Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Hi everyone! I cant find the name of a horror movie I watched in the 70s. Here's what I remember. A group of people rented a house, visited a graveyard, did a parchment paper and chalk copy of the tombstones and brought them back to the house. This awoke a female vampire, The final scene had a women in a small boat in a pond thinking she was safe. The vampire slowly floated from the bottom of the water next to the boat. Let me know and thank you! Scared the shit out of me LOL

Last edited:

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Hi everyone! I cant find the name of a horror movie I watched in the 70s. Here's what I remember. A group of people rented a house, visited a graveyard, did a parchment paper and chalk copy of the tombstones and brought them back to the house. This awoke a female vampire, The final scene had a women in a small boat in a pond thinking she was safe. The vampire slowly floated from the bottom of the water next to the boat. Let me know and thank you! Scared the **** out of me LOL

HORROR MOVIES FROM THE 1970s (1970-1979) - IMDb

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Moved on to the next thing and it's a dandy.

They're finally showing American Gods on HBO. It just started, they only have the first episode on demand.

I'm loving it as it's totally unpredictable and there's an element of fantasy and the supernatural that is twisted and not stereotypical.

You might want to find out how the main character is released from jail and what happened to his girlfriend just as he was about to be released.

Engaging opening episode. Can't wait for the rest.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Have also started another series on HBO called Vida. It's about two Mexican American sisters from the East side of LA, who return to their childhood neighborhood upon their mother's death. And a lot of events unravel and some old feelings are rekindled, leading to odd situations. It's very raw, lots of nudity and sex.

But, beyond the several adult situations, the dialogue is fresh and you really get the flavor of that neighborhood -- the financial struggles, the predatory practices, the plight of those fighting for the less fortunate, the contradictions and secrets that each characters bears and entertains.

And within all of that, some smartly-written lines, like this one from the third episode, spoken by an elderly lady who is a tenant in the building that was owned by the sisters's mother:

"We all die three times.

One time, when we breathe our last breath.

The second, when they put us in the ground.

And third, when the last person alive who knows us and remembers us, says our name for the last time."

Goddamn chilling and brilliant. Hit me squarely in the gut.

I took the liberty to write what she said, solely in English, as the character who utters these lines throws in some Spanish, but that was easy to render in English.

Oh, and plenty of juicy Spanish slang words. Too bad they don't translate them but they're worth googling, lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: groovejuice

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Moved on to the next thing and it's a dandy.

They're finally showing American Gods on HBO. It just started, they only have the first episode on demand.

I'm loving it as it's totally unpredictable and there's an element of fantasy and the supernatural that is twisted and not stereotypical.

You might want to find out how the main character is released from jail and what happened to his girlfriend just as he was about to be released.

Engaging opening episode. Can't wait for the rest.
The finale, episode 8 is one of my favorites of all time, i dont know why...it wasnt the most amazing thing i ever saw...but there was some kind of "satisfaction" PLUS more mystery in just a perfect combination leaving me wanting more

I was thoroughly impressed by the whole season simply because of the story itself, i find the whole "believe in us thing" cheesy IRL but FANTASTIC when it comes to television lol

personal fav from episode 8 "and you are Ostera of the dawn! Show them, who, you, are!"

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
I've been trying to watch some documentary series. So I finished the Staircase.

I can't really decide if he did it or not but that isn't the point of the series. Like Making A Murderer, it points out corruption in the Justice system. Everyone is entitled to a fair trial whether you are guilty or not.

The next one I am starting is Wild Wild Country. Hopefully it's good.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Kkkkkkkk.

Ive watched Hereditary.

Swear to god, I, a 220 pound man, was hiding behind my hands. God damn this is crazy scary.

I cant do spirit and demonic crap. Hell naw.

But the movie was great. One of the best horror movie ive seen lately.

Probably ranks just behind the Invitation for the last year or two.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Kkkkkkkk.

Ive watched Hereditary.

Swear to god, I, a 220 pound man, was hiding behind my hands. God damn this is crazy scary.

I cant do spirit and demonic crap. Hell naw.

But the movie was great. One of the best horror movie ive seen lately.

Probably ranks just behind the Invitation for the last year or two.

I gather Toni Colette was good in it?

The trailer was pretty inviting, but havent seen it yet.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I've been trying to watch some documentary series. So I finished the Staircase.

I can't really decide if he did it or not but that isn't the point of the series. Like Making A Murderer, it points out corruption in the Justice system. Everyone is entitled to a fair trial whether you are guilty or not.

The next one I am starting is Wild Wild Country. Hopefully it's good.
Just started it yesterday, 2 episodes in. It's a bit crazy. What surprises me most is how I never heard about this story until I saw the trailer.
How have I not heard about this before in my 35 years of existance.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Been re-watching the sopranos. Still as entertaining. Paulie and Sylvio remain my favorite characters.
I can't imagine the Sopranos without Paulie. Everything about this character is golden. From his facial tanning using those alluminum plates, to how he treats his mom, to "Christopher!" to his hand gestures...
Golden.

Didn't like the last season but still one of my favorites shows of all time.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Finally had a chance to see "The Post".

What a great film. Like its message or not, find it thinned out or otherwise - this film is crafted. It's the overall execution that has stuck with me more than just about anything else about it. It is dumb-ed down? No doubt about it, but it engaged me like very few films have lately. Both camera and, especially, editing are impeccable here. Having seen is several times now I can't find a single fault with either. That culmination set featuring the conference call and the "decision" was thrilling.

And what more could be said about Meryl Streep... The woman can do no wrong and I wouldn't be surprised if she could walk on water. Another stellar performance. What else is new... She's nearly 70 years old and I still have a childish crush on her.:oops:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Collateral is undoubtedly the best show I've seen in 2018.

It came into it expecting a good time, but it stunned me a little as to how well executed it was. To me Collateral is a culmination of gradual evolution of British crime drama, as it balances high energy with emotional connections very well and isn't heavy-handed on either. Everything here works, everything makes sense at micro-level making its viewer enjoy each and every crumb of dialogue it drops.

And Mulligan's character is a force. I couldn't take my eyes off the screen while she was present on it.

I was drawn to watch Collateral based on the above account. It did not disappoint, except for one thing -- I wish it was more than a 4-part series.

I particularly enjoyed the performances of John Simm, Jeany Spark as Sandrine Shaw and the actor who played the bishop. The dialogue was superb, as you evoked.

I'm probably going to watch it again as I am certain there are a lot of subtleties that I missed as I paid too much attention to understanding the British accent and pronunciation. It was refreshing not to watch the usual spate of American actors appearing anywhere and everywhere.

It's not the best show I've seen in 2018 but it's definitely worthy of high praise. Thanks for the recommendation.

Reactions: GoodKiwi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad