Just after the Sopranos and the Wire had shown what the medium could do. Nowadays I don't know how people still get hooked to new series. I tried many times in the last 6-8 years but meh.

The Shield nailed the ending too, which is rare for a series. It was perfect. Vic's confessions scene was magnificent.
American productions now try to fit unconvincing characters into roles you know are not accurate.
We saw a show down here from America called ''Rookie Feds'' what a total joke of a show. Who's buying that crap,how does garbage like that get on the air.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I watched "Polar" and loved it.

Think it's an older movie, I really don't watch or pay attention to films anymore, but boy did we have fun watching it.

Something's happening to me when it comes to movies - I now seem to enjoy hyper-stylized, violent action films.

Can I have more recommendations please? Nothing of serious nature please, action should be the standout feature. Last 3 i saw and enjoyed are - Tenet, The Gray Man, Polar.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Has anyone used these before?

They can’t be so secret if they’ve been posted on Twitter:

Many more « hidden » genres here: GitHub & BitBucket HTML Preview

It's not really a "secret" it's just an unpopular/undocumented feature. Browser extensions making it more convenient to use have been around, like this one: All Netflix Categories (the feature itself doesn't give access to any "hidden" contents, just greater filtering power.)

Regular bookmarks work just fine too, for anyone who doesn't need ±27000 categories.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018

I agree with Kriss. One of favourite shows in awhile, but tbh it felt like it had been going off the rails for over a season imo. I thought season 4 was a pretty big letdown for me tbh.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I watched "Polar" and loved it.

Think it's an older movie, I really don't watch or pay attention to films anymore, but boy did we have fun watching it.

Something's happening to me when it comes to movies - I now seem to enjoy hyper-stylized, violent action films.

Can I have more recommendations please? Nothing of serious nature please, action should be the standout feature. Last 3 i saw and enjoyed are - Tenet, The Gray Man, Polar.

Hardcore Henry?

Headhunters?

Reactions: GoodKiwi

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Netflix has been on fire dropping good looking EU limited/mini series. Can't keep up, perhaps not until next year will I have a chance to watch some of it. Notre Dame is in (recently I believe). It's a little bit of a casual fan grab, sure, but the French have something to their stuff. Can't quite point it out, but it's something of a "we don't give a flying f*** about you or your opinion" feeling in all aspects - from writing to acting and technical execution. I haven't seen many French series so far, so it's fresh to me.
Bureau des légendes.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
House of Dragons was a 50-50 split for me. Really not a fan of their time leaps, couldn't get behind some characters, poor development meant some decisions didn't add up.
They clearly were working up to that finale which sets the stage for next season.
Hopefully next season will be better.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Okay.....now I want a season 2 of House of the Dragon badly....and Rings of Power too.....great finale for both series.

Reactions: Redux91

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
House of Dragons was a 50-50 split for me. Really not a fan of their time leaps, couldn't get behind some characters, poor development meant some decisions didn't add up.
They clearly were working up to that finale which sets the stage for next season.

The last 2 episodes of House of the Dragon were great, the dark mood with the music in the #9 was great and the finale only left me wanting more......but I agree with the rest, before that, It was Meh at best for me too

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The last 2 episodes of House of the Dragon were great, the dark mood with the music in the #9 was great and the finale only left me wanting more......but I agree with the rest, before that, It was Meh at best for me too
Ya..they made up some grounds in last two episodes. It's like the opposite of GoT where they rushed through almost 20 years of time-line to seemingly get to the climax, civil war. Whereas GoT took what seemed to be 3548 years for winter to arrive.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

It got better once the characters were older and I don't think they could've skipped that set-up, for storytelling sake. Last 3-4 episodes were top notch. I love how they built Matt Smith's Daemon as a villain at first, while family life made him more humane later on. King Viseris's last moments were masterful. The show doesn't benefit from as strong characters as the original, but it makes up for it with what is becoming an epic story. Like Rings of Power, it benefits mightily from an established universe and lore (and fans) that they can build on, but contrarily to Rings of Power, HOTD's scripting and writing is lightyears ahead. Character conversations sound genuine and have the proper gravitas, contrarily to ROP where it's almost comical just how bad they are at handling their storylines. Everything was so predictable (except for Mount Doom) and bland, I would've quit if I wasn't such a fan of extended lore. I figured Halbrand by episode 3 and was pretty sure who the stranger was from the start. Their tells were way too much on the nose. Hoping Besos gets tired of the bad publicity and nixes the duo for next season.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
It got better once the characters were older and I don't think they could've skipped that set-up, for storytelling sake. Last 3-4 episodes were top notch. I love how they built Matt Smith's Daemon as a villain at first, while family life made him more humane later on. King Viseris's last moments were masterful. The show doesn't benefit from as strong characters as the original, but it makes up for it with what is becoming an epic story. Like Rings of Power, it benefits mightily from an established universe and lore (and fans) that they can build on, but contrarily to Rings of Power, HOTD's scripting and writing is lightyears ahead. Character conversations sound genuine and have the proper gravitas, contrarily to ROP where it's almost comical just how bad they are at handling their storylines. Everything was so predictable (except for Mount Doom) and bland, I would've quit if I wasn't such a fan of extended lore. I figured Halbrand by episode 3 and was pretty sure who the stranger was from the start. Their tells were way too much on the nose. Hoping Besos gets tired of the bad publicity and nixes the duo for next season.

They took the Tolkien lore and threw it to the garbage can

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
They took the Tolkien lore and threw it to the garbage can

I hate the show runners, but as a fan, you have to expect it. The reality of putting the Silmarillion into a televised script comes with a few prerequisites, like majorly shortening the timeline, making the lore palatable to a bigger audience and changing major parts of the story to offer something less predictable. Most authors will tell you they don't mind the story changing. I've heard many of them state this. Martin, King, Crichton, Palahniuk and a few others, all have stated they expect nothing else and would be dissapointed if a new author wouldn't transform the story. Sure it has its limits, but truly, people in general will accept it if it's done right, but in the case of Rings of Power, it was handled very poorly. I consider them hacks. Being a good script doctor doesn't necessarily make a good scriptwriter and I am now doubtful they were any good as mere script doctors.

Did you know they based the whole story on two pages from unpublished papers? They couldn't get the rights to the Silmarillion.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

I love how you start with HoD and get sucked into RoP.
Viserys last moment was amazing, no doubt about it. I still think they tried to cover too much grounds quickly.
We didn't really get proper character build ups. Aemond for instance, when he gets his eye sliced as a kid, shows the maturity level to admit he started the skirmish but he's happy to take the hit as he just grabbed the baddest dragon. But somehow, years later, he now wants payback. What happened over the years for him to have this shift of attitude?

Otto is loyal to the King, but gives all that up...hmm.
Alicient seemingly has respect for tradition, yet, she's down for a coup..okay?
And of course, let's throw in the cripple who obviously has some weird sexual fetish, just gives up his family like this. That's...uncommon.

I think they could have probably set up the civil war over a few seasons, if they took a decade for winter to come.
All in all, not a bad show though.

As for Rings of Power, thought it was boring, cliché, and disappointing.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Ya..they made up some grounds in last two episodes. It's like the opposite of GoT where they rushed through almost 20 years of time-line to seemingly get to the climax, civil war. Whereas GoT took what seemed to be 3548 years for winter to arrive.
And then winter arrives and it’s barely meaningful. Such a dumb ending to GoT. Can’t believe how bad that show was butchered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad