OT: Let's Remember Some Guys

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Peter Prucha, the enigma
Luckily he's doing well in the Czech Republic and used some of his NHL and KHL money to buy real estate. He had some concussion issues the end of his career.

What about Martin Rucinsky? I seem to remember him scoring an OT goal against St. Louis I think where he missed the net and it hit off the boards and in or something.
Late-2005. I will never forget that goal vs. Lalime. I was out at a hookey bar with my childhood friends and then g/f.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
My man, Gilles (as you can tell from my avatar).
Wonderful goalie, Quick’s great ##s so far been reminding me of then

One fave Villemure related memory, I’ve probably mentioned before, was listening a game vs Flyers in transistor radio, and opposing goalie was ~Michel Belhemeur
At some moments, wasn’t sure which was making some saves

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
What about Martin Rucinsky? I seem to remember him scoring an OT goal against St. Louis I think where he missed the net and it hit off the boards and in or something.
My favorite Rucinsky memory: Mike Richter Night

As they're standing in the tunnel, Mike's in a suit about to walk out and make a speech, and all the guys are lined up in uniform. You can see Mike and Marty chatting. Mike has a water bottle in his pocket, and Marty points to it obviously making a D joke. Mike starts laughing and gesturing towards it like "hey, check this out!"

Second favorite: I forget who we were playing, but we were up 5-2 when there was some rough stuff and shenanigans after the whistle. There was still chirping going on on the ice while the refs were discussing how to assess the penalties. The camera shows Marty gesturing "5-2, 5-2," and then a middle finger. Basically "It's 5-2, so eff you." Sam says, "Rucinsky is asking the refs if it's a 2 minute or 5 minute penalty." I was CACKLING!

• Haha
Reactions: TopShelfSnipes

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph
Dave Balon. Thirty + goal scorer twice for us in the early seventies and original member of the Bulldog line with Walt Tkachuk and Bill Fairbairn.
Pete Stemkowski, Ted Irvine and Bruce MacGregor who I believe were the third line on the contending teams of the early seventies, although Donnie Marshall was in there too.

Last edited:

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Dave Balon. Thirty + goal scorer twice for us in the early seventies and original member of the Bulldog line with Walt Tkachuk and Bill Fairbairn.
Pete Stemkowski, Ted Irvine and Bruce MacGregor who I believe were the third line on the contending teams of the early seventies, although Donnie Marshall was in there too.
Even though we had a dominant first line (GAG) and an excellent second line (Bulldog), the skillset of the 3rd line was superior to that of almost all other teams and was one of the reasons we were an elite team: Stemmer (above average offensive skills and could be physical), Irvine (prototypical power forward), and MacGregor (speedy winger). The diverse skillset meshed.

Balon: I remember him from his early days on those horrendous Ranger teams of the early 60s, he had some success with Montreal before going to the North Stars, I believe in the expansion draft before coming back to us for two excellent seasons. He fell on hard times as he has M/S and was in really bad shape after his retirement. A solid winger and an integral part of the Francis era teams.

Reactions: Ratelleitlikeitis

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
I remember despising Darren Turcotte. Every shift he would come to the bench wincing because of some incidental contact.

Todd Harvey:the original Ryan Callahan
Kevin Hatcher had me so excited when we picked him up. Literally one of the
5 worst players ever to put on a Rangers sweater.

Who Was that jerk of 3rd rounder that we traded away to St. Louis and this board lost their minds. Then it turned out he sucked there too? I feel like that's the trajectory for Buchnevic.
Interesting prediction from 2018

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA

Perhaps he was talking about Buchnevic, Pavel Buchnevich's long lost Croatian relative.

Haha, that one certainly didn't age well. Hated the Buchnevich trade and still do.

Speaking of Russians, I always wondered why Vladimir Vorobiev never got a longer look when the team was trash.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Perhaps he was talking about Buchnevic, Pavel Buchnevich's long lost Croatian relative.

Haha, that one certainly didn't age well. Hated the Buchnevich trade and still do.

Speaking of Russians, I always wondered why Vladimir Vorobiev never got a longer look when the team was trash.
At the time, Buchnevich reminded me a lot of Turcotte. Always a puss on his face like he was dying. I will admit I turned out to be wrong, but I didn't like him.

Reactions: klingsor

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Bob Brooks
Bob Brooke sure did have an amazing playoff, following his very best NHL season
1705775240088.png

Wtp99

May 8, 2021
Willie Huber. Was supposed to be the second of the twin towers with Barry Beck.
too bad that didn’t turn out like it was supposed to

Reactions: majordomo

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Why go into the draft with no intention of coming to North America? I love these waste of draft picks
Not sure what ‘go into the draft’ means.
And. ‘No intention of coming to North America’ is just making stuff up
Teams can choose to draft any age-eligible player. ( maybe mixing up how NCAA BB players can opt in sooner than Senior year?)

This guy spent D1 and D2 in WHL

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Not sure what ‘go into the draft’ means.
And. ‘No intention of coming to North America’ is just making stuff up
Teams can choose to draft any age-eligible player. ( maybe mixing up how NCAA BB players can opt in sooner than Senior year?)

This guy spent D1 and D2 in WHL
And then went back home after drafted by the Rangers? Even prospects don't want to be here

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Did I bring up Sandy McCarthy yet? I feel like I did but if I didn't one of my most memorable goals ever was in the first season I was watching the Rangers 00-01 he serves a penalty and comes out of the penalty box receives a pass and scores a beaitful goal on a breakaway. I don't remember what team we played. But he had good hands for someone that was supposed to be a goon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad