Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Finished a few movies and TV shows in the last few weeks and I have time to kill so...

Dear white People 8/10
Im not big on the whole racial equality activicism thing, I think its over played and all but this show is almost perfect. While Reggie, Joelle and Sam might seem overzealous at times (still think they are somewhat, but to a cause, and I believe the show realizes that), they make their story compelling and theres actual empathy going on, you really feel for Reggie and Sam and it makes you think hard and long, but at the same time I think it creates empathy towards characters like Troy amd Gabe who are shunned upon by the former. Great show, great way to portray different issues in our society. Side note, I dont like how they portrat homosexuality, its portrayed as if theres no actual challenges in todays society. Lionel just becomes gay and gets a latino BF. Thats too easy and it takes away from one group to make anothers situation look worst.

13 reasons why season two. 6.5/10
Enjoyed it, its corney and reminds me of watching Degrassi: next generation. Was the mop scene necessary? How is he walking of getting his head smashed in a mirror and on a ceramic sink three times? Thats some BS. The scene with the counselor in the court room was really powerful and moving, great acting. Clay is a bit annoying and all, theres some nice bromance going on with the misfits (Zach/Alex, Clay/justin, Tony). Not a must watch at all, I do appreciate the effort of opening some peoples eyes on sexual consent and bullying though.

Coco 6/10
Yeah this was mostly boring. Great visually though. Nice turn of event but its a bit too long before the story gets going and you dont get enough of it.

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
I'd do it chronologically:

A Cook's Tour
No Reservations
The Layover
Parts Unknown

Now, the first two are very similar - they both concentrate more on food exploration than anything else. They are also the ones that feature a more "naive" and edgier Bourdain. First one of the two is certainly starting to feel dated and can be corny at times. "No Reservations" is basically a mature remake of "A Cook's Tour".

"The Layover" changes the format a little, but is in the same vein as the two above. This one tries to get its viewer a bit more sense of the location along with food culture. The format is interesting if somewhat flawed (Tony being Tony actually makes jokes about the fake structure of the show often during it).

"Parts Unknown" is not a show about food or travel. It only uses local cuisines as a backdrop for much more serious sociopolitical subject matter. Tony you see here is a far cry from his earlier version. He is predominantly a listener here and he rarely is the one driving dialogue. I often got a feeling that Anthony is tired/disinterested throughout it. This show is certainly meant for a much more mature audience and it doesn't chase mass appeal. I found myself to be less interested in certain episodes than I was in others and I think that's perfectly normal. This is a deeply exploratory series.

If I had to pick my favourite among these four I'd say it's "No Reservations". It's more casual and Bourdain we see there connects with me more. It features some memorable humorous moments that I like a great deal.

Hope this helps and, trust me, you're in for a treat! I'm jealous.

Thank you very much! Great write up, very helpful. That makes for A LOT of episodes to watch...

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Thank you very much! Great write up, very helpful. That makes for A LOT of episodes to watch...

You're right, the total episode count is probably around 300 or so.

"A Cook's Tour" and "The Layover" are both relatively short series. I believe they ran for 35 and 20 episodes each respectively. Both were available on Netflix Canada at some point. Not sure if they still are.

The longest one is "No Reservations" which has roughly 150 episodes.

"Parts Unknown" features around a 100 episodes, perhaps slightly less.

Reactions: groovejuice

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You're right, the total episode count is probably around 300 or so.

"A Cook's Tour" and "The Layover" are both relatively short series. I believe they ran for 35 and 20 episodes each respectively. Both were available on Netflix Canada at some point. Not sure if they still are.

The longest one is "No Reservations" which has roughly 150 episodes.

"Parts Unknown" features around a 100 episodes, perhaps slightly less.

Holy crap, your knowledge of Bourdain's offerings is beyond compare. They should have included you in the CNN special about Bourdain.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Holy crap, your knowledge of Bourdain's offerings is beyond compare. They should have included you in the CNN special about Bourdain.

His shows are my go-to, I often re-play various episodes from them. If you name a random episode I will probably have at least a vague recollection of which scenes/people it contained.

Bourdain has made a connection with me. I don't really know why that is exactly, but what I'm certain of it wasn't about food or travel. It was something about his personality. I could often understand the context and his emotional state as many of these episodes were filmed. He wasn't very good at pretending while the lights were on, but that is what made him real to me. I saw when he was tired, frustrated, irritated, etc... I could almost tell when lines were forced and meant nothing to him. This kinda thing is very rare to get a sense of with TV productions being as rehearsed as they are nowadays. His shows were also that, but he had this unique ability to emit his true feelings at any given moment while filming.

I really did like seeing him on-screen and I will miss him dearly. :(

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
His shows are my go-to, I often re-play various episodes from them. If you name a random episode I will probably have at least a vague recollection of which scenes/people it contained.

Bourdain has really made a connection with me. I don't really know why that is exactly, but what I'm certain of it wasn't about food or travel. It was something about his personality. I could often understand the context and his emotional state as many of these episodes were filmed. He wasn't very good at pretending while the lights were on, but that is what made him real to me. I saw when he was tired, frustrated, irritated. I could almost tell when lines were forced and meant nothing to him. This kinda thing is very rare to get a sense of with TV productions being as rehearsed as they are nowadays. His shows were also that, but he had this unique ability to emit his real feelings at any given moment while filming.

I really did like seeing him on-screen and I will miss him dearly. :(

Actually, it's thanks to you, from past versions of this thread, that I became more interested in Bourdain. I had nowhere near the depth of understanding of what made him so unique and so relatable. I liked his moodiness, so to speak -- he could be so broody and that made him all the more genuine. And that little smile he'd always have, ready to burst into a chuckle -- always liked how he found amazement despite so many travels and having seen so much -- he continued to marvel at things big and small.

Whenever I watch shows, be it news or travel or whatever is not too heavily scripted, I'm constantly asking myself -- why didn't they ask about this or that. With Bourdain, he almost always hit the target. He'd ask the questions I'd ask. It's uncanny. I would want to know the things he asked about. He saved me a few trips that way, lol. And I'm totally grateful that he gifted us with so many great moments.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Actually, it's thanks to you, from past versions of this thread, that I became more interested in Bourdain. I had nowhere near the depth of understanding of what made him so unique and so relatable. I liked his moodiness, so to speak -- he could be so broody and that made him all the more genuine. And that little smile he'd always have, ready to burst into a chuckle -- always liked how he found amazement despite so many travels and having seen so much -- he continued to marvel at things big and small.

Whenever I watch shows, be it news or travel or whatever is not too heavily scripted, I'm constantly asking myself -- why didn't they ask about this or that. With Bourdain, he almost always hit the target. He'd ask the questions I'd ask. It's uncanny. I would want to know the things he asked about. He saved me a few trips that way, lol. And I'm totally grateful that he gifted us with so many great moments.

Let's share a smile or two remembering Tony's relationship with the infamous Zamir, shall we?

:)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This is the same clip you had posted initially, when I asked about what made Bourdain special. Zamir is a classic. :laugh:

Everything Zamir was involved in from those clips, is a disaster. There is no gutter he hasn't been comfortably settled in and survived to tell all about it. Which makes him so endearing.

I looked up Zamir and found a heartfelt ode to Bourdain:

"Tony's death is a huge loss and I am devastated and heart-broken. He really convinced me that personal freedom and dignity are something we should never trade for anything. For me, he created what I can only define as an unbearable lightness of being through food and booze. He swept aside my negative stereotypes about street food. And since meeting him I learned to be bold and fearless in standing up for what I believe is right. Without Tony's presence and influence in my life Zamir Vodka would never have been conceived or realized. He was a man whose friendship enriched and enlarged my world and his loss is the world's loss.

"It can happen that you lose relatives or family members and one does not feel bitter — it's life and losses happen. But then there are people who are in your life with the same sense of family and understanding and their death brings shock and collapse, as if we had a shared DNA and their death is like a death within our hearts too.

I didn't realize he was capable of such depth of thought, with such eloquence. Guess he picked up a lot since first meeting Tony.

He has since moved to Buffalo and is writing an autobiography that he is dedicating to Tony. He's quite entrepreneurial, having created his own brand of vodka. God love him.

Zamir Gotta Remembers Friend, TV Companion Anthony Bourdain: "He Enriched and Enlarged My World"

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
This is the same clip you had posted initially, when I asked about what made Bourdain special. Zamir is a classic. :laugh:

Everything Zamir was involved in from those clips, is a disaster. There is no gutter he hasn't been comfortably settled in and survived to tell all about it. Which makes him so endearing.

I looked up Zamir and found a heartfelt ode to Bourdain:

"Tony's death is a huge loss and I am devastated and heart-broken. He really convinced me that personal freedom and dignity are something we should never trade for anything. For me, he created what I can only define as an unbearable lightness of being through food and booze. He swept aside my negative stereotypes about street food. And since meeting him I learned to be bold and fearless in standing up for what I believe is right. Without Tony's presence and influence in my life Zamir Vodka would never have been conceived or realized. He was a man whose friendship enriched and enlarged my world and his loss is the world's loss.

"It can happen that you lose relatives or family members and one does not feel bitter — it's life and losses happen. But then there are people who are in your life with the same sense of family and understanding and their death brings shock and collapse, as if we had a shared DNA and their death is like a death within our hearts too.

I didn't realize he was capable of such depth of thought, with such eloquence. Guess he picked up a lot since first meeting Tony.

He has since moved to Buffalo and is writing an autobiography that he is dedicating to Tony. He's quite entrepreneurial, having created his own brand of vodka. God love him.

Zamir Gotta Remembers Friend, TV Companion Anthony Bourdain: "He Enriched and Enlarged My World"

Thanks for linking to the article, I haven't read it before.

Their relationship dynamic was special. It is probably the brightest highlight of "No Reservations" for me. I think they both brought out the best in each other.

I told you before that my very favorite episode of Tony's television series is the Romania one. Now that is a timeless classic IMO.

Then there's the Uzbek massage scene that also stands out. :laugh:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Word to the wise, if your wife and kids ask you to watch A Wrinkle in Time do yourself (and them) a favour and fake a heart attack

Possibly the worst movie I've ever seen, -1,000,000/10

What were you expecting from a Disney movie featuring Oprah Winfrey? ;)

BTW watched Bitter Harvest yesterday. Such a bad movie depicting a very important part of history rarely seen in movies. Such a waste. It's full of clichés and stereotypes. It's also full of Hollywood looking actors full of makeup right in the middle of the soviet famine ...

Reactions: Runner77

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
What were you expecting from a Disney movie featuring Oprah Winfrey? ;)

BTW watched Bitter Harvest yesterday. Such a bad movie depicting a very important part of history rarely seen in movies. Such a waste. It's full of clichés and stereotypes. It's also full of Hollywood looking actors full of makeup right in the middle of the soviet famine ...
Wasn't expecting much, the usual dull numbness of Disney blah but this hit all the senses that make someone want to poke out there eyeballs and cut off their ears, I actually left and cleaned up the kitchen at one point as doing dishes was a better option than even sitting through that.

Thinking back the last thing I saw like that was when they dragged me to Into the Woods, ironically another flick with Chris Pine, might have to flag him on the no watch list as a precaution

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Been watching Barry, a series featuring Bill Hader as a hitman who joins an acting class and strives to maintain his composure while continuing to be a hitman.

There is some blood and gore as you would expect with this type of storyline, however, it's odd enough to keep you interested. Kind of an innovative take on something that you wouldn't think could have a lighter side. Found it entertaining.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Been watching Barry, a series featuring Bill Hader as a hitman who joins an acting class and strives to maintain his composure while continuing to be a hitman.

There is some blood and gore as you would expect with this type of storyline, however, it's odd enough to keep you interested. Kind of an innovative take on something that you wouldn't could have a lighter side. Found it entertaining.
Sounds good. Hows the overall production?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Sounds good. Hows the overall production?

It's well put together. Lots of outside scenes, varied locations, quality camera work, interesting plot lines. Good cast, particularly enjoyed Henry Winkler as the cheesy acting coach. Several goofy supporting actors contribute to the comedy element, constantly in juxtaposition with the show's inherently darker side. I liked the yin/yang aspect of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrb1p

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal

There is some blood and gore as you would expect with this type of storyline, however, it's odd enough to keep you interested. Kind of an innovative take on something that you wouldn't think could have a lighter side. Found it entertaining.

I enjoyed Barry. The Chechens were hilarious. :laugh:

Native

Nov 27, 2003
Montreal
I'd do it chronologically:

A Cook's Tour
No Reservations
The Layover
Parts Unknown

If I had to pick my favourite among these four I'd say it's "No Reservations"...

I've also watched all his shows, and if I had to pick my favorite one, it would also be, "No Reservations." It was the ideal vehicle for him to develop and hone his unique and personal voice. he was given the artistic latitude to express and establish himself as a great cultural storyteller that revealed the depth and substance to something that everyone can identify with.

I'm not sure if it has already been mentioned, (my apologies if it has been), but he also did a show called, "Raw Craft." you can watch on youtube (search raw craft anthony bourdain). he applies the same thoughtfulness and insight into other trades like: music, clothing, shoes, booze, tattoos etc. i found it to be a great tribute and acknowledgement to those that truly love and are passionate about what they do.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Killing Eve season 1: 7/10 It started very good but the season finale is weak /silly.

hereditary: 7/10 Far from a masterpiece but not a total mess either. An average horror movie.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Saw Tomb Raider and The Incredibles 2.

Tomb Raider I was surprised that I liked a big Hollywood movie for once. I liked it far more than the Angelina Jolie version. It was smarter, made more sense and yea it was more realistic. When stuff like the Tomb Raider and Jolie and other stuff like Resident Evil and the Bride in Kill Bill, it was became fashionable to see a woman beat 50 guys. They became sort of the Rambo/Arnold generation for women like invincible people with no flaws. It took Die Hard and Bruce Willis to change things in the 80s where even if the character did big things, he was making mistakes, he was suffering, he had flaws. And while here we don't have anything revolutionary with this movie, the realistic was refreshing. Like for instance Lara Croft is pursued by three guys with a knife and she doesn't beat them, they could have easily killed her but she stumbles on the boat of the guy she was searching for and it saves her life. If it was Angelina, her character would have beaten those guys easily. Whether it's stunt or the way she reacts she is resourceful and brave but she is not invincible, she suffers and so forth. And it's about time Hollywood did that. I'm not saying anything is great though(cause the story is by-numbers with Lara trying to find her missing dad). But they got Lara right, at least. They have the best set-up to make it a franchise.

Incredible 2 had all the tools to be special, for a good while they did well but it felt like at some point in the movie, they lost their subject matter. Really not impressed by the script. It started special like most Pixar movies I have seen but then it become another typical cartoon flick which is unfortunate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad